Votes: 7 18.9%
  • I don't have a KVM but want one.

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • I have a KVM, but want to upgrade it.

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters

zandor

Supreme [H]ardness
I've finally gotten around to getting a KVM switch. Damn I've needed one of these things for years. No more screwing around with extra keyboards & mice or re-plugging video cables to work on another system or my server box.

Here's my (slightly fucked up) setup:
19" CRT -> Main Rig GFFX5200PCI
24" CRT -> Main Rig GF6800GT main screen
-> Manual video switch
20" CRT -> KVM
KVM -> Main Rig GF6800GT 2nd screen
-> Server
-> Spare
-> Manual video switch
Manual Switch -> USB TV Tuner box. It has a remote & a VGA out, so it doesn't actually need to be connected to a computer to watch TV.

Now I can switch one of my side screens between my main rig, server, TV box, and something else (spare connection), and using the manual switch and dual monitor inputs send the output from the USB TV box to either my main screen or the side screen attached to the KVM. My machine seems OK with having 2 USB cables coming from the KVM, so if I'm using the side screen for TV or as a monitor on my main rig the KB & mouse still work.

KVMs are nice but for my home setup remote desktop does the trick alright, and free as well

use dual IOgear 4 port Extremes driving two 21" monitors at up to 2048x1536 per

GCS1734.jpg

various dual head graphics cards from ancient to my Quadro FX3000

I can't remember what I use, its pretty nice but doesn't have USB and doesn't recognize my MX500 so i wanna upgrade to something that will do that. I will also be needing DVI as well.

</3 new tech comming out so fast

KVMs are the shit. Before i had one i had to do a complete gentoo stage one headless install from ssh. (hell yeah booting the livecd and changing the root pw and starting ssh and networking blind!)

Now that i have one, i hit my hot switch key (scroll lock twice then up arrow) and it jumps to the linux compy and im good to go!

I had one but i didn't like it. It was a Belkin with 2 sets of cable, usb support. But for some reason it never picked up my mouse/keyboard functions (media buttons, back/forward buttons, volume). So i never use it anymore, I just use RDP.

sitheris said:
I had one but i didn't like it. It was a Belkin with 2 sets of cable, usb support. But for some reason it never picked up my mouse/keyboard functions (media buttons, back/forward buttons, volume). So i never use it anymore, I just use RDP.

The "Cables to Go" one I picked up at TigerDirect seems to be doing ok w/ my mouse. Well, aside from one little problem. The volume buttons are adjusting balance, not volume. WTF? I'll blame XP64 for this one though. OTOH, I don't recall actually having tried them in XP32 or without the KVM hooked up. I usually just use the knob on my speakers. It's more convenient. :) The forward & back buttons an the wheel are fine.

I have no clue if the "extra" buttons on some keyboards would work. I'm happily using my 14yo IBM Model M made on 6/13/1991. I'm quite happy the KVM likes the keyboard, since for some reason my current mobo doesn't. I was stuck using a crappy membrane keyboard for a while.

Here's the one I've got: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1068266&CatId=598

I have a TrendNet 4 port one. It actually handles games a lot better than a TrippLite I used to have at work (used to have mouse/keyboard lag). No lag with the Trendnet at all. Only PS2/Analog though...

Back