Greatest games of al time, worth playing now!

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
Checked it over and hope this is the best place to post this.

I am planning to assemble a gaming collection in the likes of LauchBox, CoinOPS or a Pi version on RetroPie or Bonocera or sorts. My goal is to stream line the games list with the following criteria:

1. Not an arcade port. List will include the actual arcade port so never a need to include an inferior copy-cat.
2. Shitty yet famous games that marked an era should be included. Eg. ET Atari 2600. Good game? No. But iconic and a must include. This would also include VCS Pac-Man etc..
3. Not every system needs to be included. Throw in an argument for your fav but I see too many collections with Game & Watch for example. Yes awesome for being thorough but NO! I would love every system but is there a defining game for that system worth playing today? (Exception: see #2)
4. Games that defined a system and do not fall into the above as well as being great to play.
5. Arcade is to have its own list like every console. Consoles are not allowed to have arcade titles unless a good argument is given.

Simple list and I am willing to adjust it if anyone has points to perfect. (Eg. should hand-held even be included?)

So throw your votes in please. Descriptions and reasons are welcomed. Consoles, Arcade, and all of the 8-16 bit computers are welcomed. Obviously this is retro so PC we can skip.

Hope for some feedback [H] crew. Enlighten me on your must haves and have good memories doing so :geek:

To reply. Name the system: then list the games. Fell free to add a your own commentary as you feel fit. Educate us all with your picks. Every insight is a gem!

I'll start, my top 20 PC engine / CD games in no particular order.

PC Engine / CD - Shooter's
Soldier Blade - One of the greatest shooters ever made
R-Type - Arguably the best shooter ever made
Sapphire - Again, another defining shooter, specifically using TG16's use of polygon 3D
Hellfire S
Nexzr
Air Zonk
Lords of Thunder
Gradius II
Cotton
Mr. Heli

PC Engine / CD
Castlevania / Dracula X Rondo of Blood - Arguably the best of the series
Shadow of the Beast
Bonk's Adventure - Defined System / Mascot
Loom
Prince of Persia
Ys 1 & 2
Ys III
YS IV: Dawn of Ys
Snatcher
Devil's Crush

I just have complete ROM/image sets so I don't even need to think about it.

I just have complete ROM/image sets so I don't even need to think about it.
That is what I am trying to avoid. I have endless giant collection but so much is wasted. If I had someone I was introducing to retro gaming and wanted to walk them through history of the greatest games and systems I would want a concise list of only winners.
Best of the best and or titles that in someway defined history for one reason or another.

Last edited:
I'll start, my top 20 PC engine / CD games in no particular order.

PC Engine / CD - Shooter's
Soldier Blade - One of the greatest shooters ever made
R-Type - Arguably the best shooter ever made
Sapphire - Again, another defining shooter, specifically using TG16's use of polygon 3D
Hellfire S
Nexzr
Air Zonk
Lords of Thunder
Gradius II
Cotton
Mr. Heli

PC Engine / CD
Castlevania / Dracula X Rondo of Blood - Arguably the best of the series
Shadow of the Beast
Bonk's Adventure - Defined System / Mascot
Loom
Prince of Persia
Ys 1 & 2
Ys III
YS IV: Dawn of Ys
Snatcher
Devil's Crush
Nice list Krenum. Pc-engine/Turbo GFX are systems which I have little knowledge. I believe R-type and Gradius II were arcade first.

With older systems that shaped gaming history it seems difficult to me to choose games that are genuinely great to play and not just tugging on my nostalgia strings.

Intellivision

Astrosmash
Utopia
Snafu
AD&D
B17 Bomber (Intellivoice?)

Atari 2600

Kaboom
Yar's revenge
Sace Invaders (console defining)
Adventure (Genre defining)
Pac Man (console defining)
E.T. (Console defining)
River Raid/Pitfall/Hero (but are these the best version of the game?)

Back