HD Death Clock?

zandor

Supreme [H]ardness
Do they put a death clock in these things or something? Well, I doubt it, but it seems like that sometimes. Every drive I've bought new either runs until I decide to throw it out, dies within a month or two of purchase, is DOA, or goes within a year after the warranty expires. I've bought a few refurbs, and they're pretty much the same story except that they tend to go either right after the 30-60 day warranty is up or, more frequently, die a bit over 5 years after I got them. I've probably purchased 30 HDs over the last 10 years, and the only RMAs I've done are for DOA and dead within a month or two.

One of my 36GB Seagate Cheetah 15k.3s took a dump yesterday. Thankfully all it had on it was an XP32 install I haven't used in about a year. I bought it in summer 2003 so it had a good run. It seems rather strange that a drive that was nearly 6 years old wasn't slow enough to annoy me. Maybe it's just because I use my laptop a lot more than my desktop so it seems fast by comparison. OTOH it really wasn't that slow... 50 (min) - 75 (max) MB/s or so IIRC, and access times that'll still beat a VRap. But once again I have a drive going belly up not long after the warranty runs out.

Now that I'm in grad school SSDs, SAS, VRaps, SCSI, etc. are off the menu ($$$), so I guess I'll probably just get a WD Black 640 to replace it unless someone has a better idea. I was thinking about getting a little more space anyway. I wouldn't mind playing guinea pig since all I do on that machine is game these days (I do my work on my laptop), but I've been digging around & can't come up with a contender.

Back