Global sales of XBox are so bad developers wonder if supporting the console is worth it for them

Microsoft wouldn’t even need an emulator, the OS itself is a stripped down Windows NT.

But the big guns are weighing in.
https://www.eurogamer.net/xbox-sets...t-technical-leap-ever-for-its-next-gen-system

Xbox president Sarah Bond had recently written to Xbox staff to reaffirm the company's commitment to hardware development – which will be welcomed news for many Xbox fans – and a plan to "future-proof" Xbox's digital libraries to "build on Xbox's strong history of delivering backward compatibility".

Xbox has "formed a new team dedicated to game preservation, important to all of us at Xbox and the industry itself".
I hope that includes letting people who already own games with licenses that have long since expired to play them on new consoles. They don't need to sell Forza Motorsport 4 to make it run on the Series X|S, FFS... Yes, I know about FM4+ on Xenia, but 360 emulation is still far from perfect.

I hope that includes letting people who already own games with licenses that have long since expired to play them on new consoles. They don't need to sell Forza Motorsport 4 to make it run on the Series X|S, FFS... Yes, I know about FM4+ on Xenia, but 360 emulation is still far from perfect.
While that would be awesome, I instead envision a variation of the Nintendo Virtual Console where a subscription gets you access to a digital library you can install from. Because monthly fees and all that corporate jazz.

What do you mean OEM? The hardware manufacturers? I don't think they care so long as they're paid.
The conversation is so strange, are we talking about MIcrosoft selling a PC good enough to play CAll of Duty 2028 with similar graphic-performance than the PS6 for $500 ?

If so, I am talking about the people that have has a business selling those PC for $1200 like HP-Dell and co.

If I have a software developpers shops, can I just buy a bunch of those plug monitors with USB-c/hdmi (or remote desktop) and work with super fast near 1000 gb/s ram or it is not just a PC ?
You telling me that Microsoft doesn't have two decades of games on Xbox? Microsoft can find a way to make even the OG Xbox games run on PC through an emulator. The community has done it and so has Microsoft on Xbox Series.
And why would they not buy all of those on steam without ever opening the MS store like they do on their PC right now ?

You seem to think this is a problem
For people trying to make money selling such system yes,
Microsoft also makes Surface Laptops, which also compete with PC resellers
Yes at price that make it possible for PC resellers to be competitive.

There are already devices like this that exist in the market.
Not when the console is new and this time there is no trick, it need to be a PC strong enough to run PC version of game at the same visual quality-performance than the optimised for Playstation 6 game do, no console tricks-shortcut-special hardware-smaller OS-optimisation to help.

If it is any good at doing AI inference and has not a single things that make it harder to build a datacenter from them than regular PC... what the chance it does not end up all snatched up and scalper paradise.

Last edited:
While that would be awesome, I instead envision a variation of the Nintendo Virtual Console where a subscription gets you access to a digital library you can install from. Because monthly fees and all that corporate jazz.
Unfortunately I think you're right. I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing, though, so long as Microsoft doesn't pull Nintendo's bullshit of a new silo'd version of the virtual console with every new piece of hardware. If a single price can give you access to the entirety of their legacy library it would be worth it. People have been trying to get this message across to Nintendo for years.

Consoles built in the 80's and early 90's were just using a variant of the 6502, which in itself is a cheaper cousin of the Motorola 6800. This continued with the use of MIPs, PowerPC, and etc.
Consoles in the 1980s and up until the mid-1990s absolutely crushed the contemporary PCs of their time, not because PCs were weaker but because bare-metal optimizations on then-consoles was out of this world.
A top-end $3000 USD PC in 1992 could not match the NES with the 1988 game The Guardian Legend due to said optimizations and graphics co-processor; this is historically well documented.

This started to change once storage capacities increased and FPUs and graphics co-processors started becoming relevant in PCs during the mid-1990s, and then GPUs took over by the 2000s.
The one exception in 2005 was the Xbox 360, being far more powerful than any single-GPU PC at the time of its release - after that it was all downhill for consoles for the performance crown (if ignoring the price points).

