Dying PSU ? Please confirm.....

Ok so I been having problems with my PC locking. Bad HDD and virus have been ruled out completly. Here is why I think it is my PSU. OK when I boot my PC and the BIOS does the HDD check it sounds like my fans slow down. When in windows the it seems to lock when I am running both HDD's at the same time. I unplugged my slave HDD and windows was noticably faster and smoother. So last time it crashed I couldn't get it to see my salve HDD. So unplugged my DVD and CD-RW drives and plugged in the salve HDD. Works fine now. Dying hdd huh ? So what PSU should I get ?

2 hdd's 7200 rpm
7 fans
2 disc drives
ati 9700 pro
fan bay bus
matrix lcd screen

lots of gaming and heavy usage. suggestions comments ?

How long have you been having this problem? Did it just start recently? Have you double checked the jumper settings? Why dont you just set both HDD's to cable select instead of setting one to master and one to slave. Maybe you have a configuartion problem somewhere. Your not trying to plug up too much hardware on one cable strand are you?

400w is MORE then enough to run that system. There is always the chance the PSU could be failing but i would double check everything again and see if it couldn't be something else. Are the fans working ok on the PSU?

I haven't added/ changed hardware in a few months. It just started doing this last week. I can tell when its gonna lock to, cause my OC gets really loud. You heard the HDD's spin up and then you hear click.... click. than everything is froozen. No errors, no BSOD, nothing. I am clueless.

Do you have another hard drive you can put in the system to see if the problem is isolated to just the HD or the added load?

yeah I tried it with just one hdd and it seemed on. I have both hdd's in now and everything seems ok. I put them on diffrent power legs though. this really stumps me. I seemed ok lastnight till I had like 5apps open and I was processing shit like crazy. Anymore suggestions ? I just moved into my own place so I can't afford to just go buy parts and have them not fix it :(

7 fans are too many fans in my opinion :(

Make sure your hard disks are attached at same ide channel as master/slave, same goes for you optical drives.

Good Luck

OldMX

Back