Google and Verizon announce partnership

howie_23

Supreme [H]ardness
Saw this up on Engadget today:

Initial announcement of service
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/06/google-and-verizon-announce-partnership-love-and-new-android-ha/

Verizon will support Google Voice:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/06/verizon-plans-to-support-google-voice-will-launch-two-game-cha/

First off, Verizon will be launching two Android products in the coming weeks -- we'd say at least one of them will be the Motorola Sholes, and while the other is still a mystery, Google says it'll be "game-changing." Very intriguing. Second, and perhaps much more interestingly, Verizon's making a big push to be seen as the "open" carrier, and flatly stated that they'll be supporting Google Voice on their network: "Either you have an open device or you don't."

Speculation on what the new phones will be:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/06/second-verizon-android-phone-to-be-the-htc-hero-motorola-sholes/

Any other Verizon users stoked about this?

Good news. Very good news indeed... but it looks like they are just trying to grab some market share early before the FCC regulates the cell phone companies and makes em all allow google voice and similar programs to allow full use of the internet and applications on their devices.

Wonder if there a teamspeak app for winmo...

Their pricing is still crazy outrageous for plans. I'd love to be with Verizon but I can't stand to pay their rates.

And in the background, has anyone noticed that Verizon has SOLD OUT of the Touch Pro 2? This is getting interesting but he who laughs last in this game might be the slowest but is going to have a belly ache at the end.

Their pricing is still crazy outrageous for plans. I'd love to be with Verizon but I can't stand to pay their rates.
Hopefully this new slew of phones will give them reason to change the rates on their data plans... Doubtful but one can always dream. ;)

Introducing Android Data Plan @ $39.99 per month!!

Only on Verizon, the nation's largest 3G network...it's the network.

And in the background, has anyone noticed that Verizon has SOLD OUT of the Touch Pro 2? This is getting interesting but he who laughs last in this game might be the slowest but is going to have a belly ache at the end.

It's because the Touch Pro 2 was the only decent smartphone they really had outside of Reasearch in Motion stuff.

Now that Android is landing and Palm coming in January, things will get interesting.

i wonder what this means to all the other carriers. will verizon get android updates before all others?

It's because the Touch Pro 2 was the only decent smartphone they really had outside of Reasearch in Motion stuff.

Now that Android is landing and Palm coming in January, things will get interesting.

True, but the as crappy as WinMo 6.x is, these phones are simply kick ass. And don't forget that Microsoft is going to be the last to roll out its big guns in Windows 7 Phones. Put in Zune tech and you have something. And the specs of these phones is going to crush anything coming out this year.

The mobile wars haven't even started.

The dynamics are changing so quickly it's one reason I'm staying with a no contract, piggyback provider (straighttalk) for now.

The dynamics are changing so quickly it's one reason I'm staying with a no contract, piggyback provider (straighttalk) for now.

I would do that too but their too much incentive to do contracts tied to devices.

I would do that too but their too much incentive to do contracts tied to devices.
Not a big enough incentive to me and many others.

Contract carriers are losing a ton of customers to prepaid, mostly to those who woke up and discovered how much they were overcharged for what they used. Others are using it as a bridge to hold 'em over and see what shakes out.

As you said however, if you need a device be ready to bend over forward for the next 2 years.

True, but the as crappy as WinMo 6.x is, these phones are simply kick ass. And don't forget that Microsoft is going to be the last to roll out its big guns in Windows 7 Phones. Put in Zune tech and you have something. And the specs of these phones is going to crush anything coming out this year.

The mobile wars haven't even started.

I'm not disputing that's one potential scenario.

My problem with MS in general on the mobile front is, they've been very fragmented with all of the offerings, including mobile.

Where they've missed the ball is platform integration. If they can do that successfully, then yes, I'll agree wholeheartedly.

Hello from 2010 and w00t for the Incredible!!!

HTC-Incredible-verizon1.jpg

Its kind of funny reading this thread and realizing sprint has the best android phone on the market coming out just around the corner. Where are these super verizon phones? The incredible surely cant be it?

Picky, picky. IMO, the Incredible IS a superphone. Great camera, 1Ghz CPU, 3.7" AMOLED, super lightweight and flat, pocket friendly...

HTC-Incredible-verizon1.jpg

disclaimer: this phone is part of a program(read:ripoff) that requires the user to have an additional mandatory (with what should be optional) data plan which means $90-$100 a month cell phone bill.

disclaimer: this phone is part of a program(read:ripoff) that requires the user to have an additional mandatory (with what should be optional) data plan which means $90-$100 a month cell phone bill.

Welcome to the US, where our phone plans fucking suck.

Welcome to Canada, where 50 bucks can get you started on a smartphone plan

Its kind of funny reading this thread and realizing sprint has the best android phone on the market coming out just around the corner. Where are these super verizon phones? The incredible surely cant be it?

The Evo is pretty much identical in specs to the Incredible with the only exception being it having 4G which is going to be totally useless everywhere besides Chicago for a long time still. So I wouldn't call it the "best" android phone but maybe tied for it with the Incredible.

Edit: Well shait, maybe it will be the best, lol. I didn't know it had a damn 4.3" screen, 2 cameras, a kickstand, and a friggin HDMI out on it. That's amazing :eek:. If this phone came to Verizon (or if I could just activate the damn thing on Verizon somehow) I would definitely drop my Droid for it.

Last edited:
The Evo is pretty much identical in specs to the Incredible with the only exception being it having 4G which is going to be totally useless everywhere besides Chicago for a long time still. So I wouldn't call it the "best" android phone but maybe tied for it with the Incredible.

I believe the camera are different and screen size. Minus 4G it will still be better.

The Evo is pretty much identical in specs to the Incredible with the only exception being it having 4G which is going to be totally useless everywhere besides Chicago for a long time still.

You realize there are 22 current markets with 4G, and another 25 coming this year? NYC/NJ is getting it in October, for instance.

You realize there are 22 current markets with 4G, and another 25 coming this year? NYC/NJ is getting it in October, for instance.

I am personally hoping houston will be one of them. if not oh well no biggie the EVO is still going to be a beast. I love the HD2, they could just slap on android and they would have me sold, all the upgrades are just bonuses.

US my ass it's just AT&T and verizon.
If I could at least get unlimited txt for $5 on VZW...but nooo, it's $20 and still not unlimited. $20 bucks! I just refrain from txting. It's the price paid for getting reception where/when no one else can. :)

If I could at least get unlimited txt for $5 on VZW...but nooo, it's $20 and still not unlimited. $20 bucks! I just refrain from txting. It's the price paid for getting reception where/when no one else can. :)

Yeah what people pay for VZW is insane. My brother is a VZW fanboy and keeps telling me how much its worth it.

Meanwhile on sprint i pay ~$30 less than him and have a much better plan and since i have unlimited roaming i can just force my phone into roaming and stay on the VZW network.

I had bad luck w/ sprint out here in AZ when I tried it last summer. I'd blame the phone (the pre), but it worked fine on VZW's network (pre plus). 1 more day and my Incredible arrives! Then I get to be super fanboy for a week!

Back