Intel completes assembly of first commercial High-NA EUV chipmaking tool — addresses cost concerns, preps for 14A process development in 2025

14A process ..... wait, why the number 14?
I think I've heard that number and intel in the same sentence before.
Hey, it's a good number. Intel likes that number. It brings them luck.

:D

Real talk though, it is so obnoxious that companies turned node names in to marketing terms. I dunno who did it first, but nobody's node is actually the size they say it is. TSMC 3nm is not in any way shape or form 3nm, just like Intel's 14A is not going to be 0.14nm. These days every time they roll out a process improvement they just name the node a nm or 2 smaller :p.

Hey, it's a good number. Intel likes that number. It brings them luck.

:D

Real talk though, it is so obnoxious that companies turned node names in to marketing terms. I dunno who did it first, but nobody's node is actually the size they say it is. TSMC 3nm is not in any way shape or form 3nm, just like Intel's 14A is not going to be 0.14nm. These days every time they roll out a process improvement they just name the node a nm or 2 smaller :p.
The ASML Twinscan EXE 5200 which is the latest and greatest in ASML’s lineup of Lithography machines that Intel is using for this 14A node has a 8nm resolution so…

TSMC on their 3nm lineup uses the Twinscan EXE 3600D which has a 13nm resolution.

Which if you want to get into the napkin math on then 8/13 x 3 = 1.8 and the hardware Intel is using for the 14A node has the same resolution as the stuff they are using for the 18A node it just has better refinements on the lasers movement so it is ever so slightly more precise.

Last edited:
Back