I have 2.5 pentium and a 9800 pro

Gmok Bonecrusha

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been reading all the X800 and 6800 threads here...and Im still a little confused.

Will I get a signifigant benefit from getting either card?Or will I be bottle necked with my current processor?

Your pentium will be the bottleneck if you get a X800 or 6800 card. A A64 3200 is a bottleneck for the cards (i believe).

You will probably get bottlenecked. Have you tried overclocking that thing?

But even though you will probably be bottlenecked a little, you will still notice signifigant growth in preformance.

Go 64bit if you don't want to get bottlenecked anymore.

Even with the bottleneck you would see huge gains with a X800Pro or X800XT. But the higher the CPU speed the more performance you will gain. to say that a 9800Pro is just as fast as a X800Pro with a 2.5ish GHz P4 is not right. In truth you've got to go to a Pentium 2.0GHz or lower for that to happen.

There is no "bottleneck". Faster CPU = Faster performance. Always has been, always will. When we get 120000 Gigahertz CPUs, yes we will have much more Frames. Only people who mindlessly, without proof or thought of their own will point to something and say its a bottleneck. Read and enlighten yourselves somemore. A 1 gigahertz Pentium 3 performs only marginally worse than an overclocked Athlon 64 in 3D intensive applications where the GPU is used. But of course, if your going to play games like ... Tetris, sure the CPU will be a HUGE bottleneck. :rolleyes:

Btw, the biggest bottleneck in a computer is the Hardrive. I wonder why no one bothers to rave about that?

ForceCalibur said:
Btw, the biggest bottleneck in a computer is the Hardrive. I wonder why no one bothers to rave about that?
I do!
SCSI nut here... recently branched out into Fibre Channel.

As far as the GPUs go, yes the CPU will bottleneck the cards in low res benches. Basically if you slap a fast card on a slow CPU you may not gain any FPS in low res modes, but you'll be able to play at higher res w/ an acceptable framerate. Of course in some cases you might even lose a few max fps. Say you're running Quake2 on an old GF2 card and switch to a Parhelia. NV has really tweaked drivers. Matrox doesn't. Your FPS in 640x480 might actually drop, but the Parhelia can run decently in much higher res.
In a really extreme example, suppose a game is CPU bound in 640x480 and GPU bound at 800x600+. A fast enough new card might let you crank it up to 1600x1200 4xAA 8x AF and run at the same framerate as your old card in 640x480.

ForceCalibur said:
There is no "bottleneck". Faster CPU = Faster performance. Always has been, always will. When we get 120000 Gigahertz CPUs, yes we will have much more Frames. Only people who mindlessly, without proof or thought of their own will point to something and say its a bottleneck. Read and enlighten yourselves somemore. A 1 gigahertz Pentium 3 performs only marginally worse than an overclocked Athlon 64 in 3D intensive applications where the GPU is used. But of course, if your going to play games like ... Tetris, sure the CPU will be a HUGE bottleneck. :rolleyes:

::Coughs:: so you are tring to say a person with a pentium 3 can run a X800 in newer games at good speeds? or double there current speed? I have a AMD athlon 2400 @ 2600 or 2.1 Ghz and I still havn't crack my 9800 pro yet. But I guess you are say that if I get a X800 then I will see the double performance current video card? is it truth that PR is saying that a 2600 athlon is just as fast as a 2.6 or 2.5 pentium cpu? What are you tring to say? personally I think your full of it because I havn't seen that much of a increase in speed over my 4200 card. Really let me retype I seen smoother play with my current card and better IQ but I'm STILL bottlenecked because my CPU is holding me back. Or are you say that that is not true? Maybe it's my PC3200 ram chip? Yes, hmmm.... let's think here. No that can't be right how about my Chipset yes it have to be.... no that isn't right ether.

PS. PCI-E or let's keep it current AGP isn't a memory access only. Let's put it like this. Information have to flow throught the cpu to video port to video card OR gpu before an after ram then back down again. If the cpu can't push out information as fast as the video card wants it then what is the bottleneck. Only in time will we PCI-E cards go to and from memory ONLY.

ForceCalibur said:
There is no "bottleneck". Faster CPU = Faster performance. Always has been, always will. When we get 120000 Gigahertz CPUs, yes we will have much more Frames. Only people who mindlessly, without proof or thought of their own will point to something and say its a bottleneck . . . . Btw, the biggest bottleneck in a computer is the Hardrive. I wonder why no one bothers to rave about that?

going by this if i have a S3 VirgeDX 4MB PCI and some 15k SCSIs in raid, ill get better framerates in my games then I will with a radeon 9800 pro and a good IDE hard drive? :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

{edit} seems some people dont like being told the truth, and I do admit I shouldnt have said what I said.

