IP Phones on PCs without server?

leSLIe

Fisting is Too Mainstream for Me
When you have IP phones, you can use a PC as a "phone" provided you have installed the correct program and have a headset.

I have a small network (workgroup, win7) of 5 PCs (With no IP phones, or Asterix, PBX server, or similar.) And I want to make them communicate as an IP Phone network, e.g.: Call PC#1 from PC#4. Is this possible? In order to do that, do I have to have some sort of server?

thanx

When you have IP phones, you can use a PC as a "phone" provided you have installed the correct program and have a headset.

I have a small network (workgroup, win7) of 5 PCs (With no IP phones, or Asterix, PBX server, or similar.) And I want to make them communicate as an IP Phone network, e.g.: Call PC#1 from PC#4. Is this possible? In order to do that, do I have to have some sort of server?

thanx

SIP phones have to talk to a server of some kind to work at all. In this case, they need a SIP capable PBX. (be it Asterisk or something else)

SIP phones have to talk to a server of some kind to work at all. In this case, they need a SIP capable PBX. (be it Asterisk or something else)

I see, I'll look into it.
I just want to be able to call a PC in the network from other PC

I see, I'll look into it.
I just want to be able to call a PC in the network from other PC
Do you have Lync/Skype for Business? That can do it with your existing infrastructure, you may need headsets for the PCs though.

Back