iPhone question

aaronearles

[H]ard|Gawd
My girlfriends iPod just got stolen, so she wants a replacement for christmas, but before she was asking for a new cell phone, so of course I think iPhone. However, she has T-Mobile, and is not currently willing to switch, but T-Mobile sells the iPhone in Germany. Does anyone know if I can buy one from Germany and change the language options, and successfully activate it on TMO US?

Def. By one around here, update it to lastest firmware. Simply jailbreak it and download anysim off installer, or use the Idemocracy app. There are more than a few ways of doing it. Im running ATT on mine, but i see people discussing it constantly and it seems pretty easy.

In all honesty, if she wants an iphone, she should really switch to att. Getting an unlocked phone from Germany works in theory, but only U.S. iphones can be serviced/replaced in the U.S., which means if she happens to have something go wrong, one of you will be flying to Germany to get the phone serviced. Beyond all of that, an unlocked iphone from t-mobile Germany will run you about $1478 before you figure out how to get it from there to here.

On a similar note, Apple will not service hacked/jailbroken/user unlocked phones. So if she finds herself needing her phone replaced, she will kindly be told that the only solution is buying a new phone at full retail price.

That said, does she have a legitimate reason for not wanting to leave t-mobile?

Cingular is a legitimate reason not to switch, although t-mobile sucks too. I figured, with tmobile offering the phone in Germany, there would be no need for it to be unlocked. Not to mention, shipping the phone back for service doesn't seem like that big of a deal since she has to do that now anyway.

I would be a bit cautious about getting the Germany unlocked iPhone and bringing it back tot he states to use. It maybe work perfectly fine, but I would hate to see you blow the cash and then have some serious problems. Especially with the high markup they are charging for the unlocked phone to begin with, it might just be cheaper to switch to AT&T or attempt to buy a locked phone in the states and unlock it.

whoa whoa whoa. A few post in here are scaring me. First off, no need to get the unlocked phone from Germany. You can do it yourself very easily.

second, if you ever had any problems, simply revert back to latest firmware before bringing it to the apple store.

third, its not like an unstable hack. Very simple to do, and since the last time I responded, i had to do it for a buddy of mine. (used app off of installer, very simple.)

There are many many guides out there to do it, just might require a little bit of reading. But it is safe, and you should have no worries. I am now on ATT and verizon, but only because verizon does not have GSM capabilities which the iphone needs.

If you ever need more specific help let me know.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Back