Hard-DC.com

ChristianVirtual

[H]ard DCOTM x3
A heads up for you guys:

I got the domain hard-dc.com from musky and we should think what to do best with it

1) don't compete with the forum, means no chat area etc ; for that we should stay here
2) move the dashboard to fbdashboard.hard-dc.com (nearly done except updates)
3) create a new page dcotmy.hard-dc.com

4) consolidated team stats ?
5) links to challenges and external reporting sites ?

In case of interest for collaboration I could host the site code on a GitHub repo and once merged to deploy changes...

What would be your thoughts ?

Last edited:
We need to somehow include the forums with the site. Similar to how hardocp.com shows news articles, but each discussion takes place within the hardforum.com forums. So if a news article about the [H] DC team and/or a DC project is posted, then a link to a forum topic for discussion should be available for discussion.

What's dcotmy?

hard-dc.com. Great!

First, I really like your dashboard.
Reasons:
1. Fulfills customized information need for a current team goal of winning the Formula BOINC challenges
2. Tells me current team and competitor production averages across all those projects we are helping out while doing this challenge
3. Shows overtakes and threats.
4. Shows total score in Formula Boinc.

To me it feels like you have the base most important information needed to do good at this FB goal, and I think the FB dashboard does a good job of consolidating the stats for BOINC projects.

For F@H I propose a big red counter saying "We need to produce X to hold off rival team Y. Threat of overtake on date Z". Then there could be a horizontal table similar to what you are using in FB, but only list the next 7 teams who are below us in position and are producing more. I guess that would be the consolidated stats I feel we need for FAH.

Maybe current news section that has a small blurb regarding the current push on a specific project(s), or a link to a notable event in the forum. Old news posts look really tacky, so I hesitate to put up news information unless it will be updated regularly.

Page on optimizing BOINC projects, with links to forum posts or threads with information on modifying app_config.xml and cc_config files.

How to join the team page.

ChristianVirtual , glad that musky reached out. I mentioned it to him in IRC when he offered them to me. I figured since you had interest in Hardfolding, that this would be a good choice. Means you have more control over the say of things by having ownership of it. I agree it would be best to not take away the forums due to long term members having an account here and the fact that many don't like creating several accounts.

Challenges section is my biggest request. It shouldn't just be a list of what we are doing though as we already have that in the forums here. I personally would like something like SETI.Germany does. Where teams can sign themselves up to partake. It should have more than just BOINC projects too. A biggie that is missing is a good challenge for FAH. Inner team challenges may be fun for a few but team challenges seem to bring out most.

Another thing I would like to see is any future project such as if you do set up a BOINC project. I think it is very important for the team's success in promoting for team recruitment to show the team is serious and capable of great things. One thing that seems to plague DC is too many people asking for things or demanding them but not willing to help improve. You seem to have a big interest in making things better. I think it is also important to emphasize that this is the teams page and not owned or operated by [H].

On DCotM/Y, it would be good to have a link to their forum profile as well as their stats pages. Then possibly an interview with them like they used to do here in the forums. Thoughts?

I have the link to the voting, where I grab automatically result from (i just love python and postgresql); in case of proclamation to the nomination thread. But yeah, I can try to get the forum profile link and map it. Easier in the past rounds where we referring with @. Else I can maintain a mapping table.

Link to stats pages ? Which one ? For FAH I have data collected since 2015 around. Boinc still need to rely on external source. Interview is a good one ... gives personal touch beyond crunching ...

It also helps to get people to know some of the members. Sometimes names blur together for me and I have to think about whom was doing what and when. Especially for members that only chime in once or twice a year. Maybe have a default template of questions to ask each member, and then have some randoms that make each interview a bit different. For those that have multiple winnings, have an updated questionare about what has changed since last time.

Stats pages could be an issue when people use multiple handles. Perhaps stick with Free-DC since it handles all projects. Make one of the interview questions what handles they have gone by on each of the projects.

For FAH cross-team challenges the rule should be: donor name less than 32 character ("due to technical reason" ;)); else the coin/eVGA point chaser dominate anyway which makes challenges less challenging.

Or they getting their own "commercial league" ...

Hey...we can make any rules we want but we want to make sure people see it as fair to all. You could flat out say its not pay for play teams, but you would have to outline what that means. I mean, does EVGA bucks count? Not like you get rich off those. If a BOINC project offers a crypto as an option like 2 projects are working on currently... how do you control it? If we are making rules on this stuff, we really need future thought built into it.

Wait. Wait. Wait a minute.

We're talking about hosting our own DC challenge???

It's gotta be something that doesn't compete with the other challenges.

So I think they need to last a while, like say each challenge lasts for the calendar month and we have 12 of them per year.

Perhaps some sort of scoring system similar to Formula-BOINC where each place has a set score.

Then some sort of badge system that awards teams for participating, winning, etc...

I also like the idea of having a page that shows each of the HDCOTM winners similar to the thread I started a while back that needs to be finished.

I also like the idea of having a page that shows each of the HDCOTM winners similar to the thread I started a while back that needs to be finished.
have a look; just finished on hard-dc.com -> Hall of Fame ... http://www.hard-dc.com/dcotmy.html

Just struggle with some typos in names and splitter personalities with multiple names ... resulting in wrong counting ...

