E5649 bargain -> VM server?

luckylinux

Limp Gawd
I just spotted a bargain on a local site for 4 x E5649 processors (1366 socket) at about 100$ each.
I was thinking of buying two of them for use in a vm server host (either proxmox VE or EsXi).

The only "issue" is that I'd have to buy everything else. A possible cost is therefore:
- Processor: 2 x Intel E5649 -> ~200$
- Motherboard: 1 x SUPERMICRO X8DTL-i -> ~300$
- RAM: 6 x KINGSTON ValueRAM KVR16R11D4/16HA (for instance) -> 96GB, ~900$
- CPU cooler: ?????
- Case: need to buy a new one, possible rack 2U or HTPC-like (Silverstone GD07 for instance) -> 160$ - 600$
- Power supply: ~100$-150$
- HDD: none (using network VM storage using NFS or Samba)
Total: ~1700$

Do you think it would be worth to buy this configuration considering it's a 4 years old configuration? I mean, CPU and mobo together are ~500$. The rest could be "recycled" on other builds (RAM prices aren't going down anytime soon).

Thank you for your insights :)

It might be if you need that much RAM and desire to build your server. The processors are good proc and still very useful even for today's loads. Some of the pricing is off I think. You might be able to get them for a combo price if you ask. A good 430W power supply can be had for $40, 500W for $50. The case will be an interesting thing as they are not standard ATX boards. I would think that standard 1366 coolers would work for you too given the right case.

It might be if you need that much RAM and desire to build your server. The processors are good proc and still very useful even for today's loads. Some of the pricing is off I think. You might be able to get them for a combo price if you ask. A good 430W power supply can be had for $40, 500W for $50. The case will be an interesting thing as they are not standard ATX boards. I would think that standard 1366 coolers would work for you too given the right case.
Thank you for your answer.

The sale is only for the CPU(s) unfortunately. The motherboard has to be bought brand new and is standard ATX AFAIK (is it not?, http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DTL-i.cfm). Is Supermicro always telling standard form factors when they are not?

I just saw that specific motherboard - although cheap and ATX - doesn't support IPMI. This makes me think twice about it ... IPMI boards are more like 500$ which is a real turn down :(

Back