Consoles in the 1980s and up until the mid-1990s absolutely crushed the contemporary PCs of their time, not because PCs were weaker but because bare-metal optimizations on then-consoles was out of this world.
A top-end $3000 USD PC in 1992 could not match the NES with the 1988 game The Guardian Legend due to said optimizations and graphics co-processor; this is historically well documented.

This started to change once storage capacities increased and FPUs and graphics co-processors started becoming relevant in PCs during the mid-1990s, and then GPUs took over by the 2000s.
The one exception in 2005 was the Xbox 360, being far more powerful than any single-GPU PC at the time of its release - after that it was all downhill for consoles for the performance crown (if ignoring the price points).
The fact that a screenshot of a game of Mario is larger and requires more processing power to view than the entirety of NES Mario Bros is insane.
But that is the level of optimization games of the time required to work.

The fact that a screenshot of a game of Mario is larger and requires more processing power to view than the entirety of NES Mario Bros is insane.
I mean... It's optimization but it is also just not having much in the way of graphics or sound fidelity. Part of the reason NES games were small is the thing was only 256x240 and you didn't do it per-pixel it was almost all tile/sprite based with only 3 colors per sprite, maybe 20 colors total on the screen at once. That meant things were not only low rez and low color, but also very repetitive since you didn't have that many sprites to work with. If you'd like to have a nice 4k display in HDR10, where each pixel can be rendered individually, well that's almost 32MB just for a single framebuffer.

Complexity and detail have a cost.

I mean... It's optimization but it is also just not having much in the way of graphics or sound fidelity. Part of the reason NES games were small is the thing was only 256x240 and you didn't do it per-pixel it was almost all tile/sprite based with only 3 colors per sprite, maybe 20 colors total on the screen at once. That meant things were not only low rez and low color, but also very repetitive since you didn't have that many sprites to work with. If you'd like to have a nice 4k display in HDR10, where each pixel can be rendered individually, well that's almost 32MB just for a single framebuffer.

Complexity and detail have a cost.
But at that time that was still ground breaking.
The work Nintendo did to make area transitions work in the first Zelda and the memory tricks that accompanied it were insane.

But at that time that was still ground breaking.
The work Nintendo did to make area transitions work in the first Zelda and the memory tricks that accompanied it were insane.
Absolutely and I am not at all hating on it. Trying to make a system look that good with 2KB of VRAM, and 1980s tech, is some next level shit. Just saying not to blame new things for getting big. Sometimes we get nostalgia for old things and forget how far we've come. It is fun to fire up a NES emulator on a 4k display and set it not to stretch, to display at native rez and see this tiny postage stamp of a video and say "man, we used to game at that rez?"

Of course back in the NES days our living room TV was about the same size as my computer monitor now :p

Microsoft wouldn’t even need an emulator, the OS itself is a stripped down Windows NT.

But the big guns are weighing in.
https://www.eurogamer.net/xbox-sets...t-technical-leap-ever-for-its-next-gen-system

Xbox president Sarah Bond had recently written to Xbox staff to reaffirm the company's commitment to hardware development – which will be welcomed news for many Xbox fans – and a plan to "future-proof" Xbox's digital libraries to "build on Xbox's strong history of delivering backward compatibility".

Xbox has "formed a new team dedicated to game preservation, important to all of us at Xbox and the industry itself".

I'm sure they will reaffirm and be committed to hardware development until they day they announce they are discontinuing the Xbox consoles. :p

A hollow statement. I don't expect them to discontinue Xbox this generation though. Even if the Playstation outsells Xbox 2 to 1, I'd assume that is still a decent market share. Even if the Xbox name is declining it still is one of Microsoft's best consumer brand names. I do question whether Xbox consoles have much of a future or if they plan to push everything to an Xbox branded subscription service that runs on other consoles long term.

