Final Fantasy XVI

Meh. Have zero desire to pick this game up again.
I just don't understand why Square went the direction they did with Final Fantasy. I'm currently making my way through Rebirth, and just struggling. It's gone from a JRPG to an Assassin's Creed clone with focus on bad minigames.

I just don't understand why Square went the direction they did with Final Fantasy. I'm currently making my way through Rebirth, and just struggling. It's gone from a JRPG to an Assassin's Creed clone with focus on bad minigames.
I am mad at myself that I keep buying their crap. Rebirth was a struggle for me also. I stopped playing it when I got to Cosmo Canyon.

They think that the old JRPG style of game isn't popular anymore, which is why they've been making it more action-orientated in the past decade. FF16 is just the culmination of that direction.

I picked this up on a whim the other day when I saw it on sale. I really don't know why I did considering I haven't enjoyed a Final Fantasy game since X. I've generally hated everything they've tried to do with the combat, either making everything over complex or just kind of boring... In most cases a bit of both. As much as I want a classic turn-based JRPG with modern, state of the art graphics, I know the odds of me getting it are very slim. Any way,all that being said, I'm enjoying the hell out of this game.

I don't know if it's because it so badly wants to be Game of Thrones (but just can't seem to pull it off) or the extremely fast paced nature of it combined with the beautiful lands scapes to explore but what ever itch I had this game is scratching it.

I'm just hoping it holds my attention and stays fun all the way through.

I picked this up on a whim the other day when I saw it on sale. I really don't know why I did considering I haven't enjoyed a Final Fantasy game since X. I've generally hated everything they've tried to do with the combat, either making everything over complex or just kind of boring... In most cases a bit of both. As much as I want a classic turn-based JRPG with modern, state of the art graphics, I know the odds of me getting it are very slim. Any way,all that being said, I'm enjoying the hell out of this game.

I don't know if it's because it so badly wants to be Game of Thrones (but just can't seem to pull it off) or the extremely fast paced nature of it combined with the beautiful lands scapes to explore but what ever itch I had this game is scratching it.

The graphics aren't exactly state of the art, but Persona 5 and the recent remake of Persona 3 are style incarnate, if you're looking for turn based JRPGs.

5 especially is spectacularly good

I really wish Square would swing this direction again for a game.

10 is a favorite of mine.

I really liked 12, A LOT. The gambit system was a ton of fun, especially as someone that deals with PLC's. Not to mention the size of the game. Original release of this game was way too difficult for me when it came out, I struggled. I went back and replayed Zodiac last year and had an absolute blast. I think I Platinum it iirc.

15 was fun, I loved the game and story. I never really wrapped my head around the combat and just used the same move the entire game. Beautiful world, loved all of the sights and sounds. The end game was a bit lacking though.

16 I preordered but I haven't done anything but install it. I'll get into it this winter probably after I beat 7Rb. I decided to replace the original 7, again, right before this dropped and I had somewhere around 300hrs before dropping final Seph.

7-Rm was fun and I enjoyed it twice. One on the PS5 and second on PC and Steam Deck.

7-Rb I haven't touched yet. Been a busy year, so it's sitting quietly on my PS5.

Want to play this but My biggest concern was the spongey enemies, even low level ones. Are you finding that to be the case?

10 is a favorite of mine.

I really liked 12, A LOT. The gambit system was a ton of fun, especially as someone that deals with PLC's. Not to mention the size of the game. Original release of this game was way too difficult for me when it came out, I struggled. I went back and replayed Zodiac last year and had an absolute blast. I think I Platinum it iirc.

15 was fun, I loved the game and story. I never really wrapped my head around the combat and just used the same move the entire game. Beautiful world, loved all of the sights and sounds. The end game was a bit lacking though.

16 I preordered but I haven't done anything but install it. I'll get into it this winter probably after I beat 7Rb. I decided to replace the original 7, again, right before this dropped and I had somewhere around 300hrs before dropping final Seph.

7-Rm was fun and I enjoyed it twice. One on the PS5 and second on PC and Steam Deck.

7-Rb I haven't touched yet. Been a busy year, so it's sitting quietly on my PS5.
XII Zodiac Age allows you to take two job license boards and includes the expanded gambit system from International Zodiac Job System, which is what makes the game extremely easy. The original release had that universal license board that could screw you over if you spread out the Espers and Quickenings poorly among your party by the end of the game, and the limited gambit system meant needing to still babysit your other party members. The original International Zodiac Job System version of the game only allowed one job license board per character. That made it harder yet more strategic than the original game, but the expanded gambit system made it manageable.

XII in all its iterations is among my favorites in the series. The IZJS version never released outside of Japan, and unlike X International it does not include English as an option. It's still worth a playthrough with the translation patch despite having the Zodiac Age available.

I'll give XVI a try on either console or PC when it goes on sale for a good price.

Want to play this but My biggest concern was the spongey enemies, even low level ones. Are you finding that to be the case?
That was one of my biggest annoyances of the others so I just put it on "story" mode and most monsters go down pretty quick. So far the battles haven't become obnoxious or tedious. The only long battles are the huge cinematic ones that are designed that way so they don't feel like a slog.

I'm also enjoying the story a lot more than I thought I would. It's still very "Japanese video game" but the presentation and dialog doesn't annoy me like most Japanese games.

Okay, I'm about halfway through and I think this may be my second favorite Final Fantasy after X. I haven't been hooked on a game like this in ages. I really hope we see more FF games like this in the future.

Okay, I'm about halfway through and I think this may be my second favorite Final Fantasy after X. I haven't been hooked on a game like this in ages. I really hope we see more FF games like this in the future.
Seems possible. Square recently said that 16 attracted a "younger" age group, and they seemed very happy about that.

I'm guessing they mean late teens/early twenties.

Seems possible. Square recently said that 16 attracted a "younger" age group, and they seemed very happy about that.

I'm guessing they mean late teens/early twenties.
That actually surprises me. I figured that age group would prefer the more anime centric fantasy RPGs, not the violent, gritty euro fantasy ones. That being said the pacing in this game is phenomenal for a 80+ hour JRPG, keeping the core story in the light at all times so it's super easy to follow while giving the player some great in game tools/resources to do a serious deep dive if they want to.

That actually surprises me. I figured that age group would prefer the more anime centric fantasy RPGs, not the violent, gritty euro fantasy ones. That being said the pacing in this game is phenomenal for a 80+ hour JRPG, keeping the core story in the light at all times so it's super easy to follow while giving the player some great in game tools/resources to do a serious deep dive if they want to.
Millennials are by far the largest group of anime consumers. It makes sense because the explosion of its popularity happened in the early-mid 1990s thanks to an increase of imports that aired on network television. You have to basically seek it out yourself these days since the plurality of new anime content is only being released to streaming services, decreasing its discoverability.

Millennials are 28-44 years old. Gen Z are 12-28.

1715284972391.png

That sounds good if true. Most long games loose focus, so if this can maintain story momentum that would be good.

Back