first time bunkering

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Hey, thought I'd try to bunker on my sig rig and the wifes rig for the last 2 projects of the pentathalon, got them added in BOINC, but LHC is sending me no tasks to munch on.

Wifes PC is getting LHC tasks now, worst case since Skillz said LHC may not really be worth it I'll run it on hers and not sweat it on mine

I'm not sure. We need the points, but we also need to focus on getting higher on Cosmology. If she's getting points on her system then let it run. Every little bit helps.

Mine is a 6800k @ 4.2, 16GB, and an R9 fury, wifes is an i5 3470, 16GB, and a 7970. Work is an I7 3770, 8GB and no dGPU, co-worker is an i3 of some sort with some ram and no dGPU.

So 15-22 hours for yoyo@home on a [email protected], 1 task per core.

I have to say I'm still blown away by the 7970, on Einstein it takes my fury+1 core 16 minutes or so per task, that 7970 is averaging 13 minutes hah.

My 970s average 16 minutes before I started doubling up on the tasks per GPU. I'm not 100% sure that's a benefit to me as it seems my points have actually done down since doing so. I haven't topped a 4.8M point day since the change.

Not sure if it's because my wingman is dropping the ball or if my production has actually done down due to the change.

Either way keep up the good work man! I am about to setup a rig on LHC myself just to give us a few more points on that side. Seems Cosmology is gaining heavily on the next place.

Should have 20 or so LHC to upload tomorrow when sprint starts, and a shitload of Einstein, I know it wont make a huge difference like you guys with the awesome farms, but hopefully we will see a little jump. My 2 PCs at work are not bunkered, and have just been munching on Cosmology from the get go

I think I've got around 32 queued up that'll be ready in about 4 or 5 hours.

Every little bit helps man. All of it.

My 970s average 16 minutes before I started doubling up on the tasks per GPU. I'm not 100% sure that's a benefit to me as it seems my points have actually done down since doing so. I haven't topped a 4.8M point day since the change.

Not sure if it's because my wingman is dropping the ball or if my production has actually done down due to the change.

I can't be sure but doubling up seems to have benefited my output. The issue you are seeing is most likely wingman related.

I could just be being cynical but I think some teams may have developed a strategy of grabbing much more than they will ever need and then dumping them after the challenge is over. This would damage them as well but less so than others if they are the only ones doing it.

Nah, surely not.

Yeah we are pretty sure that's what's going on. My pending tasks are going through the roof. I'm over 70 pages now.

Just uploaded mine, about 10 pages of einstein from the wifes, and 2 pages of einstein and a page of yolo from mine

Nice, I think we have one other member who is running yolo right now also. Stay on E@H until it ends though.

If you can't get LHC, then grab YOYO. We only need to run YOYO for a couple days. LHC we should run it until we are close to losing position on Cosmology.

Yes I know.

Focus on YOYO if you can once your LHC units complete.

Skillz, he is in the PM Conversation where you posted it already. He just hasn't said anything in that conversation.

you got it, gonna suspend cosmology because.... damn fastgeek

I'm just lucky enough to have access to a lot of idle hardware. My stock comes and goes depending on projects / support issues I need to deal with; but at the moment I have a fair amount of toys to play with. Wish I hadn't been so swamped at work lately; else I'd been on board a lot sooner. If wishes were fishes and all that. ;)

How is that much hardware laying around tho? Figure if companies spend alot of money to buy and install hardware they'd have a dedicated use for it.

I'm a product design engineer and they're effectively "my" systems. I have at least one of every server we use; which in turn can be used for development work, escalation support, temporary fill in for broken systems, etc. It would be a different story if I worked in the datacenter / IT group; but I don't. Those guys wish they had the hardware I do though!

But with Engineer in your title, don't you get paid more then those guys as well? lol

Not quite sure what you're asking?

I'm an "engineer" in title only. When it comes up, I always make that clear; don't want to sully actual ME/EE's... although just because someone is a ME/EE doesn't mean they truly know WTF is going on. ;)

With the title comes more privileges.

So I've had a few run-ins with MEs before, one chick was straight out of school. I had to tell her she didnt know WTF she was talking about and I know what the CNC will run and what it wont run.

600 inches per minute on tool steel in a penny pinching company that doesn't like to change tooling. I laughed at her in her face until break time. lol

I'm just lucky enough to have access to a lot of idle hardware. My stock comes and goes depending on projects / support issues I need to deal with; but at the moment I have a fair amount of toys to play with. Wish I hadn't been so swamped at work lately; else I'd been on board a lot sooner. If wishes were fishes and all that. ;)

Well if you need any of that hardware... uh.. field tested ;) let me know

Keep pushing guys. LHC keeps running low on work and I have a feeling bunkering is behind part of it. Make sure if you have fully switched to LHC, that you have your resource share set to 0 on Cosmology and still have the client set to call for work on Cosmology. This will basically tell the client to only pull work from Cosmo if no other work is available.

Back