I'm sure they will reaffirm and be committed to hardware development until they day they announce they are discontinuing the Xbox consoles. :p

A hollow statement. I don't expect them to discontinue Xbox this generation though. Even if the Playstation outsells Xbox 2 to 1, I'd assume that is still a decent market share. Even if the Xbox name is declining it still is one of Microsoft's best consumer brand names. I do question whether Xbox consoles have much of a future or if they plan to push everything to an Xbox branded subscription service that runs on other consoles long term.
Even if they “discontinue” the hardware console itself they would rebrand XBox as part of the windows platform. Microsoft owns too many game studios to abandon gaming as a whole. But the costs of selling a console at cost and the cost of an entry level PC with a similar performance profile are creeping close.
Pair that with the EUs and DoJs Recent stances on gated platforms like Apple and Android and it’s not exactly a leap to see them coming after Microsoft and Sony next as consoles aren’t too much different from Apple in their gated community approach to the platform as a whole.
So having a plan to stay ahead of them and keeping compliant with what ever rules they enforce on Apple and Google going forward would be a safe strategy.

A luxury is not a necessity and can be discarded when cost of living expenses are, globally, out of control.

For example: Food and shelter are basic human necessities.

I would argue some luxuries are also a necessity. We are not just lumps of flesh that only need basic sustenance and everything else is unnecessary extra, we also need something to stimulate our minds and souls. Without SOME luxuries it doesn't matter if we have all the basic necessities available when people are either going insane or offing themselves in extreme cases. We can go without such for a long time when necessary (war times are a good example) but eventually this need for luxuries has to be met or mental health becomes a serious issue.

But yeah, I doubt a subscription to a service could be considered a mandatory luxury... Not yet anyway.

The conversation is so strange, are we talking about MIcrosoft selling a PC good enough to play CAll of Duty 2028 with similar graphic-performance than the PS6 for $500 ?
You would think. The Xbox cannot stand on good exclusives alone.
If so, I am talking about the people that have has a business selling those PC for $1200 like HP-Dell and co.
This is capitalism. You adapt or you go out of business. Maybe they can start by not putting one stick of memory and forgetting to tighten all the screws? Also, go into the BIOS and setup XMP memory. Prebuilts are built really badly.
If I have a software developpers shops, can I just buy a bunch of those plug monitors with USB-c/hdmi (or remote desktop) and work with super fast near 1000 gb/s ram or it is not just a PC ?
That's up to Microsoft. Remember, Microsoft's hardware would have to compete with other hardware.
And why would they not buy all of those on steam without ever opening the MS store like they do on their PC right now ?
I don't think you understand how capitalism works. It's Microsofts job to find a reason to use their store. Epic thinks some exclusives and Fortnite is enough reason.
For people trying to make money selling such system yes,
Again, capitalism. If you want business then you must compete.
Yes at price that make it possible for PC resellers to be competitive.
Again, not anyone's problem. Nobody asks what Nintendo should do with the Switch 2 now that Valve's Steam Deck is competing on price. You could get a Switch for $300 or a Steam Deck for $350 with more than twice of everything in specs.
Not when the console is new and this time there is no trick, it need to be a PC strong enough to run PC version of game at the same visual quality-performance than the optimised for Playstation 6 game do, no console tricks-shortcut-special hardware-smaller OS-optimisation to help.
It being a PC running Windows does not mean it can't run console optimized games. These things aren't mutually exclusive.
If it is any good at doing AI inference and has not a single things that make it harder to build a datacenter from them than regular PC... what the chance it does not end up all snatched up and scalper paradise.
Were you around when the PS5 was snatched up in scalper paradise? Scalpers gonna scalp, no matter what you do.

