Help a noob buy a new digicam!

echoes

Limp Gawd
I currently own a Fuji Finepix 1300 that's a little out of date, to say the least. 1.2 MP, 2x digital zoom, etc. Full specs here.

-I'm going to use it mainly on vacations, photographing monuments and the occasional friend/family member smiling for the camera. In other words, I'm not photographing sports, wildlife or anything moving quickly.

-Must have an optical viewfinder. I took a look at a digicam that had just an LCD viewfinder and couldn't stand it.

-I don't want a camera with a built in mp3 player, foot massager :)p) or other such gimmicks. I don't need a camera that can take movie clips either, but I wouldn't mind it either.

I just want something simple to point and shoot at static objects and get a quality image. I don't anticipate printing these out on a full-sized sheet of paper but I never know if that might change (especially when and if I can use a nice color laser at school ;) ) I'd like to stay under $300, and probably even lower.

I'm at a loss for how much MP/resolution/zoom etc. I should be looking for, so if anyone could point me in the right direction or make recommendations for specific cameras, I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

Canon Powershot A60 fits all your description and is $200

The Canon Powershot A70 fits them all and has better quality, and is $300.

I have the A70 and can take all my point and shoot type pics plus I get to do alot of cool things with the functions.

If you want to know more just ask, its 9:00 and I have a poster to make and a 3 to 5 min speech to write for monday :p

Yeah I recomend Canon aswell. nice Point and Shoot cameras, and some have nicer features.

Thanks for your input. I see the A60 is 2.0 MP, 3x optical zoom, and the A70 is 3.2 MP, 3x optical zoom. I think 3x optical zoom should be adequate, but I'm a little unsure about MP...

What kind of images can you print on your A70? For example, would a 8.5x11 color image turn out decently? Also if you have some sample pics I'd love to see them. :D *Edit* I just saw the A70 gallery thread so I think I'm set with sample pics. It looks like the A70 would be a great camera... not too expensive, but also with enough features for me to get into photography a little more. Hmmm, now I need to decide if the A70 is worth the extra $100...

Originally posted by echoes
Thanks for your input. I see the A60 is 2.0 MP, 3x optical zoom, and the A70 is 3.2 MP, 3x optical zoom. I think 3x optical zoom should be adequate, but I'm a little unsure about MP...

What kind of images can you print on your A70? For example, would a 8.5x11 color image turn out decently? Also if you have some sample pics I'd love to see them. :D *Edit* I just saw the A70 gallery thread so I think I'm set with sample pics. It looks like the A70 would be a great camera... not too expensive, but also with enough features for me to get into photography a little more. Hmmm, now I need to decide if the A70 is worth the extra $100...
If you're going to be making a full 8x10 print, the DPI of a 2MP camera would be about 150, while a 3.2MP camera would give you 200 DPI. Not quite ideal for ultra-high-quality prints at that size, but the latter will definitely be noticeable better than the former (unless you have poor eyesight, or just haven't seen a decent print before to compare).

now I need to decide if the A70 is worth the extra $100...

Yes it is. Mine is great. Enough room for expansion yet easy for a beginner. 8x10 prints will look fine. Not the greatest, but no 3.2 is gonna give you better shots.

Back