Laptop USB ports not supplying enough power to phone and tablet.

DEVICES:
-MSI GL65 Leopard 10sek-022
-Redmi Note 9S, USB 2
-Chuwi Hipad X, USB 2

Notice my laptop isn't supplying enough power to my devices and see a gradually battery drain on those 2.
Have Cool Tool say they usually use 500-800ma playing games and my power bank can charge them while in use but I see a drain when I have them connected to the laptop.

Here's why:

USB 2 ports are by design restricted to only 500 mA (2.5W) output - maximum. Most modern mobile devices, however, require 1,000 mA (1.0A/5.0W) or more just to prevent the batteries from draining faster than the charger can keep up. And IIRC the Note 9S requires a 2.0A (2,000 mA, or 10W) or higher charger to even charge properly.

Whereas, most power banks can output up to 2.1A (2100 mA, or 10.5W), which is why your devices can be charged properly in your power bank.

Last edited:
Here's why:

USB 2 ports are by design restricted to only 500 mA (2.5W) output - maximum. Most modern mobile devices, however, require 1,000 mA (1.0A/5.0W) or more just to prevent the batteries from draining faster than the charger can keep up. And IIRC the Note 9S requires a 2.0A (2,000 mA, or 10W) or higher charger to even charge properly.

Whereas, most power banks can output up to 2.1A (2100 mA, or 10.5W), which is why your devices can be charged properly in your power bank.
Ya, I know about the USB 2 port current limits, was hoping the USB 3 ports supplied enough.

so devices are 2.0 but laptop is 3 and wont charge them correctly? if thats correct, check in the bios for usb power saving stuff and look in any msi control panel software that might be installed.

I tested on my phone and a USB meter, it charges at .95A or 950mA on my laptop but the same port USB 3 port charges my old tablet at .42A or 420mA. It seems you're still limited to the USB 2 power spec by the devices themselves even if you're using USB 3 ports.

Ya, I know about the USB 2 port current limits, was hoping the USB 3 ports supplied enough.
Your devices might also be using proprietary charging technology for fast charging. In other words, with normal computer ports (whether USB 2 or USB 3) you'll only get 500 mA of output from those ports with your devices unless such a port also supports fast charging.

Back