GTX 1080 asus strix $620/$640 June 4

I think I'll probably pick one of these up. High clocks, the promise of quiet performance on desktop tasks. Hopefully the reviews are good.

I would have loved that LED layout if you could actually see the damn things...

We should all petition PC case makers to make horizontal cases with Tempered glass tops we can actually get to SEE the fans on our GPUs

I like:
1. the two 4-pin system fan control headers (I've got a couple of spare Noctua fans for them), and
2. the provision of 2-HDMI+2-DP+DVI outputs, that's a better match to my monitor mix than 1-HDMi+3-DP+DVI of the Reference card.

Plus the current GTX 970 Strix cards we use have been pretty nice.
So I'm glad the reference card is out of stock everywhere, it makes waiting for June 4 easier. :)

Well, it seems this was delayed. people from nowinstock.com have stayed up all night, and still as of 11:40 EST there are no 1080 STRIX cards anywhere for purchase.

Asus also removed the $620/$640 pricetag from the announcement website that I linked in the first post, maybe they're going to try to charge more?

I should have just kept my relatively cheap 980ti.

AMD needs to get their shit together and end this bullshit launch/pricing fiasco.

I'd be onboard with an asus card if I didn't hear so many horror stories about their support experience. Originally had my heart set on MSI but they seem to want to price themselves out of the market at the MSRP they chose. Gigabyte and EVGA seem to be the ones to wait for in terms of price/performance/support.

Overclocking in general isn't going to be the huge selling point to me, the card is already so powerful at 1440p I'm not worried in the slightest about that extra 5% gain :)

The problem is theyre ALL like that. And I'm the last one to defend asus.

so far the gigabytes, the evgas, the asus and all of the FEs reach up to 2-2.1 and stop. doesn't matter if its the standard 5+1 phases or 14+3, 8+6 pin or just 8pin.
Galax HOF rep says otherwise

Supposedly the HOF (probably an $850 card) can do 2.2 GHz on air with all fully custom board with dual 8 pins. Seems like we're pretty much pushing the edge of 1080 Overclocking. The best bet for the average user will probably be to buy the cheapest aftermarket 1080 for say $620, overclock to 2050-2100MHz and call it a day.

Will it be possible to use a custom design like this, keep the top air cooling but then slap a water cooler on the back plate? Will that even do anything? I'd rather have a custom design than have to use a reference card to get water cooling.

Supposedly the HOF (probably an $850 card) can do 2.2 GHz on air with all fully custom board with dual 8 pins. Seems like we're pretty much pushing the edge of 1080 Overclocking. The best bet for the average user will probably be to buy the cheapest aftermarket 1080 for say $620, overclock to 2050-2100MHz and call it a day.

I game at this speed in SLI all day (Ark) with a basic fan curve in MSI Afterburner. There's certainly more you can do than that.

Also - the cards have been out like one week. Let's not start saying we're pushing the edge, yet. Certainly, we are starting to see limitations and nuances with the new platform. Volts are bad...that sort of thing. There is more to be discovered. Galax is a good example of this. You have Lightning and Kingpin still out there.

Galax HOF rep says otherwise

Galax also won't be releasing that unlocked version to consumers as it would violate the Nvidia warranty and they would then be responsible for every single bad chip that they sell.

Back