PC gaming didn't really come into play until the early 90's when Doom just took over the industry, but it was a thing before the 90's. Remember when sound cards was the best thing you can do for gaming on your PC? Doom wasn't exactly playable on most consoles at the time without some sacrifice or a massive co-processor.
No... I ran Nesticle a NES emulator on my schools PC that had a 386 in it. No sound because it just killed performance, plus only PC speaker. General rule of emulation is that the host machine needs at least 10x more processing power than the machine you're trying to emulate. Wasn't just the CPU that needed emulation either. There were a number of PC games that couldn't run on a SNES or Genesis.

No... I ran Nesticle a NES emulator on my schools PC that had a 386 in it. No sound because it just killed performance, plus only PC speaker. General rule of emulation is that the host machine needs at least 10x more processing power than the machine you're trying to emulate. Wasn't just the CPU that needed emulation either. There were a number of PC games that couldn't run on a SNES or Genesis.
I was referring to the native performance of Mario on the NES, I mean the entirety of the original Mario game is just shy of 32KB, a screenshot at a native resolution of 256x240 is going to be larger than that.

I don't think you understand how capitalism works. It's Microsofts job to find a reason to use their store. Epic thinks some exclusives and Fortnite is enough reason.
A very easy one is to make it the only one like they do right now.

This is capitalism. You adapt or you go out of business. Maybe they can start by not putting one stick of memory and forgetting to tighten all the screws? Also, go into the BIOS and setup XMP memory. Prebuilts are built really badly.
How do you compete by people against people that sell at a massive lost, if not by pushing post sales services by having your own store, do you/we really want even more of that type of world, company that make hardware that need to find post sales revenues so try to control that hardware and what people do with it.

Even if they make a excellent build, price is kind of king often.

That's up to Microsoft. Remember, Microsoft's hardware would have to compete with other hardware.
Yes that exactly what we are talking about, Microsoft decision and the tradeoff for them, too loose money on sales of PC that endup running Linux in a datacenter or people desk as a business strategy, loosing Dell-HP as partner and so on, at least that the point someone on a message board talking about what Microsoft should or should not do too people that say just make a very powerful $500 PC and curious what they respond to it, not just platitude, that capitalism.... yes and for capitalist reason it is not obviously a good idea.

Again, not anyone's problem.
Outside Microsoft the people we are talking about (why do you think they have any relationship with them, because they gain from its existence)

It being a PC running Windows does not mean it can't run console optimized games. These things aren't mutually exclusive.
So it is not just a PC anymore ?, it is full PC perfectly able to run Call of Duty PC version really well and as console extra hardware to optimize too as well in that super low cost ? GameDev still make a build just for them, there still Xbox game binary that do not run on my PC but they are just PCs ?

Were you around when the PS5 was snatched up in scalper paradise? Scalpers gonna scalp, no matter what you do.
Imagine if they would have been really good at mining crypto with just a couple of easy click by anyone without any knowledge now like what we are talking about here.

How do you compete by people against people that sell at a massive lost, if not by pushing post sales services by having your own store, do you/we really want even more of that type of world, company that make hardware that need to find post sales revenues so try to control that hardware and what people do with it.

Even if they make a excellent build, price is kind of king often.
Nobody knows how much money is lost, if any. I showed you a mini PC that costs less than $600 that has twice as much ram and more storage plus a more modern Zen4 CPU. Not to forget it uses M.2 and not some proprietary memory slot like the Xbox Series X. With the exception of the GPU, the Xbox Series X doesn't have much going for it. I really doubt that Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are losing money on hardware sales and hoping to recoup through game sales. Sony certainly doesn't lose money anymore. I certainly don't believe Phil Spencer.
Outside Microsoft the people we are talking about (why do you think they have any relationship with them, because they gain from its existence)
Don't care.
So it is not just a PC anymore ?, it is full PC perfectly able to run Call of Duty PC version really well and as console extra hardware to optimize too as well in that super low cost ? GameDev still make a build just for them, there still Xbox game binary that do not run on my PC but they are just PCs ?
Yes, you can do that.
Imagine if they would have been really good at mining crypto with just a couple of easy click by anyone without any knowledge now like what we are talking about here.
Not going to assume something like that couldn't happen again. Might as well say that lightening might strike.
I was referring to the native performance of Mario on the NES, I mean the entirety of the original Mario game is just shy of 32KB, a screenshot at a native resolution of 256x240 is going to be larger than that.
You're impressed by silly things. Remember Kkrieger the 96KB 3D Shooter? That's a game you can run on PC. You'd be surprised what was needed to be done to get games to look and sound the way they did on such limited hardware. Nostalgia Nerd also made that distinction of the screenshot file size and the actual game itself. Kinda wish developers would bring these techniques back to reduce game file sizes.

