Help with connecting Nighthawk RAXE300 to ISP with VLAN tag id

mryerse

2[H]4U
Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade my local network to wifi6e and to do that bought a Nighthawk RAXE300. While setting it up, to my surprise, the ISP here (Quantum, formerly CenturyLink) required VLAN tagging to connect to their fiber device. The RAXE300 does support VLAN tagging, but it seems to only do that in bridge mode, putting any connected devices on the Internet. In the VLAN tagging configuration, it doesn't let me choose the WAN port and I'm guessing that this is because they don't support VLAN tagging on the WAN port in router mode.

So... I'm wondering if I can use a managed switch to solve this? I've never setup a managed switch or VLANs before, but I'm wondering if there's a way to bridge the VLAN with an untagged port on a basic switch, then connect the RAXE300 wan port to the untagged port of the switch? I'm trying to avoid sending this wifi access point back.

I'd send it back and get an ASUS router that supports it properly.

Looking at the tech specs and user manual for Asus' main wifi6E router (GT-AXE16000) and there is no mention of VLAN support at all.

*Edit* I see they released a beta firmware in March that supports VLANs, but that's not enough to justify a $250 jump in price over what I have now. I'm looking for something that's stable...

If all you're looking to do is upgrade to wifi6e, put the nighthawk in ap mode and shut off your other APs--done!

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade my local network to wifi6e and to do that bought a Nighthawk RAXE300. While setting it up, to my surprise, the ISP here (Quantum, formerly CenturyLink) required VLAN tagging to connect to their fiber device. The RAXE300 does support VLAN tagging, but it seems to only do that in bridge mode, putting any connected devices on the Internet. In the VLAN tagging configuration, it doesn't let me choose the WAN port and I'm guessing that this is because they don't support VLAN tagging on the WAN port in router mode.

So... I'm wondering if I can use a managed switch to solve this? I've never setup a managed switch or VLANs before, but I'm wondering if there's a way to bridge the VLAN with an untagged port on a basic switch, then connect the RAXE300 wan port to the untagged port of the switch? I'm trying to avoid sending this wifi access point back.
That should work. Basic managed switches aren't too complicated. They're usually configured with a web interface or sometimes an application. Check this if you don't use Windows. Essentially you'll just want to add a VLAN that matches what your ISP wants (same VLAN number) to both ports you're using. Set the ISP side for tagged traffic only and set the router side for untagged only with the ISP VLAN as the default. If you really want to you can still use the rest of the switch for other stuff. Just make sure the 2 ports you're using for WAN are a separate VLAN from everything else.

That said the cheapest way to do this is what SamirD said and just turn off WiFi on whatever you have now and use the RAXE300 in access point mode. No need to muck with a switch unless the ISP router won't let you turn WiFi off or you're trying to get out of a rental fee.

I ended up buying a Mikrotik hex to handle VLAN tagging, NAT, firewall, etc, and put the nighthawk into AP mode. Netgear formally confirmed they don't support VLAN tagging on the WAN port. I didn't want to use the existing device as a router because it lacks family controls. I decided to not use the switch after realizing it would just dump all my devices on the Internet haha.

A Mikrotik? That'll do it. I have some of their stuff -- an RB5009UG+S+IN router and a CRS326-24S+2Q+RM 10Gb switch. A Hex should be ok at speeds up to gigabit as long as you don't do anything too complicated. They're cheap and don't have a real powerful CPU. I bought the RB5009 because I needed a 2.5Gb port and I don't recommend them. They have an annoying bug that slows down devices slower than 2.5Gb when using the 2.5Gb port as WAN, so my 1Gb devices get more like 850. Also nerfs my WiFi a bit. Thankfully all my desktops are on 10Gb and are thus unaffected. How do you like RouterOS?

A Mikrotik? That'll do it.

So far it's been working great. All I changed from the default settings was VLAN tagging on the WAN port, and some kid control to set windows of time for allowed use of the Internet. It's able to keep up with the 1gbps fiber connection. RouterOS is ok. The UI works for most things but sometimes have to drop to the CLI, and I find it annoying that you can't paste to the CLI, so I have to type out MAC addresses, etc which sucks. Cisco has a much better CLI but I didn't pay for that so can't complain. I've got a Fortigate 60F down in Brazil that I'd like to try out. Would have worked great if I didn't leave it there haha. Someday I'll return and hook it up.

Back