intel over via

syonide

Weaksauce
what is the problem of having a via chipset over an intel cuz am getting a board with a via chipset and everyone keeps telling me to get intelchip set cuz its more stable for the pd805

Uh, because VIA chipsets are a lot cheaper, lower quality, and lower performance. VIA can be great for many things, but I think they are a very bad option when you can get an NForce chipset for only a little bit more.

yeah, i would stay away from via if you are looking for performance. they are great for budget builds, but they lack many features that better chipsets offer.

compslckr said:

Well the first two won't work with the Pentium D, you need an Intel 945 chipset for it. The via board isn't bad, but it doesn't oc well, which is what you normally want to do if you're buying a PD 805, but it is upgradeable with a Core 2 Duo chip and it's the cheapest board out right now that supports Core 2 Duo.

all am tring to do is get my pd 805 to 3.8 with the voltage at 1.2-1.3 i have it at 3.6 so is there any software i can use with that via board to rais vcore voltage

The last time I used a VIA chipset it was the KT133(a?) on my AMD K6-2 450mhz, and it was the most unstable trashy motherboard I have ever touched (at this was with no OCing whatsoever). Since then I have gone back to Intel Processors plus Intel Chipsets and not had the stream of issues I had with the VIA.

They could have (I surely hope they have) gotten better since then, but VIA has never been known for high stability or high performance chipsets, just for being cheap and running cool.

I have a via chipset on my main build... it's great, stable, lots of features, didn't cost a lot.

BUT! and this is a big but... the via southbridge on my board does not support SATA drives over 300gb!

Just something to keep in mind... you seem to run into *those* kinds of limits more often on the budget chipsets.

NulloModo said:
The last time I used a VIA chipset it was the KT133(a?) on my AMD K6-2 450mhz, and it was the most unstable trashy motherboard I have ever touched (at this was with no OCing whatsoever). Since then I have gone back to Intel Processors plus Intel Chipsets and not had the stream of issues I had with the VIA.

They could have (I surely hope they have) gotten better since then, but VIA has never been known for high stability or high performance chipsets, just for being cheap and running cool.

That would've been an interesting computer...one that mates a K6 with a K7 board.

...and yes, pretty much ALL of the first K7 chipsets were not that great.

Later chipsets like NF2 were great!

Back