DotNET framework dependent programs?

SkaarjMaster

[H]ard|Gawd
Not sure if I'm posting in the right section, but I was wondering if there was a list anywhere of the programs (or at least common programs) dependent on each version of .NET framework. Anyone? I'm fairly certain MS Visual Studio and possibly MS Silverlight are, but beyond that I'm not sure. Thank you.

There's an innumerable number of programs that utilize the .Net framework. The "common programs" will indicate the minimum version they need and/or embed the framework installer with their own installer.

The more interesting question, to me at least, is what happened that spurred this thread?

I think simply keeping your machine patched with all required and recommended patches is the best advice to give. Trying to get selective with the .Net framework versions and their updates against a (personal) list of apps that rely on them will be an exercise in futility.

As for that other forum thread you started... If you're getting Dr. Watson error reports constantly from using Explorer, and you've followed the sticky in the 'Networking and Security" forums for virus removal and OS fixes, then consider doing a repair installation of Windows so that your programs stay intact but resets the core OS. After that, just keep running Microsoft Update until it's fully patched.

Good luck!

Like that other thread says, I ran the Windows update cache cleaner and tried to duplicate the Explorer/DrWatson error and could not; of course, that doesn't mean my computer is fixed. I'm guessing I'd have to re-enable Explorer in DEP again to be sure. Anyway, Dr. Watson is part of NET framework 2, so I figured if I uninstalled it then at least my computer wouldn't lock up because that's when it locked up (of course, I'd have uninstall 4, 3.5 and 3 first).

I'll probably just wait until I have the error again and then run Windows Repair and go from there. I also haven't run TweakNow RegCleaner in a while either.

Anyway, Dr. Watson is part of NET framework 2, so I figured if I uninstalled it then at least my computer wouldn't lock up because that's when it locked up (of course, I'd have uninstall 4, 3.5 and 3 first).
You're confusing the relationship -- Dr. Watson is an error debugger utility, which is installed as part of Windows XP. It was invoked because your machine is currently set to dump to it when an application crash happens.

Details

Last edited:
OK, so the NET framework thing installed that says Dr Watson must just be some sort of update or telling Dr Watson to also consider NET Framework 2 errors. Anyway, what would happen if I set the auto value to 0 in that link in the registry? It seems to me that then if I got an explorer error, Dr Watson would not even run, correct?

OK, so the NET framework thing installed that says Dr Watson must just be some sort of update or telling Dr Watson to also consider NET Framework 2 errors. Anyway, what would happen if I set the auto value to 0 in that link in the registry? It seems to me that then if I got an explorer error, Dr Watson would not even run, correct?
This topic is pushing toward more advanced debugging/tracing. If you really want to dive in, you'll want to read up on WinDbg, various posts from Mark Russinovich's blog (link), and getting to know stack trace dumps from .Net applications -- assuming they haven't been too obfuscated.

Then again... If you just want to get your machine back running smoothly within a reasonable period of time, then follow some of the suggestions I made earlier in this thread.

Last edited:
Back