Just for funsies: 3DLabs' Wildcat Realizm 800

offtone

Limp Gawd
http://www.3dlabs.com/products/product.asp?prod=293

Am curious: are these cards even up to gaming use? I mean, 640mb of memory is impressive, but is it safe to assume that if these cards do own at games, the crazy bleeding-edge hardware nuts on these forums would be toting them over their 7800 GTXs? They just look so awesome...

Those cards are horrible for gaming. Infact some will not even play games due to the fact that they do not have direct 3d support. These cards are good for rendering/cad type applications.

Unknown-One said:
And if its drivers were actualy OPTIMIZED for games, how would it perform? :eek:

Probably slowly. The GPU architecture of those things is completely different from that of a gamers card. I don't really know, but that's a guess. I wish someone would 3D Mark the damn thing and get these questions over with. This comes up every couple months. Someone somewhere on here has to have access to one.

trudude said:
Those cards are horrible for gaming. Infact some will not even play games due to the fact that they do not have direct 3d support. These cards are good for rendering/cad type applications.

They do support D3D.

* OpenGL ® 2.0 (Full support when ratified)
* OpenGL 1.5 with OpenGL Shading Language
* Microsoft DirectX ® 9.0 with High Level Shader Language (HLSL, VS 2.0, PS 3.0)
* Supports optional Wildcat Realizm Multiview card for framelock/genlock capabilities

Every 3 months or so someone finds these and brings them up thinking they found the next big thing.

And every 3 months or so we have to let them know that they perform worse than a Geforce 4 or a R9700 in games.

For example, here http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2335 is a review with a Realizm 200 in it and if you look a the pro stuff it is great, but in Doom 3 it only got 5.4fps when the 6800 Ultra got over 75fps with the same settings.

==>Lazn

inotocracy said:
They do support D3D.
They must have just started to support it. I promise you though that even a Radeon 9200 could beat it in just about all games.

Lazn_Work said:
Every 3 months or so someone finds these and brings them up thinking they found the next big thing.

And every 3 months or so we have to let them know that they perform worse than a Geforce 4 or a R9700 in games.

For example, here http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2335 is a review with a Realizm 200 in it and if you look a the pro stuff it is great, but in Doom 3 it only got 5.4fps when the 6800 Ultra got over 75fps with the same settings.

==>Lazn

Ouch I had never seen that review before. One interesting note about it is that even teh 6800Ultra pounds the Quadro FX4000 when used in games, of course in the applicable programs, the Quadro hands the 6800Ultra it's ass.

The Doom 3 performance of that professional graphics card was just sad. That's like right about what you'd get with a Radeon 7000. (Don't laugh, I actually tried to play Doom 3 with one.)

trudude said:
They must have just started to support it. I promise you though that even a Radeon 9200 could beat it in just about all games.

Without a DOUBT that is absolutely true.

Yes, these cards are for rendering/CAD applications. They are used for spatial math, not drawing images. The hardware is completely different. All your Geforces and Radeons do is find the quickest way to draw the image, minimal space calculations are implemented.

Back