GTX670 FTW or Double D 7970

mlapgw

Gawd
I had my mind made up on a EVGA GTX670 FTW

Today I see there is a sale on the XFX Double D 7970 that makes it slightly cheaper. Is the 7970 a better card than the 670 card I am looking at?

I game(everything) and autocad LT on a 24" 1080p monitor.

With the latest drivers HD 7970 (1 Ghz) is faster than GTX 680 in most games. Perf/watt is with GTX 680/ GTX 670. But bandwidth and compute performance is with HD 7970. And by compute I mean DirectCompute performance which is very relevant in games too. Nvidia has Physx which could matter to you. so pick what you like. Personally I would recommend a HD 7970. If you want to keep the card for more than 2 years its the best option.

I have the 7970. Bought it Jan 9th when it came out and I've been pretty happy with it (overclocked it to the max in CCC and have just left it there). I've been thinking of switching it out for a 670/680 because I wanted to try out 3D Surround with my projectors. I've been holding off though since there would be no performance increase by moving to nVidia and it's not worth it just for 3D.

If you're not doing Crossfire/SLI just go for the cheaper option (7970).

It's nice to see the prices on the 7970 finally reach the point where they are good values relative to the GTXs.

With the latest drivers HD 7970 (1 Ghz) is faster than GTX 680 in most games. Perf/watt is with GTX 680/ GTX 670. But bandwidth and compute performance is with HD 7970. And by compute I mean DirectCompute performance which is very relevant in games too. Nvidia has Physx which could matter to you. so pick what you like. Personally I would recommend a HD 7970. If you want to keep the card for more than 2 years its the best option.

there so much fail in your post that i dont know where to begin.

we get it, you own a AMD card.

If the 7970 is cheaper, it's a no brainer, it's clearly the better card for the money with the current drivers that AMD has out there.

If the 7970 is cheaper, it's a no brainer, it's clearly the better card for the money with the current drivers that AMD has out there.

Not only cause of the drivers, even on hardware level is better quality card.

If you want performance, 7970. It's a hell of a card and will be a nice bump from your 5870.

Just know that the card can get a bit toasty. I've got the Black Edition of that XFX card (the original GHz edition) and it can start running hot when you put some high overclocks on it. Under stock settings you'll get acceptable temps. Also, the fans start getting loud at ~60%.

For 1080p I would lean towards the something like the Asus GTX670 direct cu 2. Performance will be similar at that resolution and the 670 runs really cool and quietly.

They're also quite a bit louder for a very similar performance/price range.

I think there's more to consider here than raw performance. If I'm not mistaken the Zotac 670 AMP! would outperform any 7970 I've seen, even with the newfangled drivers. But it's gigantic and sounds like a lawnmower.

The 7970 is priced more competitively right now, but it's a huge card (like ~11") and it's quite a bit louder than most 670 cards (like the 670 FTW OP is considering)

The 7970ghz is faster than a 670. Pretty simple. I don't know what you're smoking, but stop.

he said that 7970 is faster than 680 in most games, which is horse waste.

learn to read.

Last edited:
An overclocked 7970 is faster than an overclocked GTX 680 at higher resolutions. Its close at 1080p, which is what the op is gaming at though.

rofl, dude, its over, stop, amd lost this gen, get over it.

imageview.php

even 670 beats the 7970 in BF3 and BC2, rofl.

wants some more?

imageview.php

Anyone can cherry pick. The difference is that in general, once you high multimonitor/high resolutions, the 7970 is going to outperform. And don't make me go get direct compute scores, where it smacks the 6xx series around like a bitch.

Show me some benchmarks where a 7970 is this much slower than a GTX 680.

GTX 680 chokes at higher resolutions at times.

yU6Ee.gif

KftzF.png

Oh, and a 7970 at 1050ghz is almost 10% faster than a 680 at 2560x1600. You have to keep in mind that a 7970 has more overclocking headroom than a GTX680. You can't touch the voltage on a 680.

perfrel_2560.gif

omg!!!!!!!!!! you reported me on the internet, wow, what a man you are.

If you can't have an adult discussion then you shouldn't be posting here. Go back to toms hardware.

http://www.rwlabs.com/images/articles/codemasters/dirtshowdown/c2.png
and
http://www.rwlabs.com/images/articles/codemasters/dirtshowdown/c3.png

According to the site, Ultra includes:
"The first new feature in Showdown is an all new rendering system. Essentially this new system allows all the lights in the scene to be dynamic, rather than just rendering 2D glows. This is achieved by building global lists of all lights in the scene, and then using DirectCompute to produce a culled light list for tiled regions of the screen. During the actual Pixel Shader lighting phase, only the culled light list for a given pixel is processed. This makes it possible to have thousands of dynamic lights in a scene"

imageview.php

Anyone can cherry pick. The difference is that in general, once you high multimonitor/high resolutions, the 7970 is going to outperform. And don't make me go get direct compute scores, where it smacks the 6xx series around like a bitch.

thats the only game you have, and you know it.

so you can go ahead and post the direct compute scores, illl show you how much i care about them, rofl.

Show me some benchmarks where a 7970 is this much slower than a GTX 680.

GTX 680 chokes at higher resolutions at times.

This was my reasoning for buying the 7950 I bought. I'm not worried about playing BF3, of all things, since that plays well enough now. I'm worried about playing next years titles well, or the year after that. People are spending $400-500 and more and focusing too much on the present.

thats the only game you have, and you know it.

so you can go ahead and post the direct compute scores, illl show you how much i care about them, rofl.

c3.png

thats not even the ghz edition. compute *does* matter.

This was my reasoning for buying the 7950 I bought. I'm not worried about playing BF3, of all things, since that plays well enough now. I'm worried about playing next years titles well, or the year after that. People are spending $400-500 and more and focusing too much on the present.

I'm not even sure that a 7950 is noticeably slower than a 7970 and they seem to clock almost as well.

My GTX 670s choke in some games at 2560x1440. I would love to see a direct comparison with a pair of overclocked 7950s or 7970s against a pair of GTX 670s or 680s at 2560x1440 or 1600. I still can't run Metro maxed out at that res with two overclocked 670s which I was surprised to see.

the war of the fanboys...

you see kiddos... fanboyism gets you banned lol... no1 gives a damn if the red or green team wins... single digit fps difference in games is not a big deal lol

Back