Facebook is Not Cool Any More

the only way facebook will last is if it replaces youtube.

facebook can no longer stick to what it originally was- a myspace clone timewaster.

Is there really not a counter-app yet? That's all it takes; save the image before it disappears. I have difficulty getting this through non-techies' heads, the idea that once something reaches your computer, storing it permanently is always a technical possibility.

Holding power and volume down buttons ought to do it?

Screenshot_20180212-171126.png

Myspace was cool than came facebook it started out mostly for business I believe. Then Facebook was cool now linkedIn is for business. Now LinkedIn is trying to be cool and less for business...

Why the obsession with what kids are doing? They don't have money to spend on crap all nothing that is advertised. Oh right, it's just about views and audience, not translation to sales. lol.

Kids happen to grow up. They also show a trend. Why do you think so much gets invested into securing brands in the minds of children?

That being said, I don't really use Facebook or many of those social media sites. LinkedIn, but only occasionally.

Have an FB account. Ostensibly, it was to keep in touch with friends after City of Heroes closed.

But FB is such a seething mass of stupid (users and the platform itself) that I'm in the process of deleting all my activity since the account was started in 2012. Because fuck them.

I like Facebook purely for communication. My band maintains a page, as well as a long-running group chat. There is also a private group where those of us who freelance for a particular company discuss work-related issues. Then there is the occasional message to family and friends. The events functionality is useful as well for keeping track of goings-on around my area.

All the other crap I ignore. In Chrome I'm running Stylebot and I use a lot of custom CSS on FB to hide and redesign elements, keeping things as clean and lean as possible.

For all that however, the world would be better off without Facebook. VK.com—the Russian version of Facebook—is a vastly superior social media platform, though it has even greater privacy concerns than does FB, but that has more to do with the Russian government than the platform itself, which has far more robust and user-friendly privacy settings.

Believe it or not, kids are MORE susceptible to ads, and lifelong habits are installed at a young age.

They may not have very much money, but they are more likely to spend the money they DO have on whatever trendy useless trinket or app of the day is being marketed to them than adults are, athat and getting the exposed to brands at a young age, they carry that exposure with them for life.

So in truth, tweens, teens and young adults are the absolutely most valuable group of all to marketers. Us older folks ar emore likely to see right through what they are doing and not care.

Nickel and dime crap I guess. :) Not like they're buying cars or insurance.

Kids happen to grow up. They also show a trend. Why do you think so much gets invested into securing brands in the minds of children?

That being said, I don't really use Facebook or many of those social media sites. LinkedIn, but only occasionally.

But right now they can't buy anything substantial, and when they can when they're older it's all changed anyway, so what they were advertised "back in the day", means nothing when they grow up. I don't buy that very much as even if they were in the business of brainwashing instead of making sales today, the washed wouldn't even know the brand in the future as they change it up, packaging, the product itself, so much it's not recognisable to them.

Why the obsession with what kids are doing? They don't have money to spend on crap all nothing that is advertised. Oh right, it's just about views and audience, not translation to sales. lol.
Marketers have never been able to crack the "millenial" mindset, so they are all running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying create the big thing that will make them billions of dollars.

https://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Millennials-really-hate-advertising-study-finds-7393642.php
http://adage.com/article/news/millennials/310152/

I knew if I waited long enough, I'd be justified in never having created a Facebook account.

Kidding. Seriously though, I never saw the appeal. Stuff like Twitter where I get to (theoretically) grab a bullhorn and jump up on a soapbox make sense to me. Posting pictures of my cat or the crap I just bought never did.

Well, originally it used to be a place to organize groups, schedule events, and just keep up with what people are doing. Plus, it (and myspace) came before twitter and instagram. I had my account before they opened it up outside universities and back then it was useful.

I deleted my account 2 years ago after about 5 years of complete inactivity.

It's no surprise to me, who wants to go to the most boring blog ever where your "friends" just repost lame stuff from radio stations and vomit political crap all day. While having ads shoved in everywhere they can be.

How do they prevent screenshots?
They don't - which again is deceiving because some kids post stuff there while thinking it won't stay there. Until someone grabs a screenshot and shares it.

The social media has brought so many unhealthy developments in kids lives that it should be banned by the public health administration. Really.

But right now they can't buy anything substantial, and when they can when they're older it's all changed anyway, so what they were advertised "back in the day", means nothing when they grow up. I don't buy that very much as even if they were in the business of brainwashing instead of making sales today, the washed wouldn't even know the brand in the future as they change it up, packaging, the product itself, so much it's not recognisable to them.