View: https://youtu.be/bD1wWY1YD-M?si=QQUw1Zh-N9tT_7X2

View: https://youtu.be/lA3LzyH6cEg?si=IYtkMQhiAyo0U1of

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Even if they “discontinue” the hardware console itself they would rebrand XBox as part of the windows platform. Microsoft owns too many game studios to abandon gaming as a whole. But the costs of selling a console at cost and the cost of an entry level PC with a similar performance profile are creeping close.
Pair that with the EUs and DoJs Recent stances on gated platforms like Apple and Android and it’s not exactly a leap to see them coming after Microsoft and Sony next as consoles aren’t too much different from Apple in their gated community approach to the platform as a whole.
So having a plan to stay ahead of them and keeping compliant with what ever rules they enforce on Apple and Google going forward would be a safe strategy.
They already did that back in 2018-2019. Xbox is Microsoft's global gaming brand and hasn't referred to just consoles for more the 5 years at this point.

People are seriously reaching. The person in that picture, assuming it is actually a female, has some good feminine features.
She looks good honestly. The actor she's based on does look better, but also doesn't share many similarities if you ask me. The problem is the community manager Shauna Jones who also seems to hate white straight middle aged men. This isn't related to Microsoft because she does work for Ubisoft, but Microsoft has also gone this route as well. The industry needs to purge these people out because they're toxic. At this point I feel there's a poster in every AAA gamings office that has a negative thing to say about white straight men, with Asian men being consider "white adjacent". Wish I could make that stuff up.
Shauna Jones ubisoft.jpeg

Nobody knows how much money is lost, if any. I showed you a mini PC that costs less than $600 that has twice as much ram and more storage plus a more modern Zen4 CPU. Not to forget it uses M.2 and not some proprietary memory slot like the Xbox Series X. With the exception of the GPU, the Xbox Series X doesn't have much going for it. I really doubt that Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are losing money on hardware sales and hoping to recoup through game sales. Sony certainly doesn't lose money anymore. I certainly don't believe Phil Spencer.
This is going 4 years after launch, no I do not imagine they lose much money now, but if you remove any Consoles like advantage to compete with an PS6 you probably need to have a little bit better hardware than usual as well. Nintendo tend to make money on sales I think
Don't care.
I do not suggest you do (you seem to do too ?), I am just talking about people that seem to care about what Microsoft should do, to explain it if they can. I would like for Microsoft to sale to me superbe computer at a superbe price obviously, that different from saying that they should.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
She looks good honestly. The actor she's based on does look better, but also doesn't share many similarities if you ask me. The problem is the community manager Shauna Jones who also seems to hate white straight middle aged men. This isn't related to Microsoft because she does work for Ubisoft, but Microsoft has also gone this route as well. The industry needs to purge these people out because they're toxic. At this point I feel there's a poster in every AAA gamings office that has a negative thing to say about white straight men, with Asian men being consider "white adjacent". Wish I could make that stuff up.
View attachment 647009
Sometimes I feel like they also do this to avoid the “uncanny valley” you can design and animate a solid 7, but it’s very tricky to do the same with a 9 or a 10 without it being off putting. It also greatly decreases the likelihood of the character ending up on Pornhub or other such site which is an item on small concern for some companies, I mean we don’t care but many actors and actresses don’t care for it, and it can cause some issues for companies especially when dealing with licensed IP. Disney hates the XXX versions of their characters, they have teams dedicated to finding and removing it… Which must have some interesting people working in that department…

