E6400 & P5n-e SLI OC Questions..

I have been an AMD guy for years but finally bit on the E6400 paired with the Asus P5E-SLI board, mostly based on the OC-ability I have heard about this board.

I have a Corsair XMS 6400 2gb kit, a seasonic 520w psu, a couple seagate 320 sata drives, a samsung 20x dvd sata drive and STOCK cooling. I had trouble mounting the stock intel cooler and got it wrong, hence my rig shutting down a few seconds after booting into windows after ANY OC attempt. After "fixing" the stock cooler I am currently able to boot into windows at 3ghz from 2.13ghz stock. I have not OCd the mem yet and I boosted the Vcore to 1.4. I am unable to monitor the temps because the asus monitoring utilities would not install. The NB heatsink gets warm to the touch but the processor HSF unit seems to be room temp! It doesn't seem normal that the stock cooler would not heat up. I am running FAH on both cores and it is running each core at 100%. So far the only noticable increase in temps is the NB heatsink. Are there other temp monitoring utilities I can install on this board?? In the bios I check the Hardware Monitor and the idle processor temps are 24c-26c and the mb temp is 18c-19c. Not sure if I am worried about nothing but being able to monitor temps seems important...

I took have accomplished the same thing. Even using the Intel Stock Cooler. Though I just picked up the famous Zalman 9500LED and that dropped my CPU temps by 40 degrees F. But under load, I would say about 20 degrees, that is substancia but didn't affect the OC.

This is my problem with overclocking the chip. I have a gigabyte 965g-dsl board.
If I get my machine in the 3ghz range, all the sata devices become unopertable. Furthermore it also seems not possible to do this since I replaced the onboard Intel X3000 graphics with a new PCI-E x16 7600GT. But get this. I am one of the few old schoolers who still run SCSI as my primary system drive. If I take the SATA drives off line. I can boot to 3ghz and run prime95 torture test all day. But now with the added hardware 2.5ghz is the max stable rate I can use. That I don't even need the software for. Sort of strange if you ask me but maybe it's the frequency of the pci-e bus? You know even though that Intel Cooler isn't famous for low temperatures, I did get 3ghz out of it. I gotta find this article about someone getting the upper side of 3ghz for each core. he lists his memory settings all sorts of jazz.

It should be noted that I have the top top top of the line Ram by specification. 4GB total on Windows XP x64 as x32 won't see 4 gigs. Got 2gb Kingston HyperX and a new brand I haven't heard good or bad about but so far rock solid and that's Patriot. 2gb of those so I have 4 1gb modules on my m/b. the memory is rated at PC-6400 with an incredible set of timings 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1 volts as recommended by Kingston.

Over 8 hours at 3.0ghz running F@H and no lockups. Running it at 3.2ghz to see how that level of OC works. Still no noticable buildup of heat as far as the stock HSF unit is concerned... Should I be concerned?? I have tried mbm5 but it doesn't seem to recognize the board. I was able to get it to display the cpu speed but no temps or fan speeds...

The sweetspot with the stock hsf unit seems to be in the 3.2ghz - 3.29ghz range. A little more tweaking and testing and I should find it. Upping the vcore past 1.4 seems to cause a LOT of instability, will not boot into windows more often than not. Anyone know of a decent NB cooler for these Asus boards:confused:

ByteDown[H]ard;1030883528 said:
The sweetspot with the stock hsf unit seems to be in the 3.2ghz - 3.29ghz range. A little more tweaking and testing and I should find it. Upping the vcore past 1.4 seems to cause a LOT of instability, will not boot into windows more often than not. Anyone know of a decent NB cooler for these Asus boards:confused:

I just added a little 40mm fan onto the stock heatsink and that seems to be able to keep it at it-just-burns-a-little rather then oh-my-god-my-hand-is-melting. But yeah, sounds like you aren't regretting that switch from AMD :D

Not regretting it until AMD comes out with something that can OC easily in the 3.2 or higher range. Emphasis on easily! and reasonable... :eek: :D

Give Coretemp a try for reading CPU temps. I don't think that you can read the NB temps.

Well. I should add this. I originally installed my memory incorrectly. I had dual channel HyperX from Kingston. 4-4-4-12 PC-6400. But get this. I put them next to each other like many people do and it ran in single channel mode. I could run prime95 8 hours straight @ 3.0ghz with the stock cooler and one Zalman internal case/card fan with fanmate.

