good office CD burner?

SkaarjMaster

[H]ard|Gawd
Before ordering a SOHR-5239S for my office computer, I check around a little and it's not so good. :confused: Since the 5237S is out of production and I will probably almost never need a DVD burner at the office, what CD burner would you guys suggest I order instead of this one? Most of the burns at the office will be data or data backups or disc copies. Thank you.

i have the same burner in my home pc.... and i have burnt prob 300 to 400 cd's on it w/o a problem... though i have had some lite on burners go out on me after about 300 disc... but newegg is selling them for 22 bux right now... so how much do you want to spend per disc?

Based on replies at three different forums, here are the contenders (all biege):

Lite-On SOHR-5239S BG RTL >> $27.00
AOpen CRW-5232 Retail >> $26.99+
LG GCE-8527BB OEM >> $26.99 (retail 8526B >> $31)
Asus CRW-5232AX BGE OEM >> $27.99 (retail 5232AS >> $30.99)

you got 2 out of 3.........here, CDRlabs and AMDMBforums!;)

I do need to join CD Freaks though sometime. :D

back before dvd burners were commonplace, i'd always had Plextors or Lite-ons.

Now that dvd burners are roughly the same price and do at least twice as much, I have a hard time not recommending something that does everything. If you can get out spending <20, then go for it, but i've come across too many 'you just never know' times when you needed a little bit more.

I had kinda taken the Asus out of the running because it was suggested it was rebadged, but what is it a rebadge of?

Also, the AOpen is definitely out because only Directron has it and the best I can figure is the shipping will be anywhere from $6-$15. :eek:

I would definitely look into Plextor...had all my life and they work like a charm!!

I just ordered the Lite-On SOHR-5239S Retail from newegg. Thank you everyone for your advice.

Is it OK to hook this up as a Slave to a 52X CD-ROM or should I make the burner the Master?

Back