This is going 4 years after launch, no I do not imagine they lose much money now, but if you remove any Consoles like advantage to compete with an PS6 you probably need to have a little bit better hardware than usual as well. Nintendo tend to make money on sales I think
Should Microsoft just continue with the Xbox formula? It hasn't worked in over 10 years, and will continue to not work. I'm sure there are hurdles that Microsoft has to overcome but it's either make the Xbox into a PC or watch it continue to fail.
I do not suggest you do (you seem to do too ?), I am just talking about people that seem to care about what Microsoft should do, to explain it if they can. I would like for Microsoft to sale to me superbe computer at a superbe price obviously, that different from saying that they should.
What I mean is that these are not problems I need to worry about as a consumer. As a consumer all I care is that it's cheap and does what I want. Making Xbox into a PC would sell more Xbox's while also selling more Xbox games. If you had a choice between a dedicated $1k+ PC to play games or a $500 Xbox Series whatever that can also play PC games AND Xbox games, which would most people buy? Sony has a straight up better library of games, but making Xbox a PC would allow for a much larger selection of games. You can still buy Xbox games with all the optimizations of a console, or a PC version with mods and better store selection with cheaper prices. You can also download emulators to play games for other consoles, thus giving consumers a much more complete selection of games. This isn't something that hasn't been done before, because that's what the Steam Deck is. You don't see a bunch of people going out and buying Steam Decks to crypto mine or run Office suite software. I'm sure someone has tried, but not enough for anyone to care.
Sometimes I feel like they also do this to avoid the “uncanny valley” you can design and animate a solid 7, but it’s very tricky to do the same with a 9 or a 10 without it being off putting. It also greatly decreases the likelihood of the character ending up on Pornhub or other such site which is an item on small concern for some companies, I mean we don’t care but many actors and actresses don’t care for it, and it can cause some issues for companies especially when dealing with licensed IP. Disney hates the XXX versions of their characters, they have teams dedicated to finding and removing it… Which must have some interesting people working in that department…
Rule 34 isn't going to stop because a video game character isn't a 10/10. That just pushes NSFW artists to go even harder. If you've ever searched for a character on Google images, it doesn't take long before you find NSFW stuff. If these people think by making the characters less appealing will stop the Rule 34, then they've never been on the internet. The AI tools are just gonna make this a lot worse.

View: https://youtu.be/Xa6GJ6PLFYM?si=QnyYwioQYckLupOA

What I mean is that these are not problems I need to worry about as a consumer
Obviously but that not at all the conversation people are having, yes sure, I want the best computer in the world for $500 thank you and I do not need to worry what it mean for that kind of dumping and competition destroying by a giant, I will just take it.

People seem to suggest what they should do, not what they would like.

Making Xbox into a PC would sell more Xbox's while also selling more Xbox games.
Sell more Xbox obviously, not necessarily more Xbox game... more PC game yes. Xbox games do not exist anymore no ? You can copy them directly on your PC and launch them now right or the machine they sell is not just a pc ?
You can still buy Xbox games with all the optimizations of a console
So the Xbox 6 is not just a PC at all ? It is also an Xbox and a PC as well, both for $500, I am just trying to understand the proposition, what would the device be, how it perform in video game versus the PS6 games made for the PS6, how good it is are running AI-office application-compiling code to make people buy this instead of regular PC ?

You don't see a bunch of people going out and buying Steam Decks to crypto mine or run Office suite software. I'm sure someone has tried, but not enough for anyone to care.
Obviously it is mini very low powered affair, the Xbox in 2020 or the Xbox in 2027 trying to compete with a PS6 would be quite different. This would be a windows PC out of the box (or would it be ?), if I can copy paste in a regular network drive my current PC game, double click the .exe and the game launch without any issue, work, nothing, it will be the same for all the other applications. And I will have a much better PC for that price that I could find anywhere (or would it not be, if so how ?)

