It's official: Windows 10 will ship with DirectX 12

I highly doubt that API-level features of DirectX 12 will be supported on other versions of Windows. Mainstream support is already ending on Windows 7. New major versions of DirectX are the only way Microsoft gets gamers to upgrade to new Windows versions. With DX12 being a major paradigm shift, I don't think Microsoft would jeopardize any potential revenue from those gamers holding out on W7.

I highly doubt that API-level features of DirectX 12 will be supported on other versions of Windows. Mainstream support is already ending on Windows 7. New major versions of DirectX are the only way Microsoft gets gamers to upgrade to new Windows versions. With DX12 being a major paradigm shift, I don't think Microsoft would jeopardize any potential revenue from those gamers holding out on W7.

Short sighted as hell. Guess you haven't heard of SteamOS.

Hardly SteamOS will do any damage to windows.. its focused as exclusive Media Center more than a typical PC..anyway i'll download the day one when available.. =)..

I've heard of SteamOS and also know about current limitations of porting a game built around DirectX to OpenGL and run on Linux. Metro: Last Light does not run as well on Linux as it does on Windows. I also don't see many developers jumping on the SteamOS bandwagon as it will create another fractured ecosystem in addition to the one that already exists with home consoles.

I would love for an alternative to Windows to take off as far as gaming is concerned, as the direction Microsoft has been heading for in the past decade really upsets me. But realistically SteamOS is not going to make a large enough dent in market share for anyone to notice.

If they provided a Windows 7 shell that we could slap on top and made it easy to upgrade for a reasonable price (< $40), I'd get it.

Otherwise it doesn't really interest me enough to bother with the hassle.

I usually skip a windows version so Windows 10 is my next OS, good that DX12 is going to ship integrated. Hopefully we have some apps to flex those muscles. Unreal is supposedly running in DX12 behind closed doors and it runs like a champ. I'm sure we'll see others.

they better give windows 8/8.1 users a free upgrade, this is starting to look like call of duty franchise, a new windows all the time..

they better give windows 8/8.1 users a free upgrade, this is starting to look like call of duty franchise, a new windows all the time..

I think windows 8.1 users will already be able to upgrade to windows 10 free of cost

but the real question is when is the first DX12 game going to be released

Not that I agree with these constant upgrades but Apple does it all the time. And their fanboys buy each and every update. Granted the price is 1/2 of what microsoft charges. I did hear a rumor that windows 8 users will get windows 10 for free.

What? Windows 8 is 2 years old. Windows 7 was released 2 years before that and vista 2 years before 7. This is nothing new. 2 years in the tech world is ancient.

but the real question is when is the first DX12 game going to be released

As I understood it DX12 inherently will perform somewhat better even with feature-level 11 titles that have already been released. Will need to check into this again ;).

Glad to hear DX12 is coming with Win10, people are already reporting 5% gains in 3dm Firestrike in the somewhat-outdated Tech Preview that Microsoft recently released.

Not that I agree with these constant upgrades but Apple does it all the time. And their fanboys buy each and every update. Granted the price is 1/2 of what microsoft charges. I did hear a rumor that windows 8 users will get windows 10 for free.

Paid $15 to upgrade most of my PC's to Win8 from Win7 and $40 for one of them... a couple of years ago. Been worth every penny, and Win10 most assuredly will be as well. I have heard Microsoft may provide Win10 for free to Win8 users regardless.

Here's the important thing people should pay attention to:

In related news, Langley's post says Microsoft has worked with Epic Games to add a DirectX 12 branch of the Unreal Engine 4 source code to the official UE4 GitHub repository. The branch is based on the latest UE4 release, version 4.4, and it should be accessible to UE4 subscribers who also belong to Microsoft's DirectX Early Access program. (Thanks to TR reader SH SOTN for the link.)

In short, there will be a LOT of DX12-ready titles as soon as Win10 launches, both UE4 and other engines have or are already implementing support. The optimizations on draw calls that DX12 brings are extremely easy to QA for and implement with these sorts of implementations on supported engines, meaning you will realize a notable performance boost in Win10 with those games.

People keep saying all these things about Win10 and Directx 12 and how its going to be great for gaming, but what exactly is it going to do? I have looked for everything I could and it doesn't seem much for Win10, other than really making an updated 8 that looks more like 7.

Some cool features like multiple desktops, and the snap, but what else? What performance gain are we going to see in games, as someone said earlier a 5% gain, but from what? Will there be better multi-monitor support, load times? etc..

And for DX12, Nvidia's new lighting technique requires it, correct? Wheat else will DX12 be bringing, and why would someone who is on W7 want to upgrade to W10 for it?

Thanks, these are all just honest questions that I want some answers to.

DX12 will mainly be bringing developers the ability to get "closer to the metal" and implement more efficient draw calls, reducing CPU overhead and (theoretically) leading to better performance across the board.

I'm sure there are a few new featuresets in there too.

People keep saying all these things about Win10 and Directx 12 and how its going to be great for gaming, but what exactly is it going to do? I have looked for everything I could and it doesn't seem much for Win10, other than really making an updated 8 that looks more like 7.

Some cool features like multiple desktops, and the snap, but what else? What performance gain are we going to see in games, as someone said earlier a 5% gain, but from what? Will there be better multi-monitor support, load times? etc..

And for DX12, Nvidia's new lighting technique requires it, correct? Wheat else will DX12 be bringing, and why would someone who is on W7 want to upgrade to W10 for it?

Pretty much what Ericksrocks says above ^^^ and also Think of it as a Mantle concept but even Better.

if we judge whatever has gone before us, then not much.
PC games lag behind the curve anyhow.
we might have better games in the rpg circuit like more objects on screen like RPG games or like starcraft or star citizen.

Performance will be from a die shrink of the gpu cards. mantle btw is superior to DX12 anyhow.
if you use a amd card.
the one thing Mantle does and that DX12 will add is a better framepacing a smoother gameplay there be less overhead so the game frames wont stall as they been doing with DX.

windows has to be able to conform to many things so building it efficiently is though.
amd have with mantle done PC gamers a great service, they pretty much forced DX12 to happen.

another major benefit is that DX12 scales much better across multiple cores

if we judge whatever has gone before us, then not much.
PC games lag behind the curve anyhow.
we might have better games in the rpg circuit like more objects on screen like RPG games or like starcraft or star citizen.

Performance will be from a die shrink of the gpu cards. mantle btw is superior to DX12 anyhow.
if you use a amd card.
the one thing Mantle does and that DX12 will add is a better framepacing a smoother gameplay there be less overhead so the game frames wont stall as they been doing with DX.

windows has to be able to conform to many things so building it efficiently is though.
amd have with mantle done PC gamers a great service, they pretty much forced DX12 to happen.

So very much wrong in this post, tagging for later debunking tonight...... :eek:.

Back