GTX 780 Ti vs R9 290X; The Rematch

But...but...if you overclocked that 290x, it would universally beat the 780 ti - so this proves nothing.

It also proves that AMD drivers improved over time along with Nvidia. People only thought Kepler was gimped after they tried gameworks options and noticed their frame rate was killed. Little did they know it was crippleware for AMD and Nvidia. It was a nice article to read tho and something that I think is too often overlooked.

That test seems odd as it is saying notting about the 290x that was tested as there are 290x's out there factory clocked much higher then ref .. why didn't they throw in a new 390 as that is how the latest 290x preforms.

looks at thread starter... no need for comment as we all know what he is....

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...iews/70125-gtx-780-ti-vs-r9-290x-rematch.html

This kills the conspiracy theory that Kepler has been gimped in any way.

Wow! I'm really proud of you, Prime! This shows awesome personal growth, you managed to link an article that shows AMD improving their drivers further than Nvidia, and showing that an AMD card is more competitive today against an Nvidia card than it was at launch!

This shows a real attempt at impartiality. So proud of you!

Wow! I'm really proud of you, Prime! This shows awesome personal growth, you managed to link an article that shows AMD improving their drivers further than Nvidia, and showing that an AMD card is more competitive today against an Nvidia card than it was at launch!

This shows a real attempt at impartiality. So proud of you!

Hey if people want Donald Trump to run for president, ANYTHING can happen!

But...but...will a 780ti overclock as well as an aftermarket 290x?!

a great 290X can overclock up to 1100-1150mhz air cooled and 1200mhz on water.. a great 780TI can go to 1250mhz-1300mhz air cooled and 1350mhz+ on water.. so it no overclock as well, it overclock much better than a 290X.

now if you mean scaling, then, yes 290X scale much better with every MHz gained than a 780TI and it's a regular tendency since Tahiti vs Kepler.

a great 290X can overclock up to 1100-1150mhz air cooled and 1200mhz on water.. a great 780TI can go to 1250mhz-1300mhz air cooled and 1350mhz+ on water.. so it no overclock as well, it overclock much better than a 290X.

But....but....two aftermarket 290Xs in crossfire will beat an overclocked 780ti...so what's your point?

But....but....two aftermarket 290Xs in crossfire will beat an overclocked 780ti...so what's your point?

Uhm... who are you? What point are you trying to make here? Two posts like this I thought you were just trying to be funny, but its getting a bit weird now.

If by chance you ARENT just being silly:

Always compare like for like. OC versus OC, SLI versus CF, Dollar versus Dollar, Watt versus watt. You can't say "but OC, but SLI" unless you give the same benefit to the opposition.

Always compare like for like. OC versus OC, SLI versus CF, Dollar versus Dollar, Watt versus watt. You can't say "but OC, but SLI" unless you give the same benefit to the opposition.

Nvidia bias much? Only count apples-to-apples comparisons while ignoring AMD's lead in apples-to-oranges-comparisons? That's not a fair and balanced discussion.

The point I was making .. is that a ref 290x known to throttle or a non-ref known not to throttle .. the gap AMD made up on the 980GTX with the 390 and 390x is because they don't throttle..

I think its funny any Fury X vs 980 TI where the Fury does well always comes with "Well just OC the 980 TI 10%!!!" yet any talk of OCing AMD cards is a no no?

Personally I think OCing high end isn't worth it, OCing lower end to make them closer to high end for less cost is.

I think its funny any Fury X vs 980 TI where the Fury does well always comes with "Well just OC the 980 TI 10%!!!" yet any talk of OCing AMD cards is a no no?

Personally I think OCing high end isn't worth it, OCing lower end to make them closer to high end for less cost is.

I think the reason you hear that in any Fury X vs 980Ti conversation is because... well, you can't really OC the Fury X. It has pretty dismal headroom, whereas any Maxwell part is pretty much guaranteed to OC to 1500mhz.

Nvidia bias much? Only count apples-to-apples comparisons while ignoring AMD's lead in apples-to-oranges-comparisons? That's not a fair and balanced discussion.

Not sure if Joking
Not+sure+if+gif+froze+_d65edab8dd773804205a8df56720a614.jpg

Or Prime1 signed into a different
account to make AMD
supporters look stupid

The point I was making .. is that a ref 290x known to throttle or a non-ref known not to throttle .. the gap AMD made up on the 980GTX with the 390 and 390x is because they don't throttle..

The 390X is closer to a 970. If you compare it to any aftermarket 980 it gets destroyed.

hOIoFpg.jpg

You mean the ~$420 390x is just a few FPS slower than the ~$520 980?

Amazing how those rebrands hold up.

The 390X is closer to a 970. If you compare it to any aftermarket 980 it gets destroyed.

hOIoFpg.jpg

Aww! Thats twice now you've been impartial! You used Tom's Hardware as a reference! I decided to follow suit, and add Tom's as a source of info! look what I found on the same page! You are really helping supply the forums with reliable, impartial information sources!

02Vq83w.png

I'm seeing a lot of personal growth here, you really are turning over a new leaf!

You also bumped to 4K to give AMD an advantage. We're not retarded... We see through his BS, as well as your's.

