Is 8th gen Intel CPU already dead?

DTN107

Supreme [H]ardness
So I'm catching up on the latest and greatest hardware after taking a break these past few years.

From what I understand, buying an 8th gen CPU means you are pretty much locked to only Z370 boards since there is no backwards compatibility with Z170/Z270 and the lower variants boards.

I'm also reading around that the 9th gen Intel CPU will be on an entirely new socket. So... doesn't this kinda screws over the 8th gen down the road when you need a replacement board (especially an overclock-able board)? I guess I kinda see that the used market wouldn't be as abundant as Z170 and Z270 boards.

The same case scenario would also apply if the CPU is an OEM chip and took a crap. The user will only be limited to 8th gen CPUs since 6th/7th and 9th gen won't work in the Z370 boards.

I guess I'm thinking that it seems to be better to just skip out the 8th gen. Anyone else agree with me?

Where did you read 9th gen would be a new socket? It´s still LGA1151.

How is this different than normal?

Unless you get the x99 board(x79, x99, x299, x399) — the prosumer boards vs the z70 series consumer boards (z87, z170, z270, z370) you can almost expect your board will only support one CPU generation from Intel. History has laid out this expectation.

I bet more people upgrade their CPU/MOBO after using them for years instead of incrementally upgrading their CPU everytime a new one comes out. The 9700k or even the next one after that will not make the 8700k obsolete. The 8700k was excellent last month, right now, next month, next year and also in the next two years.

I change out my Intel CPU every time I buy my new iPhone each year.

Back