Extra low budget build for basic web browsing.

455olds

Gawd
First off I want to build this cheap, don't mind used parts for this.
I have a old Compaq 5400us I want to fix for a friend. This is computer. http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-Presario-5400US-Desktop-1-2-GHz/dp/B00005UT2Q/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I also pulled the trigger on this. Seamed too good to pass up for the money. $66.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/281419619853
Intel DG41TY Motherboard With Intel E5300 Dual Core Processor, 2gb Kingston KVR800 RAM, Windows 7 PRO COA/Licensing key code, and IO Shield
If this does not seam good or like it wont work I think I can cancel. Not sure if i overlooked something. I already have a windows 7 disc with no key.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
web browsing and basic general family use. No gaming

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Would like to get out of this cheap as possible. I don't really have a budget but ill say around roughly $120 total(-$66 spent above) So about $60 left in budget. if I can do it that cheap.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
USA Massachusetts

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
DVD drive,hard drive and not sure what i may have overlooked. (Motherboard,ram,operating system I ordered above)

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I am actually considering using the factory 250 watt that came with system.

6) Will you be overclocking? no

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it? 18" monitor and not sure of resolution.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? In next two weeks roughly.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc. Just want it to work with existing case/system.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? I have windows 7 64 bit dvd with no key.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't see why that wouldn't work. IIRC, you can replace the internals in that case (I had a similar one with an Athlon XP in it, but I don't remember exactly what was able to be swapped into the case). That's not a terrible bang for the buck buy on that motherboard combo with Win7 key. I think it should all work together if you don't mind playing with the pins for the front panel connectors.

I only have a install disc for windows 7 home premium and the key is for windows 7 pro. Will this work? Should I order this or try to make my own disc? http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOTAL-Re-IN...perating_Systems_Software&hash=item2a43b2fb95

So this is my parts list. I haven't ordered the cooler, dvd drive or hard drive yet. This look ok?

$66.00 motherboard, ram,cpu and os

$16.99 Samsung TS-H653 16x DVD±RW DL SATA Burner http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DQYIZG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1RX6T0VJ3MJTX

$23.99 WD Blue 160 GB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, PATA, 8 MB Cache - WD1600AAJB http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seagate-ST3...Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives&hash=item27cf4c9e57

$11.30 Cooler Master X Dream 4 - CPU Cooler with Aluminum Extrusion Fins http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00103KTU2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2EUTVCJXLAJ4K

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
455olds,

It does not make any sense at all whatsoever to go with a PATA hard drive with an SATA optical drive. In addition, $23 is way too much money for an old, outdated design PATA hard drive with a very small capacity and very slow sequential speed performance by today's standards, especially since you can purchase a brand new 1TB SATA hard drive with far greater sequential speed performance for about $55 these days.

And that's not to mention that the G41 motherboard may not support booting from any PATA devices at all.

Last edited:
I think you're going too cheap on this build. I'm particularly concerned about your desire to reuse an old Compaq case and an old, inefficient 250W PSU.

Can you afford one of the following NewEgg combo deals?

$211 - AMD system bundle
  • AMD A4-6300 dual-core processor
  • MSI A55M-E33 micro ATX case
  • G.Skill Value 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
  • WD Blue 1TB HDD
  • Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD burner
  • LOGISYS CS301BK ATX mid-tower case with 480W power supply
$228 - Intel system bundle
  • Intel Pentium G3220 dual-core processor
  • Asus H81M-K micro ATX case
  • Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
  • WD Blue 1TB HDD
  • LG GH24NSB0B DVD burner
  • LOGISYS CS301BK ATX mid-tower case with 480W power supply
I don't really trust most power supplies that come with cases these days, but I trust hte Logisys PSU a lot more than I trust that old Compaq PSU. If nothing else, the Logisys PSU hasn't been used in several years.

@ E4g1e good catch on the hdd ,thanks. I might try this one for $20.00 Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3120026AS 120GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -OEM w/ 1 Year Warranty
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5AD1ZM3039
I don't mind spending a little more if someone can recommend a a good hdd. Especially if it might make it boot faster.

@ tiraides I usually like to go with your advice but this time I really don't want to spend that much. Ill be into this rig for over $300 by the time I am done. I can go a little extra and get a better power supply Though. Should I go for this one. Under $30 shipped CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORSAIR-CX-...-/380973187344?pt=PCA_UPS&hash=item58b3c58110

Any opinion on this windows 7 pro install dvd? http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOTAL-Re-IN...perating_Systems_Software&hash=item2a43b2fb95

Go with the refurbished CX430 since you're getting it from NewEgg. IIRC, NewEgg's return policy is the same whether you buy the item from its site or eBay.

Don't get the DVD from eBay. What you need is a license key. Check the FS/FT forum here to see if someone is selling Windows 7 licenses for cheap.

The $20 Seagate Barracuda drive is better than what you're considering before.

Man, I wish I paid attention to this thread when you first posted it. One of those NewEgg combo deals could have saved you a lot of time and money.

Go with the refurbished CX430 since you're getting it from NewEgg. IIRC, NewEgg's return policy is the same whether you buy the item from its site or eBay.

Don't get the DVD from eBay. What you need is a license key. Check the FS/FT forum here to see if someone is selling Windows 7 licenses for cheap.

The $20 Seagate Barracuda drive is better than what you're considering before.

Man, I wish I paid attention to this thread when you first posted it. One of those NewEgg combo deals could have saved you a lot of time and money.

I got a windows 7 pro key with the used motherboard,ram,cpu,os combo I got off ebay. I just need a 7 windows pro install disc. I have a home premium disc but I don't think that will work with pro key.

I got a windows 7 pro key with the used motherboard,ram,cpu,os combo I got off ebay. I just need a 7 windows pro install disc. I have a home premium disc but I don't think that will work with pro key.

You can download an ISO for Windows 7 Pro (legally, I promise!) and burn it onto a CD or mount it onto a 4GB thumb drive (using Microsoft's own USB tool). Do you know whether or not the key is for SP1?

Last edited:
Thanks for links. I don't know what service pack it is,will that be a problem?

Going to order parts tonight when I get home.

I ordered everything. This is list of parts I bought.
$66.00 Intel DG41TY Motherboard,2gb Kingston KVR800 RAM,Windows 7 PRO
COA/Licensing key code, and E5300 Dual Core Processor.

$20.00 Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3120026AS 120GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -OEM w/ 1 Year Warranty

$27.00 CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE

$30.00 for Samsung TS-H653 16x DVD±RW DL SATA Burner and Cooler Master X Dream 4 - CPU Cooler with Aluminum Extrusion Fins (RR-LEE-L911-GP)

Total $143.00 including shipping.

I have it back together. Seems to be working ok. Installing updates now. I even hooked up the old floppy drive. Here are a few pics of it. First pic is with dust and old hardware.
I probably could have done a little better with cable management. Left the old stickers on it for the sleeper effect.

15313654106_095ac575ee.jpg
[/url]20140917_170829 by[/IMG]

15149973740_f1d6906528.jpg
[/url]20140923_181038 by 455olds, on Flickr[/IMG]

15336692635_87d9c63559.jpg
[/url]20140923_182141 by 455olds, on Flickr[/IMG]

15333520731_59fec150ac.jpg
[/url]20140923_182301 by 455olds, on Flickr[/IMG]

Back