files gone, but directory structure intact

gerbiaNem

2[H]4U
- A computer at work had its files disappear from the user's main working directory.
- The directory structure remained intact.
- GetDataBack showed the files as still there AND not deleted
- All files successfuly recovered and uncorrupted
- Win 7 x64 with real-time AV/Mal-ware

It's been racking my head.. what could cause something like this to happen? The only thing I can think of is maybe a virtual directory listed all files from that one folder, and somehow those files were somehow erased. I really don't have a clue on this one.

Thanks for any input in advance.

Are you sure the files are not hidden or system or something else that prevents normal view when the user does not have show hidden and os files enabled.

Are you sure the files are not hidden or system or something else that prevents normal view when the user does not have show hidden and os files enabled.

the gf has had some malware which did exactly this. Pain in the arse to remove but at least it didn't mess with the data. From what I remember it hid all of the files and then put in fake .exe files of the same name and icon to replace them or something like that.

The files are not hidden, nor system files. The machine shows hidden and system hidden files. They were stored locally, on the main OS drive C. GetDataBack showed the files as not deleted, and recovered them successfully. He did have one malware infected file in an old backup file which had been floating around for probably a decade from an old user's backup.

I just doesn't make any sense.

Back