eVGA 6800GT best cooler?

SkaarjMaster

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a friend that may want to mod his eVGA 6800GT 256MB PCIExpress video card. I suggested an Arctic Cooler (NV5 rev2) or a Zalman (VF700-Cu). I've heard the Arctic Coolers may not seat correctly on the CPU. What do you guys recommend? Thank you.

I used both models on my eVGA 6800gt. My NV5 rev 2 fit fine but I like the Zalman much better. It is quieter, you can adjust fan speeds, and it cools just as well as the NV5.
Also, the Zalman is much easier to keep clean. Dust will coat the inside of the clear plastic shroud on the NV5 after a few months and then it looks like shit. Impossible to clean out completely even with compressed air cans. If they had made the plastic a dark color, then it wouldn't have mattered.

I was thinking of recommending the NV5 to him if it fit the back plate of the case flush, but you do bring up another good point about the dust buildup inside the fan housing. It would be nice to expel the air outside the case, but I think he might be pushing enough air through a "slightly larger than mid-tower" case that the Zalman might be what he wants. Therefore,

To friend: get the Zalman!;)

Back