Drive Image silliness

honegod

[H]F Junkie
back in the day, when my brain worked right, I used PowerQuest Drive Image to create a backup bootable copy of my OS harddrive, on a separate drive, unplugged but mounted.
so that when I got a virus, or the drive caught on fire,
I could just swap plugs into the backup and carry on.
I very much liked PowerQuest and bought their products seeing it as money well spent, phone techs walking me through DOS magic to get everything sorted out the way I wanted.

then Symantec bought PowerQuest and all that stopped.

I have win 10 running on a 960evo M.2
I have a 970pro M.2 in the other slot.
I want to copy the install on the evo onto the pro and would like to put images of the install on other harddrives as backup, I LIKE how I have this install setup and want to keep it.

ghost, trueimage just do not fill me with the serene confidence that Drive Image did.
is there a standout in this field that I can confidently put my faith in for this task ?

back in the day, when my brain worked right, I used PowerQuest Drive Image to create a backup bootable copy of my OS harddrive, on a separate drive, unplugged but mounted.
so that when I got a virus, or the drive caught on fire,
I could just swap plugs into the backup and carry on.
I very much liked PowerQuest and bought their products seeing it as money well spent, phone techs walking me through DOS magic to get everything sorted out the way I wanted.

then Symantec bought PowerQuest and all that stopped.

I have win 10 running on a 960evo M.2
I have a 970pro M.2 in the other slot.
I want to copy the install on the evo onto the pro and would like to put images of the install on other harddrives as backup, I LIKE how I have this install setup and want to keep it.

ghost, trueimage just do not fill me with the serene confidence that Drive Image did.
is there a standout in this field that I can confidently put my faith in for this task ?
AOMEI Backupper will do that, its what i use most
https://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-backupper.html

Macrium Reflect is free and a great all round tool.

There are a number of free and aid apps you can choose from, and for most situations any of them will give you what you need. If you are imaging to move to dissimilar hardware and especially if a base windoes system does not include the drivers than make sure you choose an option where you can mount the image file as a disk so you can slipstream in the right drivers.

backupper is free too....
1657911947423.png

Since you are using Samsung drives specifically you can use the Samsung Data Migration utility that will also resize partitions. I've used it 4-5 times over the years and it was flawless. I used to migrate from a Samsung 840 evo to a Samsung 970 evo plus.

Easeus To-Do Backup. I have purchased and use regularly Easeus To-Do Backup Free, Workstation, and Server editions. Also have a technician license for EaseUs Partition Master that will run from a bootable USB drive, WinPE environment. The bootable image option was exclusive to the Technician license when I bought it, probably still is. The EaseUs interface isn't what I consider ideal but it works fine.

I used to use Clonezilla for this task for many years but the source partition being larger than the destination was a big problem. Had to shrink partitions ahead of time, then possibly defrag several times, shrink again, etc to get it shrunk. Went with Partition Master after that and never looked back.

1657912079255.png

Edit: As far as keeping images, like Clonezilla can do, I would probably just do a P2V on your system. Physical to virtual conversion and keep a VHDX or VDI file with your data in it. Disk2vhd application. If you have a catastrophe you can attach that to a hypervisor on any machine to get the data back.

Last edited:
a primary goal was to clone the OS from the 250g 960evo to the 500g 970pro.
so I can swap them as bootable.
the samsung app was simple and did exactly that thing.
swapped boot priority to M2.2 from M2.1
the 970 is operating as C drive, the 960 is now G

while I was in the Bios I FINALLY figured out how to get the memory xmp profile working.
so I got the 32g running at 3600, up from 2133.

If you have a catastrophe you can attach that to a hypervisor on any machine to get the data back.
this sounds like a modern take on booting to a floppy to install a OS image from a storage drive onto a fresh C drive. (Drive Image)
it gets rid of the floppy but looks no less complicated.

Back