Forza Motorsport(8) thread

Is anyone else getting random performance drops? I'll randomly have my frame rate drop from 80-90 fps into the 40s, with GPU usage similarly falling off a cliff. Eventually figured out that all I have to do is pause and then un-pause the game to fix it. Very strange.

Also, the whole car XP thing and locking upgrades behind it is absolutely infuriating. Forza 7 was one of the most disappointing game I ever played because they removed rivals mode... now rivals is back, but I can't enjoy it because all of the car upgrades are locked behind "car XP" walls. I'm convinced that no developers play test their games at all anymore.
I have not experienced any performance drops.

The car leveling thing doesn't bother me at all. It's a lot better in my opinion than the forced homologation in FM7, in my opinion.

They didn't remove Rivals in FM7. It was the only mode I played in the game for the past couple years in that game.
Does it play well on the keyboard?
All of you bought the premium version? I thought regular is coming on 10th.
Yes, the standard version comes out on Tuesday.
I'm tempted to get this. I have a Fanatec CSL DD wheel. I mostly play Assetto Corsa for the modding. FH5 works with it but it's obvious it leans heavily for controller use with the wheel so it lost it's luster for the wheel really quick. I get that it's a arcade game but ugh after playing AC and ACC it kinda sucks. Does this Forza feel like that? I know it's more of a sim but I'm sure it still has Arcade like qualities (Which isn't bad IMO, I haven't found the right balance yet). I have other racing games but this is the "oooooo new shiny".

View attachment 604356

Anyone with a wheel playing yet?
Motorsport feels a lot better with a wheel compared to Horizon, it just takes some tuning to get it to feel right
I want to buy this game. Like.. bad. Premium is 150 bucks up here. That review you guys are talking about is why I take many with a grain of salt. It just goes to show that not everyone can tune a system, no matter how smart they think they are. I see it on youtube too. A lot of those guys cant tune worth a shit.
You can play it early by paying your equivalent of USD $30 for the Premium upgrade if you have Game Pass. They did the same thing with Starfield.

I wouldn't suggest playing FM8 with a wheel. It's better than 7, but only by virtue of being functional. I played around with wheel settings for an hour or so and never got to anything beyond 'it takes effort to turn'. I only have a G27, but it's still night and day between Forza and Assetto Corsa. A clutch pedal is also useless because the game locks you into neutral for a full second after shifting because 'balance reasons'.

It plays much better with a controller. I'm surprised by both how good the physics feel and how bad the graphics are, the opposite of what I was expecting.

There's clearly some problem with how lighting/reflections/colors work. I've seen some good looking screenshots, but in game at max settings it still looks like the darkest color is grey, every car has a matte paint finish, and everything is blurry. Using DLAA helps some (it probably disables the TXAA), but I'd rather have MSAA or no AA at all. This poster might be on to something, apparently vinyls reflect properly and only paint looks wrong:
https://forums.forza.net/t/gfx-look-flat-why-bug/626236/24

yup ^^
it ended up getting added to game pass up here so i used my ms rewards point to get a free pass. games not to shabby. i get wild fps fluctuations everywhere but in race though. it swings from 40-120 between menus and transition scenes, but racing always stays 70+. oh well, racings smooth. 2 other minor things is it is finicky with my freesync and i sometime have to turn it off/on, and it ignores my fps limiter but caps itself at 120 so whatever. had to settle for 1440/high as im pushing vram limits. ill keep playing while i keep getting free passes.

Ah, a "known issue" that AMD graphics cards require shader compilation every time you start the game (after a fresh boot).

I don't know what it is, but I just cannot seem to find the rhythm at Kyalami. I even spent time with the suggested line assist to find what I might be doing wrong and I didn't really improve. It may have not helped that everything I've driven there so far has that stupid 8-speed transmission that BMW uses in the M4 and Supra.

Do you guys think it's worth paying for premium? I mean it's only 500,000 credits that will come with it and 30 cars. I heard the tracks addition is free. Might be worth picking up the upgrade during a sale or some such? Thoughts?

I am playing it on gamepass so only have access to regular version for now.

Do you guys think it's worth paying for premium? I mean it's only 500,000 credits that will come with it and 30 cars. I heard the tracks addition is free. Might be worth picking up the upgrade during a sale or some such? Thoughts?

I am playing it on gamepass so only have access to regular version for now.

"i dont like this game. should i buy the premium version?!"
no?

Just suffered the data loss bug. Had completed the weekly pro tour and ended up having to quit since Rivals was stuck in loading. Restarted game and 2 races are gone from my account and all associated XP and rewards.

I keep losing progress in this game? How can this be so bad? Wtf? And my game isn't even crashing. I use the exit to windows button on the damn menu. So pissed off. More than 1 hour worth of racing gone already.

It's just so stuttery. It's really hard to play in this state.. depending on the track I get between 40 and 100 fps on a 3090... Kills the experience. Wtf they doing

I'm digging the game. If anyone's got any tips for settings that will produce somewhat stable framerate and frametimes, I'd be appreciative

It's better on the Series X than the PC now, that's for sure. I got tired of compiling shaders and getting booted out of the game after each race with my 7900XTX, so just switched to using the Xbox until they get it all fixed.