This Hall of Fame I would publish "out there" rather sooner also to indicate the site is back.

@all: any introduction text improvements ?

@CV: get the posting link working on the right side (based on RSS from DC sub-forum)

Last edited:
CV, do you need any sort of hosting for this? I have a dedicated server slot I rent at a datacenter. It hosts a couple of my own web sites www.ut-files.com and www.skillzservers.com. Plenty of room for this project.
Right now I should be ok; have some public-facing hosting with CloudFlare and also DC-base backend server for the databases.

When it comes to potentially challenges it is good to know there are still resources around

Thanks for the offer !

Awesome list! May I suggest to make all of our web pages the same feel and look as this forum? Meaning 50% grey/black background, name font in yellow, regular text is white and section header background in red, etc? Just a thought.

Also, maybe we should get those inactive dcotmy members to be excited with our (re)new found love for DC challenges?

Awesome list! May I suggest to make all of our web pages the same feel and look as this forum? Meaning 50% grey/black background, name font in yellow, regular text is white and section header background in red, etc? Just a thought.

Also, maybe we should get those inactive dcotmy members to be excited with our (re)new found love for DC challenges?
Like this ? :)

IMG_1087.PNG

But understand where you coming from. I think bootstrap will be able to support style-switch. I'm more on the bright side ...

Dang you put that list together fast as hell!

It took me hours upon hours to get the unfinished list I have. Holy smokes!

I would prefer a single but large challenge to focus on as the primary for something like FAH. I think the Marathon/Sprint concept is already in place with FB and the Pentathlon. The Pentathlon has a great turnout. I don't know how many actually care about FB as it isn't like you have to actively sign up. DC-Vault covers year round forever standings but has pretty well ran its course. PrimeGrid has its challenge series through the year too. Then you have the BOINCStats challenges people can issue at any time, project challenges like at POGS and WCG. The rest is just marketing. However, I know there is a need for a good FAH challenge as there really isn't much set up for it. That is why I keep pushing that. I think for us to get started, we need to supply a demand and expand from there.

Maybe a challenge with a team-specific target ... means based on historical performance we give a target number each team need to individually hit; plus minus tolerance.
And as small the deviation is more points towards the win is given.

Can be based on credits, number of WU or active users, or any combination.

And thematically that fit very well to F@H with the upcoming patient-specific cell therapies in oncology area. Where a customized patient-specific-drug is given to fight cancer. We don't need to use the theme itself as it's also controversial but as for the challenge it prevent that the coin teams just outperform others. It's more on the team play and coordination

The links are the embedded images. He just posted two images. www.hardocp.com main site and a table section of one of the video card reviews (RX Vega 56)

have a look; just finished on hard-dc.com -> Hall of Fame ... http://www.hard-dc.com/dcotmy.html

Just struggle with some typos in names and splitter personalities with multiple names ... resulting in wrong counting ...

This Hall of Fame I would publish "out there" rather sooner also to indicate the site is back.

@all: any introduction text improvements ?

@CV: get the posting link working on the right side (based on RSS from DC sub-forum)

That is a really nice Hall of fame table.

Suggestion: replace "Title" with "Year:", and replace the old "Year" with "Month"
upload_2017-9-9_2-14-15.png

Thanks MN Scout ; replace "Year" with "Month" is not what the first line is for ... it is actually the line for the DCotY(ear); remove "Title" though make sense

True, I see where you are going. I guess I thought it was a heading for the months that are below it, but I do also remember understanding that it was for the DCOTYear. Could 1 through 12 be replaced by January to December?

CV, I've noticed you put a medal for each time someone had won HDCOTM. However, it seems that when someone hits 4 it goes to a single medal again. Is that an oversight or just a limitation of "badges"? Its looking good though.

just validating once more ... there are cases with typos in the name; then our brain say its the same person; but our silicon slaves don't understand that and count a new one.
Working on fixes and mapping, if I see (e.g. Evil Alchemist once with and without space between; Patriot with and without Eagle, ... )

Please try the following, still hidden side as a proposal / template for the hint/help page

http://www.hard-dc.com/hint_help_main.html

The content pages are next ; they are very rough right now (any design proposal is appreciated); I tried to get the boxes in grey but somehow the CSS don't take it (might be a problem with bootstrap or more realistic with my skills)

Last edited:
Oh, and if you have any screenshots (width = 600px) for
1) Windows (FAH and BOINC)
2) Linux (FAH and BOINC)

3) Driver installations for AMD (I have no AMD hardware)

quick poll:

I added a 3rd party section ... incl my iOS monitor; but also HFM and BOINCtask.

If not desired by the community I'm happy to remove 3rd party. Since all three don't have financial interests ...

Any other 3rd part too to be included ?

Java is needed for DistributedDataMining
Virtualbox for specific projects
Microsoft Visual C++ (various versions)
.Net 4+

Can we make it a little more mobile friendly?

When I open this on my phone (Android) and try to shrink the size of the web site so I can see more of it on the screen at once it also shrinks the box the table is in so it doesn't actually show anymore. I just get a lot of blank space on the right.

I want to shrink it so I can see more of it at once so I can easily check the color codes to see where the troubled spots are.

Back