Logitech Harmony 915-000194 Smart Control $70 eBay

This is an excellent universal remote package. It can learn to control just about anything. I use mine for fans, heaters, clocks, in addition to my PC and HT systems. The smartphone app works great, too.

Been using this remove for a while with my HTPCs and love it.

The battery on this lasts forever since it doesn't have a screen to power.

is this better than the old harmony one? If so, why? Doesn't seem to have a touch screen.

is this better than the old harmony one? If so, why? Doesn't seem to have a touch screen.

You can use your phone and/or tablet to control everything. Blows away the tiny screen on the One, IMO.

You can use your phone and/or tablet to control everything. Blows away the tiny screen on the One, IMO.
I wonder why they have limits on how many activities/devices it can control. Certainly not a limitation of a phone (not that I'd need more activities, but some could).

I wonder why they have limits on how many activities/devices it can control. Certainly not a limitation of a phone (not that I'd need more activities, but some could).

I think some of it is simple market segmentation. They have more expensive products for additional activities/devices. Part is also tied to physical buttons. There are 3 activity buttons and you get 2 activities for each (short press / long press).

Someone compared it to the Harmony One. The thing that pushed me toward this, if I recall.. this one integrates with the latest ecosystem so it can be programmed from a tablet or phone. It also allows greater control, including integrating pauses in your activities. I needed this feature for a device that needs to boot, then switch inputs. My One couldn't get it done. It's also nice in that the remote controls the hub via radio rather than IR.

This is a great remote. I have the more expensive Elite for my home theater but mostly prefer the Smart Control At least with both, they've reversed the horrible trend of having the play/fast fwd/rewind buttons where they make sense, rather than on the front tip of the device.

Here's a screen of the Watch TV activity from my tablet. That star at the bottom is where all my channel presets are accessed. The pointed finger opens a screen on which you can trace different motions for volume, channel changes, etc. Those icons on the right are the devices programmed into my Smart Control.

Last edited:
Back