first shots

The 7.jpg pic is good... Except you need to turn off that light in the background (you can see it in the glass) as it takes away from the rest of the picture.

The others look like...well...pictures. Nice and clear except for the bird (wait...lemme guess this one...he was flinging sh$t at you and you snapped the shot while dodging which resulted in the out of focus result... ok...so I was reaching for straws there...)

btw...is that a house plant I see "floating" in the first pic with the Angel fish???? What plants do you have in your tank? They look good.

yeh, thsi is the first camera ive ever had that wasnt point and shoot, I read the forums a lot and the a80 seemed like the best learnign camera I could find. Like I said, its been really cold so finding somethign outside to shoot was out of the question.

the plants in the fish tank are varigated pathos, the fish love em and they look great.

The aquarium pics aren't bad for what you can do with a P&S. To do good underwater pics, however, the room should be as dark as possible (do it at night if you can), and the aquarium lights should be bright (some pros use slave flash units mounted on top of the aquarium - of course with no flash units in front of the tank to minimize glare). Of course, the other solution - putting some high wattage MH or CF lamps on top of your aquarium just for the photo - will only scare the fishes, and they will hardly look good for a photo (dull colors, frantic behavior, other signs of stress), or they will run for cover and disappear completely if they can. Saltwater or freshwater planted aquariums, where the fish are used to ultra-powerful lighting, are the best to photograph IMHO.

Unfortunately, all of my aquarium shots are from back when I had a P&S film camera, so none of mine are any better. Practice, and experiment with the manual settings on your camera, and remember to turn off the lights and don't use flash if possible, to minimize reflections.

Well set up some pics. Grunt did looklike he liked to be photographed. As has been said, just shoot and, practice. Also take notes on what you do, the settings if you go manual or, use presets. That way as, you learn you know, what has good effects and, bad. Just keep shooting. I love digitals for that.

Back