Ipad 2018 or Ipad Pro 10.5" (can't decide)

Maddnotez

Limp Gawd
This is for my son. His Tablet crapped the bed (a piece inside broke off blocking the charging port)

It is time for an upgrade. I have researched the specs and am leaning towards the 10.5'' Pro which I believe is 2017 and part of Best Buy's Black Friday ad.

If I am not mistaken it has 120hz refresh rate, 4GB of RAM and the better processor. So to me, these 3 things alone are the reason I want to get him this one. Sure, he is 8 and probably won't know the difference but I fully expect 4 years out of this Tablet and he will be downloading games like Fortnite which I feel might need that extra RAM.

What are your thoughts? I am not sure if I am missing anything or if I am making the right move here for the extra cost. The one thing I still question is 64gb enough storage? The new Pro 11" is not an option.

the 120hz refresh rate is for the touch sensor, your screen isn't 120hz.

I have the 2017 10.5" Pro 256GB and I love it. The only Apple product I own after dumping the iPhone.

The 10.5" size is perfect for my needs Very impressed with it. I also paired it with the adjustable ZUGU case which is perfect for getting the right angle no matter what surface you place the tablet on. Can't stress how much this helps if you are using it on your lap or in bed.

Also 120Hz is applied to the entire screen, web browsing is nice and smooth.

Last edited:
Seems to be a bit of a confusion on the refresh rate. Idk anything about it.

1 says screen isn't 120. Other says entire screen.

:(

The screen actually is 120Hz on the iPad Pro 2017. It’s called ProMotion.
That's what I saw when researching.

I guess for me the biggest thing is the RAM. 2GB VS 4GB

The tablet will be mostly used for Fortnite and YouTube.

I figured the RAM, cpu speed and refresj would be a huge benefit.

That's what I saw when researching.

I guess for me the biggest thing is the RAM. 2GB VS 4GB

The tablet will be mostly used for Fortnite and YouTube.

I figured the RAM, cpu speed and refresj would be a huge benefit.
I think an iPad Pro is overkill for just Fortnite and YouTube. But that’s your call.

Also keep in mind that despite the 120Hz refresh rate, I’m fairly positive that Fortnite is currently capped to 30 FPS on mobile platforms. You’ll likely get better graphics, but not 120 FPS.

I just sold my 2017 iPad and iPad Pro 10.5" to buy a 2018 iPad Pro 11". I'd go with the iPad Pro 10.5". There should be some nice price breaks with the holiday shopping season. The screen alone is worth it, IMO.

I just sold my 2017 iPad and iPad Pro 10.5" to buy a 2018 iPad Pro 11". I'd go with the iPad Pro 10.5". There should be some nice price breaks with the holiday shopping season. The screen alone is worth it, IMO.
As od now there is a $200 difference. The 10.5" is at Best Buy with a "Black Friday" price of $525. It is a bit steeper so that is why I am on the fence. After getting some replies I am now leaning to the regular Ipad. Since Fortnite will most likely be the most demanding game and if 4GB is not needed then that is a big price difference. Although I have not played many games to see how it runs, Fortnite does in fact run on my Galaxy S8+ and keep in mind this Tablet is for an 8 year old.

As od now there is a $200 difference. The 10.5" is at Best Buy with a "Black Friday" price of $525. It is a bit steeper so that is why I am on the fence. After getting some replies I am now leaning to the regular Ipad. Since Fortnite will most likely be the most demanding game and if 4GB is not needed then that is a big price difference. Although I have not played many games to see how it runs, Fortnite does in fact run on my Galaxy S8+ and keep in mind this Tablet is for an 8 year old.
If this is for an 8 year old I’d definitely go with the regular 2018 iPad. I don’t think they’d recognize or appreciate the advantages of an iPad Pro honestly. They’ll just be happy to have something that plays Fortnite and YouTube.

Yeah, 8 yo? Get the cheapest one. Although I would suggest a cheap TV and an NVidia Shield or something.

Back