Jetway Mini-ITX Geode boards are coming!

Boxcar

Weaksauce
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this or not but since most of the Mini-ITX discussions happen here...

Looks like Jetway will release the Mini-ITX Geode boards soon. I'm Definitely excited. This should offer some seriously strong competition to the Mini-ITX market, not to mention some added performance. Details are a little scarce at the moment but hopefully we will be seeing 1.2GHz, 1.5GHz, and 1.7GHz boards on the market over the next month or so. I can't wait to get my hands on the 1.7GHz. I'm not sure exactly how much info I can share but the 1.7GHz should consume around 14W and the others should be 9W. Anyways just thought I'd share my excitement.

-Boxcar

The 1.7GHz board should be around the same price as the VIA EN-15000. So I'm assumming about $250.00. Haven't seen the prices for the others yet.

If they have dual nics they could make some nice little firewall routers. I'm interested.

swatbat said:
If they have dual nics they could make some nice little firewall routers. I'm interested.

I'll try and get a pic up when I get my hands on it along w/ more specs. Hopefully these boards will allow the use of the daughter boards. Then you could turn them into almost anything:)

Wow... that didn't take long! :rolleyes: What, Geode was announced 2 years ago?

Should be about 5x as fast as a 1GHz Eden.

sleepeeg3 said:
Wow... that didn't take long! :rolleyes: What, Geode was announced 2 years ago?

Should be about 5x as fast as a 1GHz Eden.

LOL. I know what you mean. There are some boards floating around. Most of what's available is ATX form factor. What I'm excited about is Jetway's Mini-ITX release. Especially if they keep the daughterboards on this line.

I don't know about the five times faster thing but it should no doubt be faster then any similarly priced VIA including the C7. As a CarPC owner I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they can do.

I got my first 1.4GHz NX1750 Geode based Mini-ITX mother board from Jetway on Tuesday. It looks like they should be available by mid October. I will be conducting some basic tests through out the week and weekend and wanted to know if anyone wanted to see any specific test results. Right now the setup is a bit of a mess as I'm running it on my test bench. I'll take some pics as soon as I strip it down for placement in a proper enclosure.

j7f3_resized.jpg

Man, these should be on 65nm and 1W by now! Oh ya, I already ranted on this... :p

What are your CarPC boot times like? What OS are you using? If you have any, try running some high quality DivX and see how smooth it runs.

sleepeeg3 said:
Man, these should be on 65nm and 1W by now! Oh ya, I already ranted on this... :p

What are your CarPC boot times like? What OS are you using?
LOL. Not even VIA, who's specialty it low power processors, has pulled that one off. Compared to the VIA C7 boards this thing is a power house at around the same power consumption. I know the chip has been around for a while but now that it's found a new market I hope AMD develops more alternatives.

It hasn't made it to my CarPC setup yet. My car actually goes in for some work on Monday to finish getting myself show worthy for Sevenstock:) I'm going to try my best to get it in there over the weekend but I have a lot of wiring to do before it makes it to the audio shop.

I'm testing under Windows XP Pro most of what I'm looking at is temps and performance compared to the available alternatives in the price range. If you want any specific tests run let me know.

Sorry about all the edits. I'm still waiting for the caffine to kick in. Been working since 5am and my brain is still fighting me.

sleepeeg3 - I ran some video tests over the weekend. Hopefully these are high quality enough as they were all I was able to locate

System Specs:

Jetway J7F3E1750 / NX1750 Geode processor
512MB DDR266 PQI
2.5" IDE 5400rpm 100GB Seagate Momentus
20pin ATX PSU

Software:

Windows XP Pro
Media Player Classic
Klite codec pack 27ef

Video Tests:

old Harry Potter movie
XVID
2 parts
Average file size - 610MB
640x272 25FPS
MPEG Audio Layer 3 344100HZ Stereo 127kbps
Played in full screen on 800x600 VGA display
*Zero lag, no frames skipped even in the higher action scenes and audio remained in sync

Requiem for a Dream
XVID
2parts
Average file size - 716MB
720x416 25fps
Audio - Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 448Kbps
*Zero lag, no frames skipped even in the higher action scenes and audio remained in sync

Snatch
DIVX
2parts
Average file size - 713MB
640x352 25fps
Audio - Dolby AC3 48000Hz 5ch 448Kbps
*There was a split sec pause during Columbia Pictures intro on the first attempt. It didn't happen the second time I played the file. Zero lag, no frames skipped even in the higher action scenes and audio remained in sync.

System temps:
varied by about 2C during playback.

I hope that answers your question. If you have any more please let me know.

MD_Willington said:
How much was the Jetway J7F3E1750 boxcar?

I saw your post over at Via arena BTW..

Well the price is not definite until I get my invoice for approval but it looks like they should be around $230.00US. I put a quantity on hold a while ago and they should be here by the end of the week. I know it's not cheap but it will out perform any similarly priced boards.

I love that place. A lot of cool people over there. I just wish I could better answer their questions about the Linux side of it.

Is this not the forum for Via and not Amd?

Actually i kinda miss via. Have they been preforming well in the itx/btx market?

wera said:
Is this not the forum for Via and not Amd?

Actually i kinda miss via. Have they been preforming well in the itx/btx market?

If you read the first post it will explain why I placed this here.

Boxcar said:
If you read the first post it will explain why I placed this here.
I did read it :p..Just wondering..Im mor interested in how well via is doing >_>.

If I remember correctly, aren't AMD Geode CPUs based off of The T-bred core?

If so, it's no surprise that the 1750 performs so well, as it's basically an Athlon XP 1600+ (I think the 1750 actually runs at 1.4Ghz).

Additionally, I saw another Mini-ITX Geode board here:

http://www.liantec.com/product/emboard/ITX-6700.htm

Now, the fun starts when we figure out if we can obtain the boards only and if we can use regular Athlon XPs/XP-Ms (that many of us probably have lying around) in place of the Geode CPUs :).

Boxcar said:
Here's some pics of the board

J7F3E1750 Pictures

Well, that socket doesn't look at all familiar...

I wonder if you could get a bare board and just put an AMD Duron chip in it? (I think they have 1.6GHz selling for something like $20 right now at NE)

I wonder if you could get a bare board and just put an AMD Duron chip in it? (I think they have 1.6GHz selling for something like $20 right now at NE)
Depends on the power consumption, the geode boards have a rudimentary VRM becuase they only use a small amount of power... add in something that uses more power and you may strain the VRM.

Boxcar, that board looks well made.

Jawadali, the liantec board is a spitting image of the PCCHIPS version of the geode board.. the hardware is CHEAP... though the lower power consumption may provide a safeguard for the cheap hardware...

The Geode NX is just an undervolted, underclocked Athlon XP 130nm chip.

If you want, you can do the same with an Athlon 64 and the Albatron MiniITX 754 board.

Boxcar said:
I hope that answers your question. If you have any more please let me know.
Sounds like it fills in Via's main fault. nice. :)

defaultluser said:
The Geode NX is just an undervolted, underclocked Athlon XP 130nm chip.

If you want, you can do the same with an Athlon 64 and the Albatron MiniITX 754 board.
Does the Alby allow undervolting?

vincentfox said:
Can you measure real power consumption on your sample?

I have a customer running one with the 1x Gigabit LAN daughter board who says she is between 50-60 watts and 39-45 watts with PowerNow. I know she's running 1GB of RAM and I'm pretty sure she's using a 3.5" hard drive.

Back