Fantastic physics demos - nvidia apex

jebo_4jc

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2011
Done with physx and the Apex tools.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JtAdTon0JA"]‪PhysX APEX Destruction Test Level‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grIVUDH4FIM&NR=1"]‪APEX Destruction Demo‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

I would gladly jump on board the nvidia/physx train in order to play a game like that.

The first one is meh but that second one.... I feel like I am looking at the future.... :eek:

From rendering solid block objects (a wall), to rendering everything in between (wall, wood, insulation, nails, dust) then applying physics to all those little pieces. beautiful

Ok. Now *that* actually looks pretty cool. I don't think that could be done on CPU alone.

Already done by Red Faction which did a better job on top.

No, just no. You might think that because it looks prettier to you, but these demos, most especially the second one, has much, much more going on than in RF. Maybe when it get's a nice coat of paint, you'll be able to see the difference.

There's no game that has come out that comes close to the 2nd video

As I am understanding it Nvidia has 'crippled' the CPU so it can not. All of these core and threade in a CPU remain unused because of the Ageia based code Nvidia has put into games. This info is all over the net from reputable organizations. AMD and Intel probably do not want that legal battle that would ensue.

In many different arenas we do NOT get the best technology because of restrictive patents, not just this physx thing.

That might be true, but that doesn't mean a CPUs could handle that demo

Why not? Where is the proof? If gaming companies were writing for multiple cores the CPU probably could. We have 6 core CPU's and 8 Core cpu almost here. What company is writing for them. If they get $$$ from Nvidia they write for Physx instead; It is not an even playing field them. Which would you do? do what you are getting paid for upfront OR write for multiple core when you are not getting paid for it. PS3 has multiple cores and it is more difficult to write for than Xbox thus you have more Xbox games and they can be written quicker.

I see Nvidia as more of a marketing company while AMD is a technology company. Nvidia is using more different smaller technology item to market its product like Physx and S3D(inhouse) while AMD is creating CPU's, GPU's on a higher technological raw power curve. No, I am NOT saying Nvidia has no competitive technology I am talking about the way they are going about marketing their technology(s) overall.

I understand the power of a GPU VS CPU and how the GPU is really designed narrowly for what it does. Meanwhile the CPU is a jack of all trades. Hence the fusion of the 2 to attempt to get the best of both worlds. I think there will come a time in the near future when it becomes just as easy to write for multiple CPU cores for the physics of a game rather than use the PHYSX SDK. At that time PHYSX will be come as popular as the AGEIA add on cards are now.

Back