HTPC, not for gaming

turk1821

n00b
I am looking for recommendations for a video card for my HTPC. Seems every post about an HTPC is for gaming. This is not for gaming only video playback and streaming services Amazon, Netflix, YouTube, etc. all local files are played via Plex or VLC. I have a Sony 75x85kk (75" 4K 120Hz) and assume I need a video card that supports HDMI 2.1?

Have you considered something like an Amazon 4k stick ? If all it does is application that it support out of the box it can be a cheap way to have native AV1 decoding, remote out of the box.,

If you go Dgpu, with NVIDIA HDMI 2.1 start with Ampere, there is charts that are possible to look what codec are supported, usually the cheaper ampere card with what you want would be the option to go:
https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new

AMD, hdmi 2.1 is starting with RDNA 2

Recent Intel quicksync cpu have hdmi 2.1, at least since 12th gen

If it were me I'd get something like an A310 or A380 for that purpose. Does AV1 encoding, low power, low profile (if needed).

If it's just for media consumption I don't know why you would need something capable of more than 4K @ 60 Hz.

EDIT - Also, if you need 4k 120 Hz I think you can get a DP 2.0 to HDMI adapter, supposedly that will do audio through it as well. I'm also not sure if the higher end Arc cards (A750/A770) have HDMI 2.1, but I think all of them are specced for it, but it depends on the manufacturer if they add it or not.

Last edited:
Have you considered something like an Amazon 4k stick ? If all it does is application that it support out of the box it can be a cheap way to have native AV1 decoding, remote out of the box.,

If you go Dgpu, with NVIDIA HDMI 2.1 start with Ampere, there is charts that are possible to look what codec are supported, usually the cheaper ampere card with what you want would be the option to go:

I don't want to use a Firestick, I prefer Windows for network shares, internet browsing, my add blockers, sharing of accounts etc. Thanks for the chart I had been confused on when people referenced Ampere

I wouldn't use an HTPC for those activities, Firestick or Apple TV would be the better route.
I use Apple TV 4k's here at my house and Firestick and Fire cube at my girls house.
Firestick with the built in alexa remote is pretty nifty to, just tell it what you want and it finds it or plays it.

I am looking for recommendations for a video card for my HTPC. Seems every post about an HTPC is for gaming. This is not for gaming only video playback and streaming services Amazon, Netflix, YouTube, etc. all local files are played via Plex or VLC. I have a Sony 75x85kk (75" 4K 120Hz) and assume I need a video card that supports HDMI 2.1?
Your tv likely has apps for all those services and will run them as well or better than an htpc. There is an app for Plex, too. I run the plex app through one of my tv's that way. No pc or other external device. All apps. A lot of the features the hdmi 2.1 spec is geared to gaming and much higher bandwidth usage. You may not need it.

You didn't mention a budget or any other specs or needs like having a 4k blue ray player in your pc, encoding/transcoding as it is your plex server, etc. You may be able to get by on an integrated gpu, if you have one. If you want a dedicated gpu with hdmi 2.1 look at 3000 series or newer Nvidia, RX 6400 or better AMD and Intel's A750 or better. The A380, 580 have 2.0b, generally. Intel's may growl a bit if you don't have resizable bar available, but, it should be fine since you aren't gaming.

Yeah, for just media playback and streaming, something like the nVidia Shield Pro is going to be superior in terms of format support (Dolby Vision, etc.) versus an HTPC. I just went through the same thing. I still use an HTPC for some tasks but for streaming from Emby I now use the Shield because it'll actually do 4K, 12-bit Dolby Vision on my OLED TV. Windows doesn't handle Dolby Vision...well, at all, really.

Doesn't Netflix also have limitations when using a PC/Browser as well, like no 4K or surround support, or something like that?

Doesn't Netflix also have limitations when using a PC/Browser as well, like no 4K or surround support, or something like that?
Depends on the browser:
Navigateur WebVersion requiseRésolution maximale
Edge118 ou version ultérieureUltra HD (2160p)*
Chrome106 ou version ultérieurePleine HD (1080p)
Firefox111 ou version ultérieureHD (720p)
Opera92 ou version ultérieureHD (720

If you use the app, probably not an issue

Streaming sticks don't have the hardware to do 4K AV1 decoding though, or support surround sound streaming though DLNA shares. The gold standard for audio streaming has been the Nvidia Shield for many years but the hardware on that is too weak for 4K AV1 decoding as well. These days you have to use a 12th gen Intel or a Zen 4 solution minimum.

Streaming sticks don't have the hardware to do 4K AV1 decoding though
https://www.aftvnews.com/comparison...ew-fire-tv-stick-4k-max-plus-why-they-matter/
H.265 (HEVC),
H.264 (AVC),
VP9,
VP8,
MPEG-4,
MPEG-2
AV1

Are you saying that in your experience, it does not work ? I have yet to have a problem with mine.

Nothing is encoded with AV1 to give a dam yet. Get an Nvidia Shield Pro... /thread.
For people that do their own encoding, everything can be... I thought that Netflix and other have used AV1 for years if you support it ?:
https://netflixtechblog.com/bringing-av1-streaming-to-netflix-members-tvs-b7fc88e42320

Overkill but I got a 4060 Ti 8GB FE for my HTPC. Never know when someone might wanna play a little something.

If it were me I'd get something like an A310 or A380 for that purpose. Does AV1 encoding, low power, low profile (if needed).

If it's just for media consumption I don't know why you would need something capable of more than 4K @ 60 Hz.

EDIT - Also, if you need 4k 120 Hz I think you can get a DP 2.0 to HDMI adapter, supposedly that will do audio through it as well. I'm also not sure if the higher end Arc cards (A750/A770) have HDMI 2.1, but I think all of them are specced for it, but it depends on the manufacturer if they add it or not.
The Sparkle A 380 does not use extra power, all power comes from PCIe Express slot for that card.

https://www.aftvnews.com/comparison...ew-fire-tv-stick-4k-max-plus-why-they-matter/
H.265 (HEVC),
H.264 (AVC),
VP9,
VP8,
MPEG-4,
MPEG-2
AV1

Are you saying that in your experience, it does not work ? I have yet to have a problem with mine.

For people that do their own encoding, everything can be... I thought that Netflix and other have used AV1 for years if you support it ?:
https://netflixtechblog.com/bringing-av1-streaming-to-netflix-members-tvs-b7fc88e42320
Only at 1080p. 4K AV1 is a stutter fest for me on 2019 Nvidia Shield Pro, Roku Express 4K+ and Firestick 4K. It's only smooth playback on my N100 HTPC, and only the HTPC and Nvidia Shield can do surround sound through DLNA anyway.

Last edited:
120hz allows 24p content to playback with no judder. Very few playback solutions on PC will even properly do 3:2 pulldown to make it mostly smooth with a 60hz display. Similarly, 72hz usually doesn't work on PC, except for custom settings in something like mediacenter classic, etc.

Nothing is encoded with AV1 to give a dam yet. Get an Nvidia Shield Pro... /thread.
There is plenty of content available encoded in AV1, and it's continuing to see growth. If I was buying a new streaming device today and hosting a Plex server, I would 1000% want it to do AV1 decode because transcoding on the server would be very taxing.

Back