Forza Motorsport(8) thread

October 10.

Upgrade system is exactly the same. It won't surprise me at all if the tuning system is the same broken mess we've had forever. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. God forbid they try to actually push the simulation forward.

Would prefer them to instead of doing 400-500 cars. Do 200-250 cars with a deeper car mod system and better tuning. If this is just a copy paste of previous motorsport titles I probably won't buy it at full price, likely will wait for a decent sale.

Would prefer them to instead of doing 400-500 cars. Do 200-250 cars with a deeper car mod system and better tuning.
Why compromise? Its not hard to do both. Car count is dictated by licensing. Its just them being cheap and going for maximum profit(they break records every launch on copies sold so the money is there). Car mod system is long overdue for a rework but were looking at the 6th title on the same platform. Copy Paste coding at its finest.

I think its due to lack of competition in the space forza is in. with no competition there isnt much need to change the recipe for the better. Maybe we can hope for a Gran Turismo title in the future on PC.

The actual game looks decent. It looks like the career structure is more like FM4, which I like. Couldn't tell what the cars sounded like because they wouldn't stop talking over the game, but sound has always been a criticism of these game. They finally have a simulated tachometer that is easier to read, but it's still not as good as Horizon 4. The tuning menus were still not shown.

Turn10 doing collabs to appeal to their target audience. :ROFLMAO:
1686681921801.png

Not a fan of putting upgrades behind a XP wall. Should be more like FM4 where upgrades got cheaper for that make the higher the car level was.
1686682611027.png

Also seems that upgrades are purchased with car points and not credits anymore. So whats the point of credits in this game? What the hell are they thinking?!
1686682799114.png

View attachment 576514

Not a fan of putting upgrades behind a XP wall. Should be more like FM4 where upgrades got cheaper for that make the higher the car level was.
View attachment 576515

Also seems that upgrades are purchased with car points and not credits anymore. So whats the point of credits in this game? What the hell are they thinking?!
View attachment 576516
I guess the idea is to encourage people to drive more cars? I honestly don't hate the idea, but it seems like they took the criticism of no meaningful progression in FM7 to the extreme and overcorrected. This kind of progression system doesn't feel natural.

I guess the idea is to encourage people to drive more cars? I honestly don't hate the idea, but it seems like they took the criticism of no meaningful progression in FM7 to the extreme and overcorrected. This kind of progression system doesn't feel natural.
When i beat the game and during playing the career i usually buy cars and mod them. Now you cant do that, you have to grind car points and car XP. Still unsure of why credits are still given. They havent yet mentioned their purpose.

When i beat the game and during playing the career i usually buy cars and mod them. Now you cant do that, you have to grind car points and car XP. Still unsure of why credits are still given. They havent yet mentioned their purpose.
Credits to buy cars, maybe? And "CP" for upgrades.

Mid-Ohio is one of the new real tracks in the game. I've been asking for it for years.

View attachment 576514

View attachment 576515

View attachment 576516
it's just a modified forza horizon system.. so instead of unlocking perks with CP's you buy mods.. it's a needless grind because that's all the rage right now. pretty much put the nail the coffin as far as me giving a crap about FM8.

i'm surprised more people don't get angry about how racing game trailers, using in-game footage, edit out the game audio and use clips of real cars for the engine sounds. that's dirty as hell and just as bad as "bullshots" imho.

A boring, flat oval. Turn 10 killed off several popular fantasy tracks for this. Their excuse being they were "not good for esports." Fuck "esports."

Road America looks like the exact same inaccurate model they have been using since FM4, just with slightly updated graphics.

I don't know why I keep watching this game. They pulled the "it's a whole new game built from the ground up" thing before and lying through their teeth yet again based on everything shown so far.

I don't know why I keep watching this game. They pulled the "it's a whole new game built from the ground up" thing before and lying through their teeth yet again based on everything shown so far.
I hear you on that! I still look through my peripherals at the game but definitely not giving them anything until after launch and i can see it in depth to confirm if they are a lie.

