Document redirection with Windows 7

k1pp3r

[H]F Junkie
I have noticed something odd about Win 7 and document redirection, it appears that Win 7 treats document redirection as a true network drive. The issue with this is that when you delete an item, its gone, does not go to the recycle bin.

In Windows XP with document redirection enabled, you can delete an item from my docs and it goes to the recycle bin.

I have tested this on three windows 7 PC's and each time it deletes the item without sending it to recycle bin. However XP does

Its kinds throwing me for a loop, is there a work around for this? Or has anyone else noticed it

That is interesting. I am looking at moving to Windows 7 in the near future at work and we do folder redirection. If this is the case then we are going to have to warn our users.

i have seen this happen in all cases of folder redirection, winxp and win7.

previous version - http://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-7/restore-previous-version-folder-windows-7/

that is a nice thing for XP and Win7

Thanks, however i have tested on several Windows XP box's with doc redirection, every time, it sends the item to the recycle bin.

Also, i would rather not have users using the previous version tool. I would much rather they just contact me to restore that file they deleted. I run 4 hour incrementals however if the darn thing would go to the recycle bin in Win 7 it wouldn't be an issue

We are using folder redirection in Windows 7 for our users here at work, recycle bin works fine for us.

We are using folder redirection in Windows 7 for our users here at work, recycle bin works fine for us.

What level is your Domain controller? I can't think of anything else that could affect this.

its in 2003 mode. But that shouldn't make a difference. My fileserver is 2008. Also if you show all hidden files there will be a $recycle.bin file in each redirected location on the file server.

Here is whats really strange to me lol

Testing on one Win 7 machine it prompts "perm delete item" On a different computer, it says send to recycle bin (ends up in the hidden recycler)

Odd, maybe his recycle bin got corrupted

Back