Favorite glossy monitor?

Volume

2[H]4U
After trying out an IPS monitor, the Asus PB238Q, and putting it next to my HP w2207 (see my thread about it here), I've decided that no matte monitor out there will ever match the color quality of a glossy screen. I suppose I am willing to live with the occasional glare for that feature.

So, now I want to ask what you guys would consider a good glossy display to be. I am looking for:

• a minimum resolution of 1080
  • a maximum size of 27in
  • height-adjustable base is a big plus, but not a deal breaker.
  • max cost of about $350

The current line-up of HP's monitors doesn't look too interesting unless you can point out a specific one.

Honestly, I think I'm done with IPS and its crappy "glow" as I would like to be able to enjoy movies and games with dark scenes (at least without spending a huge sum of money).

same here.... want do upgrade from my w2207h!

I'm on a big dilemma between a Samsung S27C750P A-MVA+ panel (semi-glossy) and a HP 27xi AH-IPS panel (glossy)

I'd go with either the S27C750P or Dell S2440L if you really want glossy and decent blacks. Personally glossy desktop screens require too strict lighting conditions. In essence you can't have anything in front of them that reflects light, otherwise it'll show up on the monitor clear as day. That kind of defeats the benefits of extra vibrancy compared to matte.

S2440L (and S2740L) have the even more reflective edge-to-edge glass though. I don't think the smaller models have that. I haven't seen one personally, but they say blacks go grey from the glass

I use a semi-glossy A-MVA monitor. I can notice the coating compared to true glossy, but it's negligible compared to AG, and even less noticeable due to the panel's high contrast and lack of glow.

I'd be looking at the S27C750P if I was upgrading my monitor for movies and games.

Back