GTS compare

Saabjock

Gawd
Has anyone compared the EVGA 8800GTS-640 in an overclocked state to the 'new' 512 GTS in non-overclocked state? I am curious to see what the results are. I am contemplating selling my 'bone-stock 640' card and moving to the 512 version...but at the same time I'm wondering if the 512MB memory vs 640MB and the narrower bus (256 vs 320) of the new card will be an issue at higher resolutions. Depending on the results/numbers, it may be better for me to simply 'add' a few clocks to my existing card. Anybody made a comparison yet? Thanks

Has anyone compared the EVGA 8800GTS-640 in an overclocked state to the 'new' 512 GTS in non-overclocked state? I am curious to see what the results are. I am contemplating selling my 'bone-stock 640' card and moving to the 512 version...but at the same time I'm wondering if the 512MB memory vs 640MB and the narrower bus (256 vs 320) of the new card will be an issue at higher resolutions. Depending on the results/numbers, it may be better for me to simply 'add' a few clocks to my existing card. Anybody made a comparison yet? Thanks

There's no question there, since it's definitely an upgrade.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13772/3

The first paragraph (under the fps tables) of your link, answered my question. Thanks. It basically stated that the overclocked 640MB contender still did'nt come close to the stock 512MB version. That G92 card must be an absolute 'monster' because my 640...even at stock is very fast and 'fluid'.

580Mhz is a pretty weak OC on the old GTS, mine comes even closer since it's OC'd higher so I'm not wasting my time upgrading. But you can OC the new GTS as well so it even out in the end ;). Do what you do man :).

@Miscommunication...Are you using Rivatuner to O/C your 640MB card and do you have it O/C on a permanent basis? I've never had mine above stock speed. It's still at 513 clock, 792 memory and 1188 shader....it's a 'virgin'. Was it quite a noticeable jump in performance over the stock card when you made the transition? Thanks.

not running benchmarks and just comparing game play, my stock clocked g92 doesn't offer noticeably improved gameplay compared to my g80 @ 621Mhz/1Ghz. being a gfx whore i run high quality textures, turn off texture opts, and use 16xAF with the highest AA mode allowing smooth play (1680x1050, system is c2d @ 3.4Ghz, 2GB ram, vista32).

now the g92 should be an overclocking monster, however i'm having issues overclocking so I'm not sure how much of an improvement overclocking the g92 memory will show).

I upgraded from an 8800GTS 640 a couple months ago. At stock, my 8800GTS512 was a tad faster than the 8800GTS640 overclocked.
Overclocked, the 8800GTS512 goes like stink:D see sig.
I really don't think the amount of memory or the narrower bus have any kind of performance hit over the 640.

Standard clock on a G92-8800GTS is only like 600MHz, right? I've seen factory OC versions with 740MHz cores.

Standard clock on a G92-8800GTS is only like 600MHz, right? I've seen factory OC versions with 740MHz cores.

Try stock clocks of 650.....and some, like my evga, came at 670, and it is running happily at 730.....I don't even care to go higher....it's fast enough.

Back