Good surround sound system?

Nytegard

2[H]4U
My Logitech Z5500 sub finally blew, so sadly it's time to replace this. I'm looking primarily for a decent 5.1 or 7.1 system.

I am in a similar boat, had my Logitech Zs for years now, but I had 2 speakers give up the ghost. Luckily the sub is still good. I was looking around and am thinking of dropping the 5.1 for a good 2.1 system (after all I have a 7.1 system for my home theater already). Was thinking of going with AudioEngine A5+ with their S8 sub. Heard some good things about it and it seems surround in games isn't always great compared to really good 2.1. I would be interested to see some other people's opinions on this.

Unless you want to downgrade I think your only options are the Z906 or a non-pc system like a standalone receiver and speakers.

Not many people have sound cards these days, and honestly HDMI audio far surpasses the noisy switching power you get from a PCI sound card anyway. Let your video card run cooler, route HDMI from your video card to a pre/pro or receiver, grab some 2-way satellite speakers online and call it a day. It ain't 1999-2003 anymore, almost nobody has released a decent PC sound system like the old Gigaworks S750 or Kipsch 5.1 Ultra in ages, and even if they did it would cost way more than $399 today.

Something like 3 pairs of Pioneer BS21s would come up to $150 and you could pick up a used receiver on ebay with HDMI 1.4+ for say $40-50, then another $50-100 for an entry level sub. $300 and you've got yourself a nice little 5.1/6.1 setup.

Last edited:
My Logitech Z5500 sub finally blew, so sadly it's time to replace this. I'm looking primarily for a decent 5.1 or 7.1 system.

If you are in NoVA I have one available :) PM Me.

No, I don't want to ship it. It's too damn big.

Back