I welcome the speedway. Sometimes i like to try and go really fast and they are nice to have. Its not like its the main track. But when you really break it down its just 13 seconds of gameplay clips with a fancy 3d map that likely isnt part of the game its just part of the illustration of the track they are presenting.

yeah this isnt nascar...
but RA looks pretty close to me.
View attachment 589187
The track shape itself is fine when you look at the aerial view like this. The inaccuracies come in the surface, itself. Camber where there is none, elevation changes are completely wrong, and the carousel through the end of the lap is completely wrong. One of the most annoying facets of the track models, and this is an issue with a lot of their licensed tracks, is that the apex is a sharp point instead of following the curve through the turn. Road America, in particular, has this issue through many of its turns in Forza.

yeah i think it's safe to say that FM8 is going to be a huge dud, and will likely never recover from its launch reception even after months and months of implementing feedback. it's clear to me that Turn 10 really does not grasp the current standard that track-focused racing games/sims are at right now, and it's not the early 2000s when all the fun semi-realistic racing games took place on closed-off tracks or street circuits. this in-between shit isn't gonna fly anymore.

what they should really be doing (and this is ofc a gross oversimplification) is combining motorsport and horizon so you have a fun let-your-hair-down open world experience AND realistic tracks (if not actual, real tracks) that can be visited from the open world, and used to run more tightly balanced and organized multiplayer races. and drop the cringe bullshit from Horizon like lego and the completely vapid story/dialogue (not saying turn it into a dry, hardcore experience, but we all know that shit could be reduced by at least 80% and no one would miss it)

Last edited:
Live stream today.

They are going over Multiplayer.

so it sounds like essentially they are following the formula set out by GT Sport/GT7 (or more hardcore PC sims like iRacing, ACC, RaceRoom etc) and having scheduled events using specific classes or one-makes on specific tracks and conditions. they have a safety rating and skill rating a la the other games. events will have practice and qualifying before the race. ok, cool, they've done the bare minimum. what i did not hear is a single thing that sets FM apart from the competition. it obviously isn't realism since they aren't trying to be hardcore in that sense. graphics? i mean, so far it looks pretty good, nothing above and beyond any of the other popular titles. the sound seems to be yet another polish and tweak pass on their now very tired sound engine and samples, so i expect that'll be underwhelming. customization, car list, the "social" aspects all seem pretty much unchanged so that certainly isn't going to be what draws people in or forces their competitors to adapt.

i also see they are sticking with the strange paradigm of having the race cars be like "the #93 Monster Energy Toyota Gazoo Racing GR86" or whatever instead of the way every other game does it where you're just getting a generic "GT3 GR86" that you then use a simple template-based paint booth to make it your own or the full-blown editor for fancier liveries. this translates to a pet peeve of the FM series for me which is that everybody is gonna be driving that red and purple #93 Monster Energy Toyota Gazoo Racing GR86 on the track which just looks so fucking stupid and game-y. i know it's not hard to at least allow everyone to choose one of the user-created liveries before a race but i guess that's just too much for the FM team to handle.

i swear i'm not going to dump on FM over and over but i gotta say the writing is on the wall. they are gonna be either shuttering the Motorsport brand in the future if they don't bring in new talent and basically start from scratch, or putting all their eggs in the Horizon basket.

Last edited:
Forza doesn't really have any competition on PC. Horizon and NFS don't even attempt realism, and the sims like iRacing don't have street cars. The original AC does, but it's ten years old. FM7 had it's issues, but it wasn't a bad game. I expect more of the same from FM8, and not much else.

A Horizon game with real physics and some dedicated tracks would be great, but it probably wouldn't sell. Horizon does so well partially because it's easy for people who don't play racing games to get into. A simplified Horizon and a somewhat bland FM is better than neither.

Forza doesn't really have any competition on PC. Horizon and NFS don't even attempt realism, and the sims like iRacing don't have street cars. The original AC does, but it's ten years old. FM7 had it's issues, but it wasn't a bad game. I expect more of the same from FM8, and not much else.