Suddenly I realized my error as the a bios update wiped let me see my post screen and I saw "Memory running in Single Channel" so I immediately powered it down and saw in the manual the diagram for Dual mode and in front of my face was the color scheme. Duh!!! Anyhow, I can't clock over 2.5ghz anymore. I have also installed a chipset fan on top of the HUGE heatsink on the Gigabyte board I have. Finally for good measure, I bought the Zalman CPU Cooler 7500LED and it has brought the temperature at idle down to 62-68(F)

But then another strange cookie popped up. My case temperatere averages 100-105(F) where it was maybe 85-90(F) before. If anyone knows cases. I have a raidmax Scorpio case... All black with a big Blue Z in the front of the case (my nickname and last name starts with Z) anyhow, I dumped the stock P/S and replaced it with a Powork 600W Supply. It's only flaw is noise.

Anyhow, that is my experience. As for AMD overclocking. Let me say just one thing. My previous system before was a single processor Athlon 64 3500+ and had the world's worst motherboard ECS generic from Fry's, Mushkin Value Series Ram, and stock AMD heatsink & CPU Fan. I overclocked that puppy so much it was the equivlient of a 5000+
I could only imagine running low latency ram, a Zalman cooler, a brand name Motherboard.

I will note though that this generic socket 939 motherboard had one good thing. The NVIDIA Nforce4 chipset. That had to have been the kicker. I have found that VIA motherboards will not OC worth a ****. SIS is no exception, perhaps worse.

Just my two cents.

Later

CoreTemp seems to work. Is it normal to see as much as a 5c temp difference between cores or is that just an undocumented feature of CT??:D

I get up to a 5-6c difference on cores once in a while with coretemp, although that usually means I have to tighten down my waterblock at a certain bolt or two.

try everest ultimate edition, it shows temp for cpu, cpu cores, gpu, mobo, hdd.

Great deal for $90 for a CPU and Nvida Based M/B.

Curious what kind of success people have had with Overclocking on the 3800 X2, or some of the other lower X2's. Specs say the core clock speed is 2.0ghz X2 so I'm curious what people are actually getting out of it???

Great deal for $90 for a CPU and Nvida Based M/B.

Curious what kind of success people have had with Overclocking on the 3800 X2, or some of the other lower X2's. Specs say the core clock speed is 2.0ghz X2 so I'm curious what people are actually getting out of it???

WTF dude. Start your own thread when your question has nothing at all to do with the topic.

Then what was this post about? {I have been an AMD guy for years but finally bit on the E6400 paired with the Asus P5E-SLI board, mostly based on the OC-ability}

You don't think there is any relation to what the AMDs can do versus the Intels?
Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning dude? :eek:

Start your own threat and call it "I'm having a bad day, don't mind me"

^ I haven't played with the newer AMD chips, my experience ends with the XP3200 Barton...:p

I was wondering about another "feature" of CoreTemp. I noticed that under a load my temps are in the 40c-43c range but when at Idle the temps jump to 63c-65c range :confused: I looked over how CT derives its temps but not sure I understand it. Like its displaying the difference between the max for that core and the actual temp??

I think I'll spring for everest ultimate edition and see how that works...:D

I had this puppy running at 3.3ghz on stock cooling with vcore about 1.42 or 1.43, no mods to the memory and the LDT set to 4x. It ran for a bit but rebooted and corrupted the windows install.. Not sure how you guys with the 3.6-3.9 OCs are doing it. Have to keep pluggin & playin:cool:

With my P5n-e sli, Speedfan almost always reads what coretemp does, so you might see what speedfan reads for you.

After a major pain in the ass re-install of windows on this machine, after a nice OC corrupted it and who knows what else. I was able to install the asus probe II software and the temps are 23c-25c idle and after 15 min of orthos around 33c-35c. I finally had to install an ide HD and CDRom to get windows to install! and IT WAS SLOW! Like a heard of turtles charging uphill through molasses in the dead of winter slow. Did I mention it was slow?? It even boots slow with ide devices connected, like its taking extra time searching for sata devices:confused:
Not sure why I was unable to re-install. I tried 3 different sata drives and several different xp pro discs'. Swapped out memory thinking it had been damaged. The xp pro install always hung up at some point. Now I'll use acronis to copy the image from the ide drive to the sata drive and I'm back in business. With an image in case more corruption occurs with any future OC attempts..:D

Back