HTPC Upgrade

SAgosto

Limp Gawd
I am debating a CPU upgrade for my HTPC. I rip Bluray to MKV and then use Ripbot264 to shrink the file. I have no problems watching movies locally using KODI/MPC-HD/etc. but I do see high CPU usage (on certain titltes) and stuttering while using PLEX on my Roku which is hardwired to a switch. Is it worth it for me to do an upgrade? Below are my specs:

ASUS AM3 - AMD785G - DDR2 - HDMI - uATX Motherboard (M4A785-M)
AMD Athlon 64 5400+ 2.8GHz (ADO5400IAA5DO)
Patriot Extreme Performance 2X1GB 240-Pin DDR800/PC26400 Dual Channel RAM (PDC22G6400ELK)
Super Talent 2X1GB 240-Pin DDR800/PC26400 Dual Channel Kit RAM (T800UX2GC5)
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6450 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card (100322L)

I have two similar HTPC setups and I had to upgrade them to quad cores. everything ran smoothly afterwards.

it all depends on how much you want to spend but I would pick even a 2.5ghz quad core over that 2.8ghz.

I have two similar HTPC setups and I had to upgrade them to quad cores. everything ran smoothly afterwards.

it all depends on how much you want to spend but I would pick even a 2.5ghz quad core over that 2.8ghz.

What issues did you have? Can I use any AMD quad AM3 socket that will fit my mobo?

Last edited:
my issues were that my MKV's would sometimes get choppy depending on compression and streaming Netflix became a nightmare. HBOGO was unbearable. I have NVidia GT 740's in both systems so I knew the vid card was not an issue seeing as how the CPU would be at 100% all the time.

You have a decent mobo with good quad and six core cpu support. a fast ebay check yelided that you could get a Athlon IIX4 620 for $20. I looked at higher clocked quad cores and you start getting into the $40+ range but a Phenom IIX4 820 would be my second recommended cpu at $30.

go to the asus website to make sure your mobo has the latest bios to ensure that a cpu upgrade is supported or at least that the bios you currently have will support the cpu you will upgrade.

my issues were that my MKV's would sometimes get choppy depending on compression and streaming Netflix became a nightmare. HBOGO was unbearable. I have NVidia GT 740's in both systems so I knew the vid card was not an issue seeing as how the CPU would be at 100% all the time.

You have a decent mobo with good quad and six core cpu support. a fast ebay check yelided that you could get a Athlon IIX4 620 for $20. I looked at higher clocked quad cores and you start getting into the $40+ range but a Phenom IIX4 820 would be my second recommended cpu at $30.

go to the asus website to make sure your mobo has the latest bios to ensure that a cpu upgrade is supported or at least that the bios you currently have will support the cpu you will upgrade.

I have 0 issues with pre-Ripbot264 running locally on MPC-HD but starting to see issues when Plex is transcoding certain MakeMKV. That's an issue with it's engine that doesn't seem to happen with other apps. It isn't a huge deal but if I can resolve it with a quick CPU upgrade, than it is worth considering.

Back