1440p: http://i.imgur.com/148RtNn.png

Amazing how those rebrands hold up.
Arguably, if AMD were more competitive then it would force Nvidia to actually give a damn about releasing better GPUs.
It's disappointing how well Hawaii "holds up" and yet the regular Fury is a colossal embarrassment.

You also bumped to 4K to give AMD an advantage. We're not retarded... We see through his BS, as well as your's.

1440p: http://i.imgur.com/148RtNn.png

Arguably, if AMD were more competitive then it would force Nvidia to actually give a damn about releasing better GPUs.
It's disappointing how well Hawaii "holds up" and yet the regular Fury is a colossal embarrassment.

Haha, I hope you understand I'm trying to prove a point, but it's not an AMD vs Nvidia point...

The 390X costs $100 more than the 390 and offers an even smaller improvement. At least they have 8 GB.

Both the 390X and 980 are bad values in general.

For power draw the 980 is great, and the 390X actually has a pinch of OC headroom that makes it have a lil' but of punch.

But yes. The real winners are the 390 vanilla, and 980ti in their respective price-points.

It does not have to be a 390 or 390x to see more performance from less to no throttle issues as AIB's seemed to fix the issues with the 290x going away from ref pcb power design and better cooling as what the rebrands are base off of.

Using an old ref 290x in uber mode to a 390x show case's my point about throttling and how it's been fixed .. so a person could find a non-ref 290x for as much as $259 that would run as fast as the 390x other then the size of ram offered.and would destroy the 980GTX in price.

Here is such a card made by Sapphire called the Tri X 290x New Edition clocked at 1020/1350 with no throttling issues. I bump the clock up 30mhz on the same stock voltage for 1050/1350 and shows what $259 now offers..

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5829224

Now take in account the 5 and half year old X58 test bed with pci 2.0

dang can't believe you guys spend all day arguing over videocards

Hmm... I'm pretty sure we are in a video card subforum.. and there is no concrete standard on attributes that add perceived value toward various video card products, thus opinion and experience are often used in order to supply advice to those asking and criticism over others' advice that may not suit the situation.

Not to mention, discussion of a particular subject among the enthusiastic, though often heated, is a way to pass on knowledge and experience.

It's not like there's much else interesting in the tech world. CPUs haven't been interesting since the Core 2, RAM haven't been interesting since RAMBUS stopped trolling the world, monitors haven't been interesting since forever. So really there's not that much to discuss outside of GPUs, which at least has a semblance of progress.

The closest I've seen to the GPU debates is the TN vs IPS discussions, lol :D

Well, get a CRT truther in and everyone has fun.

But in reality, GPUs are the only core component that still have a competitive environment. You could argue SSDs are pretty competitive, but they aren't something you think about upgrading for the sake of upgrading: you upgrade when you run out of space, and you don't really think of it afterward.

It's not like there's much else interesting in the tech world. CPUs haven't been interesting since the Core 2, RAM haven't been interesting since RAMBUS stopped trolling the world, monitors haven't been interesting since forever. So really there's not that much to discuss outside of GPUs, which at least has a semblance of progress.

The closest I've seen to the GPU debates is the TN vs IPS discussions, lol :D

Eh I'd argue Sandy was at least mildly interesting, if just for the insane overclocking headroom. But yeah after that I stopped caring. At this rate my 4930K will last me until at least 2020 lol.

yeah, i upgraded from sandy 2500K to my DC 4970K.

While it was a decent upgrade, i havent really thought about any CPU upgrades for the next god knows how long.

Heyyo,

Hey if people want Donald Trump to run for president, ANYTHING can happen!

The part that scares me? He actually has a chance to win due to popularity vote and not due to actual ability to do well... cause y'know, with the economy slowing down right meow you want a guy whos businesses filed for bankruptcy multiple times... maybe the USA can file for bankruptcy too or something? :(

http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoc...ow-donald-trump-made-bankruptcy-work-for-him/

If Donald Trump wins this election? America loses.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...iews/70125-gtx-780-ti-vs-r9-290x-rematch.html

This kills the conspiracy theory that Kepler has been gimped in any way.

To be fair, NVIDIA did put out a bugged driver that nerfed the performance of Kelper. It was fixed since 353.06 driver. Hardware Canucks could have done tests with both the latest driver and pre-353.06 drivers to see... that? or go back to the same system setup they had in their original reviews and run the same tests with latest drivers to see how those stacked up or something too. Either way? It's good that they did make an article about older GPUs still performing well as viable options for used GPU purchases.

Aww! Thats twice now you've been impartial! You used Tom's Hardware as a reference! I decided to follow suit, and add Tom's as a source of info! look what I found on the same page! You are really helping supply the forums with reliable, impartial information sources!

http://i.imgur.com/02Vq83w.png

I'm seeing a lot of personal growth here, you really are turning over a new leaf!

Maybe I'm spoiled by 60fps... but I wouldn't consider 30fps a fun gaming experience on Far Cry 4... albeit, it would look purdy. I'll always drop my graphical settings just so I could achieve average framerate of 60fps. These cards are better suited for 2560x1440 or max detail on 1920x1080.

dang can't believe you guys spend all day arguing over videocards

Dang, I can't believe you lurk videocard subforums and read people arguing all day over videocards lol. What's your point? :p

Back