A Horizon game with real physics and some dedicated tracks would be great, but it probably wouldn't sell. Horizon does so well partially because it's easy for people who don't play racing games to get into. A simplified Horizon and a somewhat bland FM is better than neither.
i maintain that there is massive potential in something that bridges that gap and offers realism combined with fun open world shenanigans. i'm so sick of "realism must be contained to race tracks; open world must be limited to arcade style gameplay". there is absolutely no fucking reason for this rigid paradigm to exist.

btw, Horizon feels better than most people would give it credit for. it's easy to assume that it's like NFS-level arcadey because every piece of media has Ariel Atoms flying over steam trains or Pagani Huayras flying at cruise altitude

Forza Motorsport will have crossplay (Windows Store/Steam and Xbox) and support DLSS 2 and FSR 2.2 on PC

Forza Motorsport on PC supports native resolutions up to 4K and beyond, including ultrawide resolutions during on-track gameplay, HDR calibration, shader pre-compilation and pre-caching, DirectStorage for improved CPU loading, unlocked single-player framerates with or without V-Sync enabled, and more

the local and world-famous Nürburgring GP circuit will be available in Forza Motorsport at launch on October 10th...what’s more, as part of our plan to regularly bring new content to the game after release, we are also happy to confirm the iconic 12.9-mile (20.83 km) Nordschleife will be coming in Spring 2024...both tracks have been completely rebuilt for the Xbox Series X|S and PC....

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2023/08/22/forza-motorsport-gamescom-pc-preorder/

Forza Motorsport will have crossplay (Windows Store/Steam and Xbox) and support DLSS 2 and FSR 2.2 on PC

Forza Motorsport on PC supports native resolutions up to 4K and beyond, including ultrawide resolutions during on-track gameplay, HDR calibration, shader pre-compilation and pre-caching, DirectStorage for improved CPU loading, unlocked single-player framerates with or without V-Sync enabled, and more

the local and world-famous Nürburgring GP circuit will be available in Forza Motorsport at launch on October 10th...what’s more, as part of our plan to regularly bring new content to the game after release, we are also happy to confirm the iconic 12.9-mile (20.83 km) Nordschleife will be coming in Spring 2024...both tracks have been completely rebuilt for the Xbox Series X|S and PC....

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2023/08/22/forza-motorsport-gamescom-pc-preorder/
Hopefully that means they're rebuilding the track model. It's the only thing that would save the game for me, at this point. All Forza games released on PC have been universally crossplay, so I don't know why that is news.

https://forza.net/news/forza-motorsport-gamescom

Game is locked to 60 FPS in multiplayer races.

View attachment 593551

Not necessarily a bad thing to keep it a level playing field. Guessing due to crossplay.
That doesn't make any sense, though. The physics engine is decoupled from the rendering engine and runs at a fixed rate regardless of your framerate. Game updates over the network are also dependent on the tic rate. There is literally no advantage to locking the framerate to 60 for multiplayer. If there was, iRacing would have done it a long time ago.

That doesn't make any sense, though. The physics engine is decoupled from the rendering engine and runs at a fixed rate regardless of your framerate. Game updates over the network are also dependent on the tic rate. There is literally no advantage to locking the framerate to 60 for multiplayer. If there was, iRacing would have done it a long time ago.
It could be a input latency thing. But yea it doesn't make sense from a physics standpoint since it didn't seem to affect any other of the PC Forzatech games. I would much prefer no FPS cap.

It could be a input latency thing. But yea it doesn't make sense from a physics standpoint since it didn't seem to affect any other of the PC Forzatech games. I would much prefer no FPS cap.
At least to the hardcap of the 360 Hz the physics thread runs at. I don't know if the physics will be running at the same rate in this "new" engine.

Was a live stream today. More fluff and BS. Lots of reiterating at how its a ground up new game and how the made it more immersive with the new car mastery system and im having trouble seeing a difference in this and 7.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnbHwPnJKIw

Love how the fireball shoots out the top but the actual lighting is as if the engine catches on fire.
1694452841473.png

Why do the cars look washed out in the IGN preview video? I have a bad feeling about this game and I have been waiting for it for so long. Good thing I don't have to pay for it but if someone showed me that preview build I would've put it on try later bucket.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND813cWYJkE

So they had to rebuild all the tracks because of the tires?

"Rebuild" is probably too strong a word. They probably just added more variables to the surface that affect the updated tire model. I say this due to my prior comments about Road America (doesn't look different from FM7) and Mugello (looks quite a bit different from FM7). In prior games one of the tricks they played was adding more unrealistic bumpiness to the track surface to make it seem more realistic when it actually wasn't. They probably replaced tricks like that with more simulation, which would make sense given how the cars look like they're reacting more realistically as they move along a track.

Back