Honesty pays with a very reduced HD4870

Saabjock

Gawd
So I win a 'buy it now' for an HD4870...only the guy sends one to my work address and one to my home accidently...but he only bills me for one. I know it would be morally wrong to keep it, so today I call him and he said "I knew I had two but I really did'nt know what I did with the other one". I agree to ship it back to him for which he thanks me and then gives me a huge discount on the one I already bought.... moral: honesty can pay great dividends. I now have a $160 lifetime warrantied HD4870. It is extremely fast and stable also.

but you could have sold the other one for $250 and had a (almost) free video card. You fail...

j/k It's always best to be honest, it nearly always bites you in the ass if your not.

I think what you did was great and was definitely the right call to make.

But I'm kind of scratching my head over, how could somebody send away an extra video card and "just not know where I put it" ? I guess it's just one of those weird things that happens.

Good on you and I'm glad he returned the favour :)

wow good for you, honest people are becoming an endangered species

kudos to the OP

Man! It felt good to do the right thing. In my life anyway.... I always like to reverse the roles and ask myself "How would I feel if the 'shoe were on the other foot'." I could actually hear the relief in the seller's voice when I talked to him this morning. He seemed like a really nice guy anyway. His initial store price for the HD4870 was about $30 below retail and he did'nt 'gouge' on the shipping. He actually paid $0.85 more than he charged for shipping.....so yeah, that even made it better.

That is awesome. Makes you feel good to know you did the right thing, and got one heck of a good deal on a HD 4870.!

I don't know what I would do.
A nice feeling and relief of being honest is always good but so is a 'free' HD4870...

I wonder what % of the the rest of us would have either kept it and/or sold it.

I don't know what I would do.
A nice feeling and relief of being honest is always good but so is a 'free' HD4870...

I wonder what % of the the rest of us would have either kept it and/or sold it.

I'd let them know, but wouldn't pay to ship it back to them. My old flatmate purchased a pre-assembled Koolance watercooling case and it didn't show up so he called the etailer and they sent another one which arrived the next day. A couple of weeks later the first one turned up and he put it straight on eBay without even opening the box! At the time I told him he should return it (I was pretty sure they'd eventually work out what happened and bill him again) but he didn't and ended up with a free £200 case. But it did come back and bite him in the ass when he ignored my advice to leak test it and hosed his entire system excluding hdd's and opticals :p

Kudos to the OP. I hope you marry and multiply like a bunny rabbit. We need many more like you.:D

Good job OP.

Its so easy to rip someone off... even easier to rip someone off that you don't know. Its good that you took the high road.

Well done. Karma is a bitch when you go against it. Good decision.

Hmm, that's a hard call. If it was anything in person I'd definately do the right thing. However, not having a face to attribute the loss to makes it more tempting to keep.

So I win a 'buy it now' for an HD4870...only the guy sends one to my work address and one to my home accidently...but he only bills me for one. I know it would be morally wrong to keep it, so today I call him and he said "I knew I had two but I really did'nt know what I did with the other one". I agree to ship it back to him for which he thanks me and then gives me a huge discount on the one I already bought.... moral: honesty can pay great dividends. I now have a $160 lifetime warrantied HD4870. It is extremely fast and stable also.

Kudos for you :D

GJ man, I would've done that then found something to get w/ the "discount" money. :D.

I would of done the same! Unfortunetly not many people would :-\

more importantly: Great dividends should NOT be a required result from being honest. You should be honest for its own sake, not because you exepct something in return.

Back