It's not about the products that are around during the time, it's about establishing the brands' reputation in their minds for a certain type of product. Do the people that take their kids to McDonalds now take them there because they think it's good food, or because they know they enjoyed it as kids? Many logos have textual information that makes it so the symbol behind it is irrelevant. The state of the current logo is to secure future customers. The text behind the logo is to secure past ones. Not to mention, many products do not change significantly with time... Whirlpool still sells washing machines, and Ford has been selling cars for ages. If Ford can successfully sell their car to a current family member, a future one is that much more likely to also get one. To say children are irrelevant because they have no buying power at the moment is horribly short sighted.

As far as Facebook, no one had to pay anything to use it anyway. They weren't getting money directly. They were using the data on the consumers as the product. Which means for them, any trend which shows that their popularity is declining among younger consumers essentially means they might be the next Myspace, soon enough. Which is horrifying (for them; I could not care less).

Believe it or not, kids are MORE susceptible to ads, and lifelong habits are installed at a young age.

They may not have very much money, but they are more likely to spend the money they DO have on whatever trendy useless trinket or app of the day is being marketed to them than adults are, athat and getting the exposed to brands at a young age, they carry that exposure with them for life.

So in truth, tweens, teens and young adults are the absolutely most valuable group of all to marketers. Us older folks ar emore likely to see right through what they are doing and not care.

This is true. It has always been true more or less - there has been lots of ad revenue spent particularly on getting tween/teen/sub-25's, especially females, to buy/consume/believe whatever is pushed for a variety of reasons (speaking from a post-WWII, USA perspective). Its also noteworthy that these demographics are particularly focused around group dynamics and especially value attributed to ownership of products. Sure, that teenage girl may not have a lot of money on her own, but if "EVERYONE Has Jordache jeans / a Prada bag / an iPhone! If I don't get one, I'll be the laughing stock of the class and not invited to Casey Miller's party because they'll think I'm a loser" means that her well-meaning parents will (if they are financially able to ) give her the money to buy those items, so billions are pushed into making certain items cool.

What's worse is that while this has always been an issue (and not exclusively limited to girls, or the young etc..) that today's change with monetization of ideas more or less - "likes/friends/upvotes" and the way the Internet advertising/spying/monetization systems work, that young people today are more vulnerable than ever before, with more people trying to take advantage of them in tons of new ways, with more power than ever before.

This site skews older than most others I think so its noteworthy that many of us knew of the "old, pre-web 2.0" Internet in the 80s, especially the 90s, and circa-2000. Back then, the Internet was seen as a separate place to visit, connected to but not a "part" of meatspace life. Anonymity and privacy were prized and parents told their kids not to reveal their real identity and be careful who they were talking with etc. Today, especially with Facebook, there's no difference - the Internet is simply an extension of "meatspace" with the same identity in many cases, which brings the worst of both worlds it seems.

Well, originally it used to be a place to organize groups, schedule events, and just keep up with what people are doing. Plus, it (and myspace) came before twitter and instagram. I had my account before they opened it up outside universities and back then it was useful.

I deleted my account 2 years ago after about 5 years of complete inactivity.

Yeah I often post for effect. Obviously Facebook has its uses. I just find the most common ones mystifying. I'll never get bored enough for that crap. E.g., last night I was reading about space travel, possible means of propulsion for interstellar travel, the complications of rotation as a means of artificial gravity, ITER (what a clusterfuck), SpaceX Falcon Heavy's recent success, SpaceX BFR (Big Fucking Rocket, lol), etc. There will never be an end to the stuff more interesting than putting up pics of my garden or whatever, not in my lifetime anyway.

Plus I wouldn't last five minutes on Facebook. My politics are the antimatter to Fuckerberg's matter, and I generally find it impossible to STFU about politics (to me it's tantamount to STFU-ing about the super-massive asteroid on a collision course with Earth).

Facebook is nothing but a source of stupidity, aggravation and dare I say it racism.....

I generally find it impossible to STFU about politics (to me it's tantamount to STFU-ing about the super-massive asteroid on a collision course with Earth).

Going completely off topic here...your ability to change someone's mind on politics is roughly the same as current ability to stop a very large asteroid in the next 30 days-nil

Myself I'm centrist leaning right, but I have alot of people who I'm friends with that I don't particularly agree with their politics, but I still can be friends with them besides that.

Thats part of the problem with Social media-it gives everyone a bullhorn, right or wrong, to express their ideals and when they get push back from someone who doesn't agree with it, they break out Ad hominem attacks.

Back