Jesus Christ and some nails!...Is it always like this on these boards?

Woah!

EDIT:Read some other threads....Ya...It is

So a bottleneck...But not much.

jaqie said:
going by this if i have a S3 VirgeDX 4MB PCI and some 15k SCSIs in raid, ill get better framerates in my games then I will with a radeon 9800 pro and a good IDE hard drive? :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

I don't say this often, but, you are an idiot.

You ma'm, need to read. I'm not going to bother dignifying this with a response, as obviously you haven't passed second grade english.

.:Dj Tiesto:. said:
would i get a bottleneck with my processor?
since it isnt a AMD nor 64bit

Only way would be to buy a card and try it, although your 3.8ghz p4 would probably push the x800/Geforce 6800 nicely :). Hell I get my x800 pro tomorrow and i'm running on a 2.2ghz athlon. Should be a noticeable increase over my ti200 :)

i agree with the SCSI comments.

The biggest bottleneck in general usage computing is definitely the hard drive. Those of you who dont use SCSI really have no clue of the MASSIVE speed increase. It doesn't just have to do with the faster spindle speed either... the SCSI interface just rawks. You can download files at 200k/sec, while unzipping a 500meg file, while installing a program, and its buttery smooth. The main thing I like about my 15k drive is its ability to handle multiple tasks at the same time.

I really dont see how i got along with a 7200 8meg cache as my OS/program files drive.

all you have to do to see how SCSI is better is look at the average access rates for good SCSI drives. they are designed for multiple simultaneous accesses to data, and thus when multitasking they perform much better.

yes I have owned SCSI stuff before, wish I could afford it again.

lucky me. my el cheapo lcd wont display more than 40 fps.

the cpu bottlenecks different games differently. some games are more cpu intensive. they get bottlenecked first.

but as of now, faster video card equals faster fps at higher image quality as long as you have 8x agp slot and a 2ghz cpu. extra 200$ on a video card gets more gaming performance than an extra $200 on your cpu.

Ocean said:
lucky me. my el cheapo lcd wont display more than 40 fps.

the cpu bottlenecks different games differently. some games are more cpu intensive. they get bottlenecked first.

but as of now, faster video card equals faster fps at higher image quality as long as you have 8x agp slot and a 2ghz cpu. extra 200$ on a video card gets more gaming performance than an extra $200 on your cpu.

I'd go with that....

Yes the CPU will be a bottleneck to a certain point...think of it like this:

lets say your CPU can chuck out 10units of data a seconds to the gfx card, if currently you GPU can only handle 5units a second then getting a GPU that can handle 15units will give you a performance increase...but it will only be recieving 10units a seconds...there is still a potential that is not being used....if u get a new CPU that can deliver 15units a second then you will see a gain in performance...

But remember that the GPU is doing the bulk of gfx processing. The CPU will be handling the physics and AI etc...i think my anology might be a bit crappy but u get the idea...getting an X800 will give u a boost....but once u get one and find u need/want more then get a better CPU/mobo etc...

Hard drives are a bottleneck but what can you do really, we like our top of the line stuff and we want it fast so SCSI is great and I wouldn't mind having some SCSI drives, but you know I'm pretty happy with my two Western Digital 74G Raptors in a Raid 0 array which has an average transfer rate of 80MB/sec and sometimes gets up a little over a 100MB/sec. SATA is awesome :cool:

4man said:
Hard drives are a bottleneck but what can you do really, we like our top of the line stuff and we want it fast so SCSI is great and I wouldn't mind having some SCSI drives, but you know I'm pretty happy with my two Western Digital 74G Raptors in a Raid 0 array which has an average transfer rate of 80MB/sec and sometimes gets up a little over a 100MB/sec. SATA is awesome :cool:

SATA has nothing to do with it. Raptors have 4.7 average seek time, as opposed to 9.0 average on 7200 ATA drives. Data transfer has to do with the spindle speed.

very good anology Syphon Filter. When talking about bottlenecks a person have to remember that if you get a GPU that can handle 15 units and you have a CPU that can put out 10 units your CPU is the bottleneck never the less. When will we see the end of CPU being the bottleneck for a GPU? well i believe when PCI-E cards go directly to the RAM then the age of CPU bottleneck is over.

Back