Gateway OEM computer questions?

SkaarjMaster

[H]ard|Gawd
My wife got her old computer from work when she left and we decided to hook it up at the house as is, except I have a few questions after I list the specs.

COMPUTER: Gateway Midway Plus EA E4100 Deluxe PC
CPU: P4 2.4GHz (P4 HT)
MOTHERBOARD: Intel LaCrosse D865PESO Springdale-G i865G (AMI Bios)
RAM: Infineon PC3200 DDR 400Mhz (2x256MB) 512MB
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (says PCI in some places and AGP in others)
(also has unactivated on-board video, Intel Extreme Graphics 2)
HD: Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB 7200rpm Ultra-ATA/133
DVD/CD: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4480B (whatever that is)
MONITOR: 17-in. LCD (Gateway Model No. FPD1730)
AUDIO: Intel 82801ED ICH5 - AC'97 audio controller (SoundMAX)
NIC: on-board
PSU: 250W

Also, we find it listed at MPC (Gateway's Business support branch) as OEM E4100 2.4 80GB DLX R0.

We're leaving XP Pro installed on it, so here's a few questions we need to know that I don't know the answer for already:
1. why does it ask me "Please select the operating system to start." on bootup and how do I stop this?

2. In the bios under bootup, there is a setting called "Display Setup Prompt". What the heck is this and what should it be set to? It was enabled and I disabled it and don't notice any difference.

3. In the bios, the video configuration for primary video adapter is set to PCI, but it looks like the monitor is plugged into an AGP card on the motherboard (FX 5200?). What's up with that?

4. I got the SoundMAX sound working now through my 2.1 speakers. But with the sound all the way down on my speakers and volume in volume control on the computer set to around 4 out of 10, I still hear a little sound coming from my speakers. Is there any way to change this so that I don't hear anything with the sound on the speakers all the way down?

Thank you.

1. figured it out
2. no idea, but I'm leaving it disabled
3. apparently, it's still running in AGP and it doesn't effect anything.
4. apparently, not much I can do about this.
5. there was a 5th question but I figured it out.:)

Back