I'm digging the game. If anyone's got any tips for settings that will produce somewhat stable framerate and frametimes, I'd be appreciative
turn your settings down to high and then work them back up until you get the fps you want. also turn off as much of the dynamic stuff as you can and lower or turn off rt.
edit: and turn on vsync

im still having fun with it. it continue to ignore my frame cap because its not real full screen but whatever. also, im not getting any stutter but im running 1440/high, getting 55-80+fps in race.

Last edited:
I picked up game pass to try this out and play flight simulator.
I was pretty furious that having the game maxxed out netted me 40FPS and the game looked like shit with my 3090. Then i turned on DLSS and the game picked up 20 frames and looks better but not great? lolwtf
Game also doesnt seem to like 3440x1440.
Ill hold the rest of my thoughts until ive played more.

I picked up game pass to try this out and play flight simulator.
I was pretty furious that having the game maxxed out netted me 40FPS and the game looked like shit with my 3090. Then i turned on DLSS and the game picked up 20 frames and looks better but not great? lolwtf
Game also doesnt seem to like 3440x1440.
Ill hold the rest of my thoughts until ive played more.

could be the cpu too. a 7700k beat it for gaming and min. recommended is an 11600K. it seems older gen chips arent doing so well in it.

I wouldn't suggest playing FM8 with a wheel. It's better than 7, but only by virtue of being functional. I played around with wheel settings for an hour or so and never got to anything beyond 'it takes effort to turn'. I only have a G27, but it's still night and day between Forza and Assetto Corsa. A clutch pedal is also useless because the game locks you into neutral for a full second after shifting because 'balance reasons'.

It plays much better with a controller. I'm surprised by both how good the physics feel and how bad the graphics are, the opposite of what I was expecting.

There's clearly some problem with how lighting/reflections/colors work. I've seen some good looking screenshots, but in game at max settings it still looks like the darkest color is grey, every car has a matte paint finish, and everything is blurry. Using DLAA helps some (it probably disables the TXAA), but I'd rather have MSAA or no AA at all. This poster might be on to something, apparently vinyls reflect properly and only paint looks wrong:
https://forums.forza.net/t/gfx-look-flat-why-bug/626236/24
Just got around to launching it finally today. Running great with DLSS on 3080/1200KF at 3440x1440p and my G29 worked out of the box almost perfectly to my wheel setting likings. Ive only run about 4 races as of now though.

AI is dumb.

Graphics are good, but bit disappointing.

Dont use auto settings, turn everything up manually.
first thing i did.

could be the cpu too. a 7700k beat it for gaming and min. recommended is an 11600K. it seems older gen chips arent doing so well in it.
Suppose it could be. Might try turning the CPU up and seeing how it reacts. Its only 3.0GHz right now.

turn your settings down to high and then work them back up until you get the fps you want. also turn off as much of the dynamic stuff as you can and lower or turn off rt.
edit: and turn on vsync

im still having fun with it. it continue to ignore my frame cap because its not real full screen but whatever. also, im not getting any stutter but im running 1440/high, getting 55-80+fps in race.
Rt off was the key for me. A lot less stuttering... However performance still isn't where it should be in my opinion... Everything on high gives 85 in the benchmark, everything on ultra is 81.. AF on 8x. Blur off, lens flare on cause I like it , 1440p

Still getting CTD with a driver time out post patch with the latest AMD Adrenalin drivers. Pretty much every race, at the "race rewards" screen. Same behavior from day one. Plays fine otherwise - 70-90FPS at 4K native, everything maxed. Frustrating - I enjoy the game but am not willing to sit through all its intro bullshit over and over.

Rt off was the key for me. A lot less stuttering... However performance still isn't where it should be in my opinion... Everything on high gives 85 in the benchmark, everything on ultra is 81.. AF on 8x. Blur off, lens flare on cause I like it , 1440p
the benchmark reads low for me, in race is always way higher that it shows. af x16 would probably be fine, barely makes a perf difference. is you play with the behind view, you can turn down mirrors and windshields reflection to gain back at bit of perf. you could also try setting the exe priority to high, see if that helps at all.

I cap my frames at 60, and at 4K ultra settings it looks great, it does beat my hardware pretty good though.

Anyone seeing high GPU usage?

On let's say Suzuka, AI race, I see between 50% and 80% GPU usage and maybe 40% CPU usage? GPU is mostly around 50% usage.

Anyway, I'll continue playing cause it def is playable but I've got my fingers crossed they iron this shit out

Edit: with horizon I can see a proper 100% usage. Why don't they just do what they did for horizon

Still getting CTD with a driver time out post patch with the latest AMD Adrenalin drivers. Pretty much every race, at the "race rewards" screen. Same behavior from day one. Plays fine otherwise - 70-90FPS at 4K native, everything maxed. Frustrating - I enjoy the game but am not willing to sit through all its intro bullshit over and over.

Same issue, someone over on Reddit said to use auto for the Performance Target setting to fix it but I haven’t tried it since switching to using the Xbox.

Back