LGA 1356 QPI links vs LGA 2011

Spun Ducky

Gawd
So a local company is liquidating some dual socket LGA 1356 boards for very cheap.(sub $100) I can source cpus fairly cheap as well it seems from online sources.

Is the LGA 1356 platform that much worse than LGA 2011? It looks to basically be the same cpus as the very popular 2670 builds going around just lower clocked and less power usage on a different socket.

The big difference I see is 1 vs 2 QPI links and my concern is would I be able to run a few games here and there besides the main use being virtual machines. The one game that comes to mind is Battlefield 1 and mix it with AMD based cards for mantle.

I personally would not bother with a 1356 system. The max base CPU speed I am seeing is 2.5Ghz unless you go with a dual core which the max I am seeing is 2.8Ghz.

1356 also only has triple channel RAM. 2011 had quad.

That is on eBay. Intel doesn't even list anything that high on their site:

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2400 Product Family

edit:
1356 also only has 24 PCIe lanes compared to the 40 of 2011 (cpu dependent)

Yeah, agree with cyclone. It's a lesser known/avail socket that's not compatible with 1366 or 2011. you are buying into a dead end.

So a local company is liquidating some dual socket LGA 1356 boards for very cheap.(sub $100) I can source cpus fairly cheap as well it seems from online sources.

Is the LGA 1356 platform that much worse than LGA 2011? It looks to basically be the same cpus as the very popular 2670 builds going around just lower clocked and less power usage on a different socket.

The big difference I see is 1 vs 2 QPI links and my concern is would I be able to run a few games here and there besides the main use being virtual machines. The one game that comes to mind is Battlefield 1 and mix it with AMD based cards for mantle.

As the others stated, it's not worth it. The socket is a dead end, and there is absolutely no support whatsoever beyond the few Sandy Bridge EN- and Ivy Bridge EN-based low-clocked Xeons that were released for it. Plus, LGA 1356 was rendered redundant with the improved peformance of the LGA 115x CPUs (albeit the LGA 115x socket is restricted to uniprocessor support).

Last edited:
Back