I have some stupid questions about VPNs and SOCKS5 proxies.

damarious25

Limp Gawd
I was going to buy an IaaS server and setup a VPN so I wouldn't have to use a VPN service. This introduced me to SOCKS5.

1. a) Years ago when I used IaaS I don't remember so many bandwidth restrictions on cheaper tiers. Is it feasible to route heavy traffic without spending a fortune?
b) I see DigitalOcean, AWS, Google, and IBM all offer low cost/free low bandwidth tiers. Are there other lesser known IaaS providers that offer more bandwidth if I'm not so concerned with speed? Maybe in South America or Europe? (this is a random question and not so related)

2. Is it possible to use both simultaneously? Could I use an IaaS server to create a VPN and then wrap all the traffic inside a SOCKS5 proxy? I realize the exit point is the same but how does unwrapping work? I realize my traffic could be logged at the exit of a VPN but which layer is unwrapped first? Would it be a)local>SOCKS5>VPN>External or b)local>VPN>SOCKS5>External? The second would make it harder for a VPN provider to track and log my traffic, but if the SOCKS5 is unwrapped before exiting the VPN (a) then the use of a SOCKS5 proxy would be pointless... Anyways, is that even possible or just stupid? I certainly don't need that level of security, it's just a thought. My hunch is I'd need 2 IaaS providers so local>SOCKS5 through VPN to IaaS 1>with traffic continuing in the SOCKS5 tunnel to IaaS 2>External. But this is just a hypothesis and not something I'd actually do.

I realize these questions maybe ridiculously stupid so feel free to be judgmental and condescending in your response.

Thank you.

Back