Do people mean, keep it a console, very similar to the one they have now, but that can launch the current WinTel games library ? That quite different than making it just a pc.

Obviously but that not at all the conversation people are having, yes sure, I want the best computer in the world for $500 thank you and I do not need to worry what it mean for that kind of dumping and competition destroying by a giant, I will just take it.
Nobody is suggesting that the Xbox Series X or PS5 are the best computers in the world. It has bee suggested that these consoles are..."not a top tier gaming machine because that's not true. It's an affordable living room box that's equivalent in gaming performance to a mid to high end gaming PC from about 5 years ago." He's not talking about 5 years from today either. There's a reason why the PS5 and Xbox Series X are equivalent to a 6600XT and not a more closer matching 6700XT based on it's specs. You will never gain the same level of performance on a console when the CPU+GPU share the same memory that isn't appropriate for the CPU as well as GPU. Also remember the Xbox is not exactly upgradable like a desktop built PC. Not everything is an advantage on a Xbox, as you'll have to decide if the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.
Sell more Xbox obviously, not necessarily more Xbox game... more PC game yes. Xbox games do not exist anymore no ? You can copy them directly on your PC and launch them now right or the machine they sell is not just a pc ?
Nobody said Xbox games have to go. It's up to Microsoft and their publishers to determine if a Xbox optimized game is worth making for the console. If a PC version of the game allows mods and doesn't require a monthly fee to play online, then that's something Microsoft would need to compete with. Also, what PC game have you known that you can just copy over to another PC? All PC games have DRM, unless you know where to look to remove them.
So the Xbox 6 is not just a PC at all ? It is also an Xbox and a PC as well, both for $500, I am just trying to understand the proposition, what would the device be, how it perform in video game versus the PS6 games made for the PS6, how good it is are running AI-office application-compiling code to make people buy this instead of regular PC ?
Just like the Steam Deck, it's both a PC and a console, but in the Xbox 6's case it would be more console than PC. This makes less sense with a Sega Genesis that despite having the same CPU as Apple computers, could never run Apple software. Hardware and software today is so advanced that this never needs to be mutually exclusive. You also don't need to wait for the Xbox 6 to start doing this. A software update for the Xbox Series consoles could get the ball rolling now. There's no reason not to beyond maybe pissing off publishers. I'd imagine developers who port their games to Xbox won't be happy knowing that Xbox consoles could now also run a PC version of their game. Mostly because they would probably not port their games to Xbox and waste resources.
This would be a windows PC out of the box (or would it be ?),
Probably not entirely. Just like the Steam Deck, it boots and runs like just a normal Xbox, but would need a series of steps to get it to boot a cut down version of Windows. I'd imagine an Xbox mode and a Windows PC mode.
if I can copy paste in a regular network drive my current PC game, double click the .exe and the game launch without any issue, work, nothing, it will be the same for all the other applications. And I will have a much better PC for that price that I could find anywhere (or would it not be, if so how ?)
You absolutely could but remember this wouldn't be the most ideal PC to use for daily PC tasks. I've already linked two mini PC's that have more IO and upgradable parts and a faster CPU. While the Xbox has a much faster GPU, the GPU isn't everything in a PC. It's also still an AMD GPU which isn't great for productivity.
Do people mean, keep it a console, very similar to the one they have now, but that can launch the current WinTel games library ? That quite different than making it just a pc.
Again, up to Microsoft. Microsoft could do this a number of ways. They could just not put Windows and instead put a compatibility layer that allows approved Windows games to run on the Xbox. Much like how MacOS can run iOS apps. Microsoft could also virtualize PC games without any access to a full version of Windows. If I was a normie looking to buy an Xbox vs PS5, then running a desktop version of Windows on Xbox would probably win me over. Especially if I didn't have much money and needed a desktop PC anyway. Remember when the PS3 ran Linux as a selling point, until it was removed and all hell broke lose for Sony? Kinda like that, but a lot better.

Back