Is my 4770k a dud?

Ihaveworms

Ukfay Ancerkay
I tried for the first time overclocking my 4770k. The last processor I have overclocked was a Q6600, so all these new settings and voltages are unfamiliar to me. There seem to be so many now.

I was looking at this guide: http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/overclock_intel_4770k_guide/3.htm to get an idea where to start (if you know of a better one, tell me). I left everything auto and set the cpu voltage to 1.25v. I then set the multiplier at 42 to get the cpu to 4.2ghz. When I ran the new version of prime95, I was getting in the upper 80s celcius and my system was BSODing. I was planning on starting my CPU voltage high and then working my way down. But BSODing at 1.25v at 4.2ghz? That seems pretty bad compared to other people's experience.

Even when I tried OC Genie on my board it wasn't stable.

Last edited:
Are you using the stock cooler? If not, You may need to reapply paste and reseat , sometimes you put too much paste or just get a bad seating and it can make the temps higher than normal.

Temps are perfectly normal considering the voltage. I'd look into your load-line calibration settings and adjusting CPU input voltage.

Temps are perfectly normal considering the voltage. I'd look into your load-line calibration settings and adjusting CPU input voltage.

I don't see anything like load-line calibration voltage. Is